Should Gay Marriage Be Legalized?

Say what you mean and mean what you say.

• Yes, indeed
  • No, nay, never

Most Helpful Girl

• Sorry..but, I do not think it should be legalized..But, that is my opinion...

Though, since I am in the United States..and people should have their rights..I guess..that means their rights to gay marriage...But, unfortunately, I am being selfish when I say that I would not like it legalized..I am christian and have high morals..and have been raised differently. Not to mention, (my selfish view) where I would not want my children to be influenced into being gay themselves, if you have a choice, then you are going to be thinking about that choice..if you do not have a choice, then you would never think about it in the first place (that is about the bi-sexuals for the most part). I also think gays, lesbians, and bi-sexuals are taking this out of hand..What I mean, is that most people I come across are bi-sexual. How can you be bi-sexual? Apparently, scientists say that gays or lesbians are "born" that way..apparently a chemical imbalance in someones brain..okay, well what about about bi-sexuals? I really can't see someone being bi-sexual. I honestly think that 45% of gays, lesbians, or bi-sexuals weren't born that way..they had problems with the opposite gender..and bi-sexuals are just caught up in the media..trying to be sexy and look cool..especially the women who are bi-sexuals. I am sorry..but, there is no two way street..either you are one or the other. But, that is just my opinion..and I know I will be downed for this one..but, it is my opinion, and you asked ;-)

What Girls Said 24

• Yes! There's no reason gays shouldn't be allowed to marry. People who think otherwise shouldn't be allowed to authorize another's happiness. It's not an outsider's say as to whether or not it's "right." Love is love. Trying to stop it is just futile and petty.

• Yes Gay people also deserve to be unhappy in holly matrimony just like all the unhappy middle aged straight couples too.

• I can feel the love.

• Just me and my sarcastic humor. I have gay friends and I really do care. I think I heard it on colbert or on prairie home companion

• Just pullin your leg. I don't know why pulling legs is popular.

• Yes. I think it should be. What they're doing doesn't affect you or the way you choose to raise a family. If you're concerned about them going to hell for it (which I think I b.s.) obviously they don't have the same beliefs, more room for you in your heaven. As far as its being unnatural, no one has the right to call anything unnatural, nature is everything on earth, thus everything is natural. My brother is gay, and he is an amazing person and will be an amazing father one day, and some gay guys aren't and will be sh*tty dads, just like some straight guys rock and some are sh*tty. Live and let live.

• yes , they are like me and you . No one has the right to prevent someone else from being in love with another person just because they are of the same gender. If two men or women decide to get married , why should I try to stop them from sharing their happiness? ..

• Yes. I think all people deserve the same rights. I've yet to see a good reason why it shouldn't be legalized. In fact, pretty much the only arguments I see are religious arguments, and religion should be kept separate from government.

• Yes it definitely should be legal. I'm not gay, but if two grown individuals should be able to get married, no matter what their sex is. As long as I won't have to be gay, I don't mind anyone getting married!

• F*** yeah! Before religion, homosexuality was completely acceptable / tolerated in most societies. Homophobia is discrimination. It's just like white people saying that black people are below them, but instead of black people being discriminated against, it's homosexual people.

Plus I'm bi, my brother is secretly gay but is just in denial about it and most of my friends are gay or bi. Everyone deserves to have the right to show their love for another person. Who are we to decide on other people’s happiness? Gays are people too. They have feelings, they feel pain, and they feel love.

How would straight people feel if the roles were reversed? What if gay people were the majority? How would straight people feel if they weren't allowed to get married to the person they loved just because of who they loved? You'd be pissed. You'd be hurt. You would demand equal rights. You would feel like f***ing sh*t. And yet you continue to discriminate against people just because of who they loved and because of their preference. It’s just like how some girl prefers intelligent guys over moronic ones. We don’t discriminate her for that, so why do we discriminate against gays who prefer their own sex?

• Yes, everyone has the right to love, it isn't up to anyone else to decide the faith of two people. Wither people accept it or not it not about "us". Marriage is about 2 people wanting to commit to each other for the rest of their lives.

• I say yes. Most importantly, I believe gay couples should have the privileges of marriage such as insurance benefits, visitation at the hospital and so on. . .

• yes it should. I don't see why not.

• Absolutely YES!

• I must say you have exquisite tasts in skirts.

• Yes, definitely. It shouldve never been illegal in the first place

• Love is love!

• yeah my uncle has been with his husband for 4 years now and they had a cival ceramony and it was better than a normal wedding. I think that they shoud be legalised totally. x

• no, people are so stupid.

• Hell no. They can have a relationship and I'm not against gays and whatnot, but I'm not going to support the obstruction of the traditional institution of marriage.

• Totally true, there is no respect anymore, it's like saying IT'S OK! for anything...WHY NOT!...i think in the year 2100, it will like IT'OK to kill, WHY NOT! and if someone says NO, how can you say that, they will tell you HEY it's the year 2100 & not 2011...marriage is only made for a man & a lady, so if your abnormal, it's your problem, but I can't legalize murders & criminals to legalize you gay marriage, society had enough from diacritics & family chaos...

• Gay marriage existed as long as marriage existed. It was only when people started thinking f** love was wrong that the concept became separated, the fact that gay marriage was made separate from marriage is the de-institutionalisation that your referring to, not the other way around.

• I agree with you, sweet_18 *love*

• Ja, it should be. I see nothing wrong with it, though the church owns this department tis why I guess it's argued so much in our liberative USA.

• NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NEVER!

• yes, they have a right to be with the ones they love. Though I don't think they should be able to adopt a child... think how that child would grow up to be?

• you should do some research into children of gay parents. You'll find that they aren't any worse off then then those of heterosexual parents.

• Yeah, they might actually grow up tolerant and not at all bigoted.

How terrible! A whole generation of kids raised not to hate gay people.

• fine. I still don't think it's a great idea.

• I thought law is suppose to protect people's welfare, security, rights etc.. To allow/legalized gay marriages or not is due to religion or believe differences. And this doesn't have anything to do with harming other people's welfare, infringing other people's rights, does it? So yes, it should be legalized.

• If religious institutions disagree with that notion, reinforcing ultra strict rules against gays to suppress people from being gays may actually work for the worse as socially and legally suppressed people have a higher tendency to go against what people want them to be and this will work against the religious institutions idea of hindering/discouraging people to be gay after all.

• If you love someone you love someone, no matter what gender, age (well age alittle not under 18) if a bird and a cat love each other, let them!

• of course. there's nothing wrong with gay marriage

• Yes it should..Come on people it's 2011 times have changed.

Traditional or not they are still people at the end of the day..what ever happened to equality for all?.

• I don't see what the big deal is. I'm for equal rights for everyone. Including single females.

Here's my rant: Why should I have to pay higher taxes just cause I'm not married, whether I'm gay or straight? My local gym offers discounted rates to people with spouses or partners. Why can't I get the same discounted rate? Sorry that I'm single, guess I'll just pay the extra fifteen bucks a month to work out.

• Just about your rant, is it discounted if their partners join aswell, or just discounted if they have a spouse period?

If it's the former, that makes sense as they're giving a discount for 2 memberships. If it's the latter, just say you're married. Are they going to ask for a certificate? (and if it's the latter that sounds like discrimination).

• It is discounted if the partners join. I do think that it shows discrimination though in either case. The fact is that I'm paying more for the same service that another person doesn't have to pay as much for. Just the same as with my taxes. Life is actually more difficult for single people because we do not have someone to financially have our backs. So why are married people getting breaks simply because of their status as married? RANT!

What Guys Said 22

• it's another indictment of the pathetic human race that this debate is still happening in 2011. advanced humans should understand that there are bigger problems than who wants to be married to who.

• Yeah, you can't be treating people like second-class citizens.

• Just answered a question virtually the same. Copy and paste of that answer.

---------

There's only a few reasons to be against homosexual marriage.

1: Your religion.

Tough luck, it's a secular society. Are you against atheists and muslims marrying too?

2: It's gross and not natural.

That's your personal opinion, and it doesn't effect you anyhow. Your bias can't be used as an objective argument.

3: I'm hetro so why should I care?

Because it's a formalised discrimination. It's as stupid as saying "I'm white slavery doesn't effect me why should I care?"

4: Marriage should be about creating a family.

So what about parents that can't have children (sterile). Are they now required to divorce?

5: I don't think 2 gays or 2 lesbians should be parents.

That's a different question. This isn't about their right to adopt or have surrogates, this is about marriage. Two different issues and questions.

6: Why don't they have a civil union or domestic partnership.

Because it's creating two pieces of paper for the same thing. It reminds of the "Whites only" taps and the "colored" taps in apartide. If it's good enough, for a secular society, to have marriage as a legal term for everyone regardless of faith (see point 1) then it should ALSO be good enough regardless of gender.

----

At the end of the day, most peoples hatred seems to stem either from a religious point or from a "I hate gays" point. Both of these are completely irrelevent in a secular no bias society.

• I don't mind civil unions and such but callin it marriage is a little like calling baseball 'AMerican cricket.' It's not historically valid and downright silly in respect to most gay relationships, although some of the gay relationships are pretty much like marriage.

• That's discrimination and not right.

• It's reality and if you do't like reality, well, Fiona, not the first ime I've told you you have a problem.

• Yes

• Yes

as I'm gay

• Hmm gay marriage is legal in my state of Massachusetts and there is nothing different here than anywhere else. No destruction of moral values or anything. People should have the same rights and options as everybody else in the world that's how I see it.

• If the government doesn't regulate which straight people can get married, why is the same not true for gays/lesbians? Is it religious reasons? I don't appreciate that idea for one minute that these policies are religiously driven. Religion belongs in churches, politics belong on Capitol Hill. I don't see gay marriage as being such a big problem in itself, it's the idea that people's traditions and views of the world are being challenged and changed. I can't count the number of people that subtly give off hints that they think homosexuals are somehow more promiscuous than heterosexuals...yet they are trying to MARRY?

Come on idiots, quit fighting these petty little battles. We have way more important things to be worrying about than issues that don't even bother you anyway. Legalize it.

• Same sex marriage is legal in New Zealand. It has been for over 2 years now. It still is illegal in Australia and as a result of this many gay and lesbian Australians are making the 3 to 3.5 hour flight to New Zealand so they can have a legal marriage.

• No, gay couples can f*ck themselves for all I care, I'm the most typical guy so marriage for me is a serious bound between men and women, I'm against the term "gay" in general, and can never imagine my children, siblings to be gay, it's just inhuman, I expect all of people to disagree so go ahead!

• Yes.. It's part of our moving forward. The sooner the better. Change is good, discrimination is not.

• Yes, but 'm not to sure about the topic of them raising children. However, that is a whole different topic to debate.

• no,im not homophobic,i think gays have a right to have a relationship,thats their business,but marriage is strictly meant to be between a man and a woman.

• Yeah why not? What rights and privileges are they taking away from you? How does a gay couple getting married affect your life negatively in any way?

• I'm not here to judge others. I was merely interested in the opinions of others. I struggle with the issue myself as so many people claim to be what I think of as true homophiles, yet Paul spoke strongly against the practice. I do not have the answer, so I certainly don't judge anyones plight.

• Sure

With gay marriage comes gay divorce.

Gays should face the same consequences of marriage we straits have to go through.

• I don't care either way

• F*** YESS ANAL ALL THE WAY

• Are you gay, grandpa? Iyi cakiyorlarmi bari sana. :))))

• NO, and here is why,... marriage is a religious institution, the definition of marriage requires a man and a woman , not 2 men, not 2 women and not a humans and animals, I'm not against the gays they can have the equivalent of marriage legally, they can have the same rights as a married couple but it's wouldn't be marriage, because marriage is derived from religion which in essence is against homosexuality, saying gay people should be legally married is like saying atheist people should have the right to build a Church it's absurd...

• never, they are committing unnatural acts. Biologically speaking sex is for reproduction same sex couples can't do this. This is an abomination to society and should be recognized as a crime.

• I thought gays were allowed to marry.

• f*ck you michele bachmann advertisement, and screw traditional marriage. legalize it