Do you believe in marriage in High School?

I keep hearing all of my friends talk about marriage when they are my age. It's like they won't be happy unless they get married right away, or get pregnant. I think I've heard "I'm engaged" so many times from so many of my friends that I'm starting to get sick of it. I mean, why would an 18-20 year old worry about marriage? Much less 16 year olds! So are you for it? Against it? What do you think?

• Yeah Go for it!
  • Nah, I'd rather wait
  • I don't care..

Most Helpful Guy

• why would anyone want to get married at that age, live life a little first. it doesn't make sense to me to commit to something like that so young, but to each there own.

What Guys Said 19

• I did not want to get married before 25 and not have children before 30. I met both of my goals.and glad I did so. The divorce rate of kids getting married in high school is really high. A child in high school still has a lot of physical and emotinal maturing to do. There is much that a person can look forward to after high school. I also think that this children in high school have no idea what having a baby / child really involves. Even at 30, I felt so unprepared. However, I know I was much more ready for it than I would have been at 17. As you can guess, I am very much against marriage and children until well after high school.

• I personally don't care - if people want to get married go for it.

For me, I sure as hell would never have gotten married after high school no matter who the girl was. I'm not going to decide on a woman afrter searching my entire gym and math class - I need to have some time and meet different people and go to different places. On top of this I'd like to establish some sort of career path and become more mature to take on the responsibility. I've matured a lot since high school, but even now, if I did have a lady I wouldn't want to marry until at least 2 years from now

• Statistically speaking teenaged marriages have a poor rate of success. The two of you still have raging hormones and are not emotionally ready to settle with one person for a long term marriage. They talk about marriage so young because their hormones are raging so far out of control they can't separate their desire to f*** the opposite gender with real feelings of love.

• I would like to point out that while teen marriges have low success ratings the highest success rating come from high school sweethearts meaning yea there is nothing wrong with marrying your high school bf/gf...just don't marry them while your still that damn young

• I'd have no problem with 16-year olds living together, just to get the experience they needed before marriage, but walking down the aisle at your age seems irresponsible and probably explains the high divorce rate.

Love is a wonderful thing, and no-one can dispute the feelings of two people if they are healthy and legal. Marriage is a legal contract, to be taken seriously like any other.

• Go for it if you are sure and if everybody around you agree. You should talk with your parents at that age and lidten to the. Mostly because one is not that independent in that age most of times.

• People are basically 12 years old until they're 30 these days. I'm now just starting to get a handle on being an adult and I've been doing adult things for over ten years.

• There are all fools for getting married during and after high school I guarantee half of them will be divorced by 20. Same thing happen to me when I was in high school and same thing happen to my dad when he was in highschool. Its just stupidity of the youth these days.

• I don't have a problem of marriage at any age just as long as you can afford EVERYTHING, ex: say a 16 and 15 year old got married and for whatever reason the 15 and 16 year old have money in the 5 zeros each then yeah go for it just as long as they know they gotta go to school study etc. and work a part time to add to a 5 zero digit income (which a number greater than zero in front of the 5 zeros) . But as long as you can afford everything and have it all set up and its legal wherever you live marriage to me at any age is fine.

• Marriage in High School? No way! Marriage is for adult people.

• Weird... in my school, no one dreamed of getting married. Everyone had a 'F*ck Bitches, Get Money!' attitude lol.

• I think it's to early to make a disstion like that. wile every one dreams of falling in love and marring their high-school sweetheart, it just doesn't happen all that often.

• It really depends how mature individuals are emotionally.. but.

When you're just happy to be with someone, you tend to over-appreciate the situation. (And high school is the most overdramatized part of adulthood. And this definitely reflects that.)

Hormones abound, our opinion won't change these people. Let them live. :]

• i think high school is too young to get married. teenagers don't think things through. teenagers rarely even get to know their boyfriend/girlfriend well

• If they REALLY love each other and wanna deal with it, than sure. But they shouldn't because 99% of the time people change between high school and college and that almost always is a big reason the relationship ends. Do you really wanna be divorced at such a young age? lol.

• I actually had friends who got married and divorced 7 months later. They are my age as well. Got married straight out of high school.

• thats a bad idea

• Wait emotions as a teenager are like monkey sh*t one second it is just starting to you know and then they are flying all over the place ... If this doesn't make sense whatever it made sense in my head

• No

• I think girls tend to worry about marriages before, than boys. Boys have to settle down first and then to think about marriage. It is just one scenario, there may be hundred other. Girls are ...ummmmmmmmmmmm...girls...lolzzzz

• It hurts when you get pregnant under age you can still get married under 18 is OK by me

What Girls Said 39

• 18-20 isn't really high school. But I see what you mean. I knew one girl who was 'engaged' when she was 14-I know :S. Well not too surprisingly it didn't work out, they never got married, broke up like 6 months after they were 'engaged'. I am 21 and I am thinking about more long-term relationships, I don't think it's too early then. I don't want to wait till I'm 50 to have kids, I know what I want in a relationship, I have one more year left of college and then I will be working. A lot of my friends are either married or are on their second kid. I would love to have kids someday, but unfortunately its hard to find a guy with the same life plan as me.

But I don't see why a person in high school would be worried about marriage. I know that I am not the same person in high school as I am now. Its about brain maturity, it doesn't mature until your early to mid 20's. But a lot of high school girls where I live are getting pregnant because they think they are ready :S. Which they are not, of course. I guess they are worried about it because it's something that every girl dreams about, and they are so young that they don't see how much money it takes to actually get married or have a kid. I wish they would realistically give them a class that would show them how much they would need.

• Well I still have friends who are in high school and I was speaking generally. I'm 19 but I still think that's too young to get married.

• well its the fact if you ask any teenager what they think of themselves on the maturity scale they would a say 7 or 8, when they are still a 5. They see other young people getting engaged and doubt they will ever be married. I have always wanted a baby, and when I was 16 I would dream of what it was like to be a mom, and wife. I still do, and I have been engaged, it was the he was the guy my family wanted, and I was not getting any younger. and it fell threw when I realized he was not for me. and right now I would say I am 6 or 7 maybe. But people who have long lasting relationship and long marriages normally have the following:

College or some form or trade ( for men or a woman if she is the bread winner)

The understanding a marriage takes a lot of work,

and that they a compatible

and most people will change from the time they are 16 to 23, I know from 20 to 21 my veiws and personally changed, my brain is still growing. and as lot as it is growing I am still becoming the person I will be for my whole life. and that's what most kids do not understand. He might be wonderful now, but see how he is under pressure... see how he is when he has to work because you had a child at 16... I'm glad to see someone who is younger then me understand being engaged and married and having a baby while still in high school is not good

I had a friend who had a kid, and she droped out and works at places like MCD and wendys for the rest of her life till that kid is old enough to care for him more. and same for the baby daddy seeing they got married.

and my other friend 17 with a kid, the dad left, and she was pulled from school annd her mother is totally crazy when it come to that kid, if my friend Emily leaves that baby alone for 5 minutes she gets yelled at for being a bad mom. She can not work, go to school nothing till that kid is 5 or she moves out, which is nnot gonna happen anytime soon, and most marriages this early in life fail.

• I am a completely different person now than I was at 16 and making a commitment like that at that age would just be stupid.

• i would wait until I'm in my mid 20s to get married,too young and immature to get married at such a young age of 14-18

• Yikes! Marriage in high school? Don't do it! High school and college are some of the best and most fun years of your life. Marriage isn't like a TV show where everybody has a cool job but they never actually GO to work and are portrayed as having fun, fun, fun all the time. Life in the real world is hard, sometimes boring, and incredibly stressful. Add a baby to all that and it's a recipe for depression, child abuse, divorce, etc. Teens are not ready for marriage and all the responsibilities associated with it. It is a fantasy to think that marriage during high school/teen years is a bed of roses. Even adults much older, wiser, and mature have to really work at making marriage and child-rearing work.

• I can't imagine having to go to class in COLLEGE and then say, "Sorry, can't go out, have to get home to my HUSBAND." Never even mind high school. If you're truly in love, you can at lesat wait until graduation. If you can't wait, you're not in love.

• Nooo!

I see at my school to, makes my think. "hey I don't even have a boyfriend right now, and some pple already are engaged?" makes me depressed :p

I don't think you have explored what you really want in life. if you go to college, look at all the couples who break up during those four years, few survive going into college. it is rare/

it is not rare to find someone in college and then go on to marry them.

• I think it's funny. Marraige is a serious thing, and would be with the person you want to spend your whole life with, real life with. Real life is bills, misunderstandings and jobs/secondary education. If you do find that person in highschool, props to you, because I think it would be a miracle! I don't plan on getting married until I'm at least 26, and have dated for at least a year ^_^

• I'm sick of hearing it too. Especially because the way I look at it as I've been in a relationship for over 3 years and the last thing I'm thinking about is getting married. So hearing couples that have been in a relationship for less than a year or somewhere around that, it makes me not angry, but sort of want to bash their heads in and be like "things change after time and so could your feelings." For me personally, I don't believe marriage in high school will last the majority of the time because people rush into it. I see it as you have the rest of your life ahead of you, and if that person wants to be with you for the rest of your life, you have plenty of time before you have to worry about getting married.

• It is too young to be getting married and a lot of those relationships won't last because of that, I've wanted to be married to my boyfriend since I was that age but I wouldn't do it until I was at least in my 20's. Some of those marriages do work though so people shouldn't immediately think the worst.

• If you're so in love, you can wait. >>;

Putting that much pressure on an already shakey teen relationship...asking for trouble

• Nope, I'm 17 years old and I love being single! I don't want to be tied down for a long time, I mean, I'm not opposed to a relationship, but I certainly am not thinking about marriage. I think marriage generally, like "do I believe in marriage" or I wonder when I'll get married and start a family, but it's my mind wandering, not worry or concern over my relationship status. I want to live, I want to be independent for a while and live life

• I wouldn't say that's the smartest idea for people to do :/ but its totally possible that it could lead to a successful marriage what lasts for ages :D

• Against it.

People change after their teens and early twenties. That's when the brain fully matures. Once they start changing they may not want the same things. If they're really committed to each other waiting won't hurt them. People who wait a while generally just have their lives together more. They have a a bit more education or a steady job, or just more knowledge of the world.

• No. I don't think marriage in high school would last much.

• I know I would never get married so young. I want to be able to live, do what I want, and have a life for myself before I'm stuck with one person for the rest of my life. And a lot of people I know aren't mature or responsiable enough to be married. I'm responsiable, but I couldn't even keep a damn fish alive, so how could I be married? lol

• Don't follow the cheep , try to be different ,and to choose what you like most not what others do most, it shows higher IQ ! ;-) It is very early for marriage at that age, I'd rather wait, it isn't that there is an age for marriage but it is only that at this age you need to discover life and live it to the maximum, you'll have enough time later for engagements, responsibilities and serious real life problems and obstacles ! Enjoy your young age !

• people should wait until they're older. I've known so many people in high school saying they're engaged, and they break up before they even get married. one girl I knew got pregnant, and her and her boyfriend were planning on marriage. next thing I know, she's had her baby, and he's not in the picture. high school is to date and see what you want. not to get married to someone. and even if it does, most young marriages end in divorce.

• if you talk to a high school boy for any length of time, you will lose yoru faith in high school marraige, or any high school girl for that matter.

• its a time when you are still exploring all of your options and the last thing you need is a commitment like that weighing you down and preventing you from experiencing the end of your childhood.

• GOODNESS GRACIOUS... WAIT.

• Marrying someone who you met in high school, but long after graduating, I can understand. But actually getting married in high school is, in my opinion, not only rash but also pretty pointless. Besides, high school students are children. Most of them actually couldn't legally get married, without a parent's consent, depending on location. Needing a parent's permission to get married defeats the whole meaning of what it means to be married in the first place. It's not playing house.

• I don't ever want to be married.

• bad idea. they on't be able to support themselves and will be divorced before they can blink.

• Bad idea. Not because they may not be in love, but they can't support themselves financially.

• it's way too young to get married

• I don't believe in marriage, high school or not.

• No, your brain isn't even fully developed until your around 25-26.

• wait, things will hit, you in the end.

• i click c on accident I meant b

• I'm Asian and in my culture, girls get married as young as 12- or 13 year olds. 1 church girl got married at 12, she is now 29 and she has 3 kids. Another church girl got married at 16 (he sister is the one that got married at 12), she is now 22 and has 2 kids. In our culture, when you get married, you live with the husband's family and they are suppose to support you. As in they will give you money for free housing (you live with them), free car (they or your husband buys it for you), and free food. so no worries about place to live, car, or food. You might want to work a little bit for money for clothes, that's about it.

I think if they are really serious and both the families are supportive, then marriage is fine. I don't like how my husband when he was 17 and was living with a 15 year old, they didn't get married. I feel like he was just "playing around" which makes me mad. Why are you just playing around with sex, living with one another if you are not serious about love? It makes me think that he might not be serious about love and life with me.

he is not Asian and is Caucasion. he was with a hispanic girl and they lived at her mom's boyfriend's house. They lived together when he was 17-19 and they had a lot of sex, and he enjoyed it with her but he wasn't ready for marriage and didn't know who he was yet and blah blah blah so that's why he let her cheat on him with many guys and kick him out of the place he was staying at with her. I mean WTF? Why were you having sex with soemone you were not planning to marry and why were you living with her and having sex with her possibly having her babies if you did not think "marriage?"! I guess maybe it is hard for me to understand because my culture is different. You would only have sex and live together with someone if you consider marriage with them. That's how our culture is, and there is low divorce rate with our culture.

He is the first guy I am living with and ever had sex with and I only did this when I was 24 going on 25. WE ARE MARRIED and I plan to stay with him.

• More from Girls
    9