What do you think about teen age marriage?

I have a friend who's boyfriend proposed to her because he is going to the military, so that he has money for college and she is only 16,(he's 19) but then have know each other for year but just started going out like 3 years ago. What do you think?

Most Helpful Girl

• Stupid! I know that with the military there are plenty of advantages to it, but NO. You do so much growing personality-wise in your 20's that they will end up being almost totally different people than they are now. Statistically, they have like a 1 in 9 chance of lasting. Plus, he better check with the military. They have a big issue with underage sex, and at 16, she can get married, but many states will still consider it statutory rape until she turns 17. And the military has its own laws about those things, and usually does not allow it (if a soldier is caught with anyone underage, it can be a big enough issue to get you in a lot of trouble).

Plus, if he's active duty and married, he gets housing wherever they put him after basic and any extra training he gets. She'd most likely be moving during high school onto a base and living there, wouldn't she? By herself, I assume? Because while young military wives are common, as a military brat, I can say I know of none that young on the bases I've been on. If he's going Reserve, though, it would be different. That makes a big difference.

If they really want to be together, they can stay together and wait until she's done with high school at least. If it's money for college, he can go reserve and get his $40,000 and do ROTC or Military Science, then go 4 years active duty as Green-to-Gold, becoming an officer. That's the best choice, especially right now. Everyone I know who has gone into the military in the pst few years has gone to Iraq and Afghanistan, including my sister, my brother-in-law, and my cousin. The only one not deployed is my brother, and that's because he's doing linguistics training. The Green-to-Gold or ROTC through a local college would be the best choice for him, that way they could marry after she's done with school and they wouldn't have to worry about all of the issues they may face.

What Guys Said 7

• Terrible idea. Do not do it. So many reasons why this does not work.

• I think it's a foolish and unnecessary decision to make. If they are truly serious about staying together then there's no need for a piece of paper to make that happen. They can do it without the marriage.

As well, marriages entered into at their ages have little chance of lasting.

• the chances of that working are very little

shes 16, in highschool, she's gonna wanna have a boyfriend if he's in the military. cause he's not gonna be around?

• three years?

so when he was 16, she was 13?

high school soph dating 6th grader?

nobody should marry before 21 IMO

nobody should start going out before high school

oh where are the parents?

Underage marriage must be approved by parents or by the court

Are you in Arkansas?

• Hey! I'm from Arkansas and I'm 24 without a marriage to my brother or a kid! Some of us are smart down here! ;)

• No where not in arkansas, and there parents are ok with it

• Hah, I know. We gets lots of, well, we'll say "questionable" jokes. ;)

• Steer clear! You can't fully know yourself at either age. I found so much out each year in college. I found out more after college and am still discovering more each year. I'm not ready, and the friend I have that got hitched early are having big problems.

Make sure the heart and the head are on an even playing field in this decision.

• That marriage has already failed before it even started.

• First of all, I have to say that the military pays extra for being married, and more for each child. That being said, if they haven't had sex yet, that could also be an ulterior motive. I had several friends in high school who got engaged for the sole purpose of having sex with their girlfriend who refused to have sex unless they were married. Some to multiple girls at a time. Anyway, once they were engaged, it was much easier to get them into bed, because they have that commitment that they wanted and their guard is down, because they think they're getting married. Most of these guys however, have no intention of ever marrying these girls, and not a single one ever actually did. Good luck to your friend.

What Girls Said 3

• Not one chance in anything of it working! Have a somewhat similar story only ages are 22 and 21 with no better results.

Can't believe that either set of parents aren't squashing this before it happen's. Her being 16 I am not familiar with a state which makes them legal!

• Marriage at 16 is legal with parental consent

but still... WHY??????????

• Ouch that sux

• Thankz for the comment

• I think it's ultimately her decision but I think it would be difficult for me to get married if I was in the middle of high school! Personally, I want to graduate from college before I commit myself to marriage, but then again, life doesn't give a shit about your plans so who knows!

• They've only known each other fora year but have been going out for three years?

And it sounds silly to me. I have nothing against teenage marriage, but 16 is pushing it. She'll expect marriage tasks and he'll be nowhere to be seen.