What are some downsides in getting married as a teenage for women? Keep in mind there is not baby or anything like that just so call "love". Insight would be much apprecated.
Most Helpful Girl
1. You're still maturing and learning who you are as an person. People change throughout their lives, but a significant amount of change and discovery happens when you're in your teens and twenties. You might get married, but then find that yourselves going in different directions, having different dreams and aspirations, and no longer being compatible.
2. I'm not one to say that age is necessarily indicative of how mature someone is (there are teens who are quite mature, and adults who are quite immature), but maturity does come with experience, and you gain experience over time. When you're young, your views about love and relationships are generally quite immature. That's not to say that teens can't truly love each other, but it isn't uncommon to get love mixed up with lust, infatuation, the warm, fuzzy butterfly feelings you get, etc.---and a life-long commitment requires a lot more than just love and good feelings. Experience with different relationships helps you learn what you really want in a relationship, what you don't want, how to communicate well and work through problems, etc. Sometimes people cling to their first loves because they think it's as "good as it gets" because they don't have anything to reference their relationship to.
3. Sometimes a lack of experience can catch up to people. They start wondering what else is out there or resent the fact that they didn't have a chance to experience being with other people, and wish that they hadn't rushed into marriage.
4. For most people, getting married as a teen means jumping from one dependent relationship (being dependent on your parents) to another (being dependent on your spouse), without ever having the chance of learning to be independent.
5. If you're truly "meant to be", there's no reason to rush into marriage. If you really think you're going to spend your lives together, does it matter if you get married right away or wait a few years?1