Should I convert to Christianity?

I'm seriously considering converting to Christianity. My mom fought breast cancer for five years and just last month she was given the all clear. I've been agnostic all my life but I feel like God has blessed me and that I have God to thank for my mom's life. I've started noticing how beautiful the wolrd is again and I can only attribute that to God.

I've spoken with the pastor of my local methodist church and he explained a few things to me and gave me a Bible to read. If I was to become a Christian it wouldn't just be on a whim and I'd want to be very committed. This, for me, includes going to church every Sunday and practising the Christian lifestyle e.g no drugs (which I don't do anyway), no sex before marriage, modesty etc. And also becoming involved in Christian causes.

I really feel this would be a positive change in my life as I went slightly off the rails when my mom was diagnosed with cancer and want to repent for things I did (drinking, sex etc). I think God has given me and my family another chance and I'm more than willing to embrace that.

I'd like to hear from practising Christians what everyday life is like? Is it difficult to lead a Chritian lifestyle? What are some challenges you have faced? Will members of the established Christian community/church fully support a convert? In modern Christian churches is everyone equal (e.g men and women)?

Thank you for you help.

Most Helpful Guy

• I am probably going to give you one of the most biased answers on here but bear with me. I am one who believes in reason and truth above all else, and yes I am atheist, very atheist. Regardless of what you choose I am happy for your mother and wish you luck.

That being said, I think you're looking for meaning that's not there. People have a tendency to look for meaning in why things happen. This comes from our desire to understand the world around us, and often that meaning is not always there. Many people who end up converting later in their lifetime, do so at a time of crisis. This is because, the church offers them an answer, the same answer they have to everything. Turn to God. God that supposedly gave you this problem in the first place.

I've said this many times on this site and in real life: God cannot be all knowing, all loving, and all powerful at the same time. If he was there would be no evil. Now I've heard the argument of free will, and in some circumstances that can be argued, however, most people will recognize that not all bad things that happen are caused by someone taking advantage of free will.

To answer the specific questions you asked: I will admit that I am not a christian so someone may correct me on this if they wish but:

Is it difficult to lead a christian lifestyle? Not likely, you pick up some new routines, have to get up early on Sundays, and feel like you have an extra person to talk to at all times.

Will members of the established Christian community support a convert? Unless you're trying to get into a radical sect outside the mainstream, yes. Christians love to convert new people, just like any other group. That's not a shot at christianity or any religion, human nature makes us want to have the same beliefs as each other.

In modern churches, is everyone equal? As far as I know yes, most of the cases I've heard about this are a church by church basis.

All of that being said, I think that if you are going to accept believing in anything, you need to critically look at what this new belief entails. As an atheist, I still accept many teachings that most churches preach, but I don't accept many others. Sit down and read the bible, and examine the stories. Most people nowadays consider the stories as metaphors so even just consider what the story is trying to teach. Then consider whether or not you want to subscribe to those teachings. Try to look at them objectively.

I for one do not subscribe to them as I do not believe there is any god. I don't even think Jesus Christ of Nazareth existed. Another problem with god is reading the bible compare the death counts between god and the devil. Also, the bible tells us that the number pi is exactly three (1 Kings 7:23). I think the story of Sodom and Gomorah is repulsive, I think god killing the first born child in the story of moses is appalling, and I don't even want to mention Job.

What Guys Said 6

• Sure, if you think it can help you in your life and solve your problems then why not and that's coming from an atheist

But, don't let it warp your whole being and disregard your own ideas in place of the religion

like if you believe homosexuality is normal, abortion can be okay and sex before marriage then keep your own views and not conpletely change your personality

• Christianity at its best is not all that hard, with plenty of support from the community around you being there to support you grow in your relationship with God and forgiving when you make your occasional stumble, which everyone has, wile helping you learn from it. unfortunately, not all christian communities are the same and all have there faults, wile some may be cold and distinct, others may reject you for sins that you have repented for and God has forgiven. If you find a bad group, know that they, like you, are human and imperfect. simply move on to a new group and pray for the last. Based on your age range, I would recommend looking for a church group at your or a local college as that they are often run by good people and will be with people around your age. Know that I will be praying for you and your search, May god bless.

• If you believe it will make you happy - I support you converting. All that matters is what you take from it. But why Christianity? Why not, Hinduism or Islam? You should consider them all and pick the one you most identify with. All I ask is you please keep an open mind and be tolerant of others. Take all of the good things from religion, and none of the bad. I'm an Athiest by the way :P

• i think if your so much on the fence about this that you need the opion of strangers to tilt you in the right direction you probably should be relgious

• there is no god girl... I really can't belive that people are that ignorant! I don't get how can you belive in go... there simply is no proof that he/she exists! PERIOD

• If you speak with knowlegeable people of the faith and it sounds like something you want to get behind, you should convert. It's your life so our opinions shouldn't really matter.

What Girls Said 5

• I'm glad to hear that your mom is doing well.

But to be honest, 1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer. Some survive and some don't. It depends on a number of things, including the stage it's detected at, the type of treatment the person receives, and how their body responds to that treatment. Whether or not someone survives breast cancer has nothing to do with whether or not they believe in a god, how much they pray, or any other superstition.

But, even if there was a god, and for some reason he chose for your mom to live while many other people's moms die from the same disease, how do you know that that god is the Christian god and not different one? link

In the end, do what makes you happy.

• Dont only consider this religion but others as well. Most religions are fairly similar. I am agnostic but if I was going to believe in anything I would be a budhist. I like this religion as it is about respecting yourself and others.

• Do what makes you happy,I'm an atheist,but I know that believing in god tends to help people,just don't become one of those bitchy Christians that try to convert everybody

• If whatever has been working for you during your hardship, why would you turn around and go against it?

• Why not read in Christainity, Islam and other religions to be able to make the right decision?

• knowledge is power...true story

• I totally agree if she finds religion is for her she should at least learn a bit of everything and then choose what she wants based on beliefs she shares. I love how open-minded you are so I voted you up.

• Thank you :) We all keep on learning ;)