Is there any point of getting married anymore?

Is marriage dead? In the past it was about offering financial security for the woman and providing a good house hold for children to grow up in but nowadays women are pretty much equal to men financially and people barely have kids anymore. I guess if you have kids it makes sense, but again it makes sense purely on a financial sense. I am not saying I don't still hold on to the idea of love and marriage it just seems very hard to phantom in the real world. Barely anyone has true love anymore. 50% of marriages end in divorce. I guess these thoughts are in my head since my Dad has been married three times already. I asked him father do you still believe in marriage and he told me only in a financial sense. He likes his new wife a lot obviously but I really doubt he loves her. It is just more convenience than anything in my opinion.

Most Helpful Girl

• I agree it's mostly for financial. But I also think that it encourages people to work harder and be more faithful. I'm not saying people in marriages don't cheat and become lazy, because they definitely do. But I've heard more than one guy say "yeah I've cheated on girlfriends, but I'd never cheat on my wife." The marriage part makes it a bigger deal. People are less likely to cheat when the commitment is that big. They're also more likely to try and work things out rather than just give up easily. Both of those things are especially important to women which is probably why women push marriage more than men do.

What Girls Said 2

• I'd like to think so. I mean if done the right way I think it conveys the degree of love shared between two people...

• Nowadays, I think marriage is just a excuse to spend money and make a big party...

I don't see myself getting married on a church or anything but if one day I want to be with a guy and go live with him and everything and, obviously, if I really love him and want to have kids I will marry him...

but, again, just because the financial support to the kids if one day it went wrong...

What Guys Said 2

• No, I see that situation from a reactive standpoint. Most people (even me at times) see it as "Marriage seems to fail a lot, people seem to be losing their morals and values, things look to be going downhill in that aspect". But when I'm not seeing it like that, I mostly see it as "Well, looks like I'll have to scrutinize extra with future partners and not commit to something that serious until we both prove ourselves".

I think a large part of the problem is people jumping into it because they either feel like they're ready for it and are "deeply, madly in love (or just really infatuated)" with a person, or they just feel like it's the next step as if they are living their life by a script or something. People don't stop to realize the seriousness of marriage, the lives it joins and affects, the consequences of things to come, all the little details that will change, etc...basically, they don't seem to be prepared for what's to come and eventually grow apart/bitter towards each other.

• Yeah so you can get divorced!