The reason I wanted to ask this is because my friend and I was discussing this earlier tonight after my other friend said he asked his girlfriend's father's permission to marry his daughter (have her hand in marriage), and how the father was surprised, as it is quite a religious thing to do (the father is a Christian, but my other friend is an atheist).
Me and my friend were intrigued to find out more about the reason for people getting married. His option is D. My option would be D, plus security and commitment.
- Of religious reasons0% (0)0% (0)0% (0)Vote
- Your family or their family expects you to (otherwise living together is frowned upon)0% (0)0% (0)0% (0)Vote
- You have access to property rights and/or financial benefits (e.g. married couple tax allowance)0% (0)14% (1)7% (1)Vote
- You like/love the other person and would like to spend the rest of your life with them and believe they are "the one"100% (8)86% (6)93% (14)Vote
- Other (please specify/state/comment)0% (0)0% (0)0% (0)Vote
Most Helpful Guy
I married my girlfriend of 11 years because I loved her, not for any other reason. We've been married now for 2 years and have a daughter together which is the greatest blessing in the universe. Other people do get married for other reasons as mentioned in your poll, I wonder how most of those work out, maybe that should be a featured question.0