What Is The Point Of Marriage?

In today's day and age, what exactly is the or a point in marriage?

The divorce rate is pretty high, men cheat & blame it on biology, women are emotional f-tards, people marry for the wrong reasons, so what exactly is the point of marriage?

Most Helpful Guy

• if you marry the right person,u know him/her properly,are ready to sacrifice for each other,take care of each others' needs& above all love each othr then married life will be better than heaven&days will be like dream.

I have seen couples like this,u just can't help but wonder at their chemistry...

on the other hand,u'll find tht if marriage is just for tax-benefits,inheritance,green card etc it's sure to develop cracks in such weak bonds.

unfortunately,the marriages of secend type are more common,which has very bad effects on minds of youngsters.

just being a bit more patient,more understanding &true efforts to sustain your relationship can very well show you the point of marriage.

One such couple of first type are my parents--happily married for 37 years!

What Guys Said 7

• Honestly? Marriage and its place stems from religion. If you're not religious, there's really no need for it.

• to make it 100 percent official that you are committed to each other for the rest of your life without any doubts. But that is only if you get married for the right reason. And the number 1 reason for fights in adult relationships are financially related.

• Tax breaks, great excuses (I'd love to but my wife can't...), social standing (especially amongst conservatives), supposedly a balanced pair of male/female role models for growing children, and assuaging parents' concerns (especially mothers...).

But yeah I'm not getting married.

• Besides the financial benefits I don't really see the point of marriage. I wouldn't love a woman any more or less before or after a marriage ceremony. I think it is mostly a religious thing to get married before God and all that. I don't really share those views so I don't understand it.

• because society frowns upon people having children out of wedlock. Marry someone pop out a few babys divorce them and start over that's life.

• -Tax breaks.

-Inheritance.

-Visitation rights.

-Child custody.

-Spousal benefits in pensions, health care, insurance, veteran's benefits, etc.

-Family and medical leave benefits

-Power to execute decisions for incapacitated spouse

-Property rights in case of divorce

-Right to sue for interference of spousal rights

• Your to young to understand

• I'm pretty sure with that logic about 60% of married people are too young to understand as that is only the divorce rate

• I just don't think you get it

• And the adults getting divorced get it? Clearly you seem to have some secret that the world and everybody else fails to understand, so could you explain it?

I don't have to be 50 to understand the point of marriage and if you understood, you would have answered instead of avoiding the question by using the "Your[sic] to young to understand" line

What Girls Said 7

• The point of marriage is that people believe they might beat the odds. That's kind of like asking what's the point of dating or having friends or being kind- most relationships don't last forever, most friendships don't endure a lifetime, and a lot of people are jerks to others without cause. But personally I like to believe that all the relationships I have had gave me happiness for a time (however fleeting), taught me something about myself and ultimately make me that much more likely to be capable of sustaining a relationship in marriage. As for friendships, I've had friends come and go, but I don't regret ever having them and I have a few who have been with me since our sandbox days. And jerks, well, I try to ignore them and believe in karma- meaning if I'm the best person I can be my life will reflect that and if they go through life sowing seeds of hurt, they'll reap the crop eventually.

Yes people can get married for the wrong reasons, but people can also get married for the right reasons. There aren't any guarantees in life, most of it is just a leap of faith. And once you take that leap, marriage is work. A relationship isn't going to flourish if you don't make efforts to maintain it, which is why many couples end up divorced. They think "oh we're married now, everything will work itself out"- that's just not how it works. You're going to fight, you're going to disagree, you're going to have sleepless nights, but the real point is that despite all the tough times you'd rather have them walk beside you in life than walk alone or with someone else. Many people have forgotten that and that's why marriages fail.

• Beyond the tax breaks, medical benefits, etc, I think there's a big psychological benefit that comes with being married. You have someone to help you solve problems, encourage and support you, someone to talk to every night, someone to make you feel wanted and appreciated, and all of that is very psychologically fulfilling.

• For God's sake, not this again! It's about saying vows and making promises in front of people who are there to celebrate your union. The promises are the important part, and I'm fed up with hearing 'it's just a bit of paper'... it is so much more! To religious people it's important to say their vows in a place of worship too.

• This is a simple question; a question which is not asked on a daily basis to my knowledge. The questions we need to say "not this again" are breast size questions, labia questions, penis size questions, "does he/she like me" questions, basically all of the true, meaningful thought provoking questions in the sexuality section.

• I have nothing against marriage to be honest. I'm very wishy washy, sometimes I can see myself married, other times, I can't. I just wanted insight, especially considering I am not religious, so to me, religious wise, it would serve no purpose, but I am sure there are points beyond religion

• Cool - as I said, besides religion, I think it's about making a point of saying your vows and promises to each other in a special place surrounded by special people. I just think it reaffirms everything and that if you love each other, you would want to do it!

• Everyone thinks they are the exception to the rule. The rule being the aforementioned problems.

• the comfort and security that comes along with it

• In my opinion to have a family and a partner for life...wouldnt have kids outside a marriage

• It depends where you live, in my culture divorce is frowned upon. We're careful in choosing who we get married to, so I have little fear of a separation. I want to get married. I think it's a wonderful display of shared commitment between you and someone you love.