Marriage? Good idea or Bad?

Do you think getting married now days is over-rated or that its still a good idea?

Most Helpful Guy

• Absolutely marriage is a good idea, if for the right reasons. Marrying for status, money, being pressured into it or just marrying because "it what's expected" aren't really good reasons. But if you love and care about your significant other and are willing to be committed for life it makes a lot of sense. My girlfriend and I are very loyal to each other, and even without marriage I know that neither of us would cheat, yet we still intend to get married in the future. The main thing is that marriage is a public display of your commitment to one another that holds significance in the eyes of others, which for the right reasons, is quite a good thing to have.

What Guys Said 8

• Marriage is a good thing..but due to various circumstances..and issues in the relationship..people end up cheating..fighting..until divorce..I believe that if 2 people really love and value each other should commit and have compromise and marry..Just because we see people nowadays call it quits that does not justify not getting married..each and every situation is different from the other..For as long as both parties remain the same or get better in that relationship..as to the vows being taken "in sickness and in health..for richer or poorer.."

• I still think its a good idea but it does depend on the situation. I think that people are getting married a lot later than the previous generation but we are living longer so it works out the same I guess. Some countries in Europe have passed laws stating that if you live together for x number of years then you have the same rights as a married couple which I think is nice.

Are you planning to get married or something? :)

• well not right now of course I was just getting everyones opinion. thnks

• Sometimes I think marriage is unnecessary as far as a method of showing how "committed" you are to a person however, I believe that when you find the right girl it will feel completely natural to want to take that step. I'm a bit weary about the situation, but when I find Ms. Right, I don't think I will hesitate :)

• It's all dependent on the people who get married. Any irresponsible and adulterous pipe smokers can join hands in holy matrimony, only to jump ship before they crack the final rock. That doesn't make marriage any less of a good thing.

Marriage is a great idea, however, deciding when and with whom is a hurdle where more and more people are tripping over and face-planting.

• I believe it's an outdated practice. With that said, if the love of my life wanted to get married, I would not object if it truly made her happy.

• It's good if you are with the right person...too many people with the wrong people. Which leads to divorce.

• A little of both. I like the meaning and symbolism behind it, but it's not needed and probably just a waste of money.

• I'm still getting married no matter how high the divorce rate goes

What Girls Said 5

• Bad.

• I used to be sure I was never getting married. I didn't see the point. If I'm happy, why do I need that to be officially recognized. Plus, eventually you'll be common-law married. Now, I can see why you might want to stand up in front of the people you care about and make a commitment. I think I'll probably do it someday, but it's not a huge priority.

I think people nowadays just jump into it because of "love" when it's really a legal decision. I think you definitely need love, but it's not that simple.

• It's still a good idea if you get married for the right reasons. Make sure that you love someone and are willing to make that lifetime commitment before you take that big step in life. That is the most important thing to remember!

• well my parents did and are happy, so I want to too one day

• I'm still undecided. It doesn't seem to have the same meaning it did back in grandparent days.