After an engaged couple broke up?

Do you think the guy has the right to ask for his ring and other expensive things (like a T.V) back? or do you think the girl should keep everything?

Thoughts?

Most Helpful Girl

• Rule of thumb is: give the ring back UNLESS it was given as a gift such as Christmas, Valentine's Day or a Birthday gift. Then she gets to keep it if she chooses to. As for t.v.s, if they are gifts, keep it. Anything that was a gift is kept, unless it was discussed and worked out in an agreement to be returned.

I'm not sure what either party will do with the ring. She can't wear it & he can't return it. I guess they'll both try & sell it.

Ah, love, $$$

• Love the concluding remark :)

What Guys Said 5

• Jewelry... Keep it. But don't f*** with my t.v.. That there's mine.

• Everything he bought you was a gift and you have the right to (and should) keep, just as he should keep the gifts you bought for him. WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE RING! The reason for this is simple, it was a gift bought for you with a catch. That catch being the promise of marriage and if that's not going to happen then it should be returned.

• The scenario wasn't me. It's a friend.

• The rule is simple. If she ends the engagement, she returns the ring. If he ends the engagement, she keeps the ring.

Gifts are gifts and are kept by the recipient.

• case by case basis. I don't think there are rules for these things

• If he bought them for you then keep it. The ring you should give back, that's just the right thing to do

• This isn't me. It's a friend of mine and her ex. I think she plans on keeping the ring. Last time I saw her she was still wearing it :/

What Girls Said 6

• He gets it back. He paid for it. Why do you want a ring that reminds you of your ex anyway? You'll have to get rid of it eventually or your new beau will never think you've moved on.

• It's not me, this is my friend and her ex's situation. I agree with what you said though.

• The ring, she should give back for sure. The other stuff it is an individual thing. I tried to give one of my exes some stuff back after I broke up with him and he took it as an insult. I thought I was doing the right thing. Really depends on the person.

• If he bought it than yes, if it was a shared purchase than you have to compromise !

• Well I'd think she'd give the ring back if she ended it, but not if he did. But you aren't suppose to take gifts back.

• True, you aren't but I guess things are getting petty between them.

• Oh, I see. Well, that sucks. I hope things settle down between them.

• If the item was a gift, no. But the engagement ring, yes. An engagement ring is different from a gift because it's given as part of an agreement. If a man proposes to a woman, if she accepts the ring, she is entering into an agreement that she will marry him. If the agreement is broken, he has the right to ask for the ring back.

• In my opinion, the guy has the rights to, just as if the girl has the right to too. I sorta hate hearing the whole "he/she brought this for me so I'm going to keep it even though it cost them xxxxx amount of dollars and we're not together anymore." To me it's like stop being a stuck up bitch/d*** and grow up..

• True, but in this situation it's the guy going, "Well I bought the t.v we're not together anymore and I want it back." I'm guessing that the t.v was a gift but I'm not sure. To me this attitude is just as sh*tty as what you highlighted.

• Well my opinion would give the t.v. back and be the bigger person in this situation (: