New York legalizes marriage for all!

I think this is huge victory for equality in the U.S.! What are your thoughts? Please, no hate...if you are for/against, just state your thoughts without insults or hate.

Most Helpful Guy

• This isn't a victory for equality in the United States. This is a victory for equality in the state of New York. I'm stuck in Wisconsin, where we have a governor who likes to set the state's education system back into the Stone Age, and is grouping together with the rest of his Republican minions to overturn the civil unions established in Wisconsin for gay couples. In essence, Walker is essentially trying to turn this state into a theocracy.

Now, before you Republicans give me the down arrow, let me say a few things:

1: I agree that we're spending too much damn money. I'm not a Democrat, I'm a fiscal conservative (in most facets) and a social leftist. Of course, some of our social programs have gotten out of hand (partially because of Obama) and need some serious reform.

2: I do not care one way or another about the physical aspect of gay men or women being married to each other. I literally do not care. But if someone who has been with them for 30 years can't see their loved one die because they're technically not "Family," then that's f***ed up.

3: Does this REALLY affect you? If so, please make a case that doesn't involve "It goes against my beliefs." Because apparently, six states believe differently than you.

4: The institution of marriage is a joke as it is. My dad said so himself that the only reason he and my mom are still together is, and I quote: "Convenience and a compatible sex drive."

• I love how the people who are downing this aren't even attempting to make their own case. I love a debate. But no; the passive-aggressives hide behind their own wall.

• >Four down arrows

>Zero comments from any of them

Fine then.

• And now it's at seven.

Either respond, or deal with it. Pick one.

What Guys Said 24

• Marriage isn't legalized for all, lol. What about people who want multiple partners, or who want to marry relatives? If you believe in 'equality' you have to agree that they should be allowed to marry as well. Marriage should stay the way it's been--one man and one women.

You see, marriage is like anything else--the more set the restrictions, the more meaning it has. Like Roman citizenship long ago--when the empire was strong, citizenship was hard to get and precious. When the empire was crumbling, anyone could buy citizenship, and so it had little value.

• well said!

• Yeah it isn't proof but it also is something that can't be learned either... You can't learn to be attracted to pheromones of the same sex... That is something you can't choose...

• Are you sure of that, RedThread? After all, it's well known that people can learn to associate scents with certain reactions. Like, if every time my girlfriend and I have sex she's wearing a certain perfume, I'll quickly learn to associate that scent with sex and become aroused by it. Are you sure what you're talking about is that differant?

• This is what is wrong with America having marriage be anything EXCEPT 1 MAN and 1 WOMAN...I guess we are changing GODS view of Marriage!

No hate just satating my opinion...Gay marriage is just wrong...however what people do ion the bed room is nobodys business

• I agree with you.

• Seriously? You really want to go there? You cannot marry a divorced person because that is adultery and an abomination, eating pork is forbidden, a man must marry and have relations with his dead brother’s wife, a raped, unengaged virgin must marry her rapist and they can never divorce, you can have foreign slaves lol,

• Thank you Larry and all those like you, God bless.

• YAY EQUALITY! I'm proud my state has supported gay marriage since 2004! YAY FOR EQUALITY! Being gay is NOT a choice!

• If there is no clear definition of marriage, then polygamy, incestual marriage, etc should not be illegal. Hows is changing the definition of marriage for one group of people OK, then totally neglecting another group? Looks like a slippery slope to me...imho

• exactly my opinion bro. don't forget pedophilia and bestiality. If you want equality for all, then that means equality FOR ALL, and no one group can be neglected.

• how can you compare those? lol. People can make a choice to be incestuous or be polygamists you can't choose to be attracte to the same sex. Swedish scientists have PROVEN that gay people are attracted to pheromones of the same sex... you can't LEARN that behavior.

• Nor can you learn to be attracted to pheromones of the opposite gender, as is the case in incest and polygamy? And Jacksparrow, all your arguments lacked a warrant yo.

• You should be allowed to marry who you wish.

• Many people have already politely and very rightly that this is a slippery slope and if the word 'equality' is to be used fairly then when can we expect marriages to also include multiple partners, humans and animals, close incestuous etc. trying to redefine a term to keep as many people happy as possible is impossible.

Marriage is and always has been man and woman. Homosexuals can get civil partnerships why does this post modern world try to redefine words to try and look tolerant when unfortunately it is anything but.

Take Care all.

God Bless.

• God (otherwise known as "Flying Spaghetti Monster") forbid that words change meaning over time. Come to think of it, I remember a time when "Gay" meant "Happy". Just imagine the Flintstones' theme being changed to "We'll have a happy old time!"

Anyway, I see your point, but the problem I have with your stance on the issue is this: Who is this intolerant too?

• lmaoo, for the person who said marrying their horse.. that is hysterical, whatever floats a persons boat I suppose

• @SunSeeker Actually, incest is programmed naturally into our systems to be recognized as, well, not good. The body subconsciously recognizes relative (even distant) pheromones and is pretty much turned off. Marriage is not really very religious too many, just look at arranged marriages. Arranged marriages can be for money, or peace when it comes to countries. The bible also says you can't eat shellfish. I love lobster. Ridiculous...

• To be honest I am going to say right away I don't like the idea of two gay men getting married, because I am straight and catholic and well family for my is one of the most important things in this world, and I just don't see a family of two men or women to be an actual family because you need a man and a woman as simple as that. BUT I think that gay people should be allowed to get married, because this world needs more tolerance and not so much prejudice. Legalizing gay marriage is one way to advance into that pat, that can this world a more tolerable place.

• I think that having a civil union would suffice

• Well I know great people who were raised by gays and they are straight married and living successful lives.

• Yeah well gays raising kids is a whole different issue

• Realistically, it doesn't affect me. But honestly, I'm happy for them and think it should be like that all over the country. Just like Slipslender said, it's bound to happen. Only a matter of time, then we'll have to move on to our next social issue "plaguing" society.

• I've always been supportive of gay civil unions so that they can share the same benefits their heterosexual counterparts already have. However, I believe marriage is a religious ceremony where two souls are united together through God be you Christian, Muslim, Hindu or any other religion.

• what about a religion that doesn't believe in God? Also Hetero atheists have been getting married for generations.. Also separation of church and state means marriage in this country is secular.. if you want to get married for religious purposes then you are totally free to.

• When a straight couple can get married, then divorce 55 hours later (Ms Spears) it's hardly a pure or sacred institution.

• I also abhor how casually people get married and throw their vows to the wind when life no longer fits their perfect plan. Marriage should be honored until death and only under extreme cases (abuse, etc...) should those vows be broken.

• Good for them.

• I don't give a sh*t about it, the people who are happy that it happened, or the people who are upset. Doesn't change my life.

• Bout time

• My thought is that this legislation has no immediate or secondary bearing on my life.

• Props to NY. Gay marriage not being legal is annoying.

• That's

cool.

• I don't care even one bit.

• take the planet and divide in right down the middle, put all the gay people on one side and all the strait people on the other. In 150 years the gay side will be unpopulated.

that is all.

• Actually gay people have existed since like forever, even though most of the time they don't reproduce (at least not amongst each other). The straight people would continue to produce gay people who would then have the other half of the earth completely to themselves. Yay!

• What point are you trying to make?

• that gays can't reproduce.

it was meant to be something light and easy. you made it something it wasn't.

• THat is good move in terms of liberty and civil liberties. Now we should continue to fight for freedom, and legalzing drugs prostitution and plural marriage should be next in NY

• Horrible! Marriage should simply be between a man and a woman, 2 men or 2 women together can't have a child, so they don't deserve to me married.

• so infertile heterosexual couples don't deserve to get married either?

• Well, there are other holes. :P

In all seriousness though, adoption seems like a perfectly viable option. :)

• Marriage was never, and should never, be defined by the ability to have a child. Millions of heterosexual men and women are infertile for a myriad of reasons - should they be prevented from marriage?

• I don't support gay marriage, but I don't really care if two men get married. they're the ones suckin on each others wangs, not me.

• I, for one, am very happy about this for two reasons:

1) People are being given their rights and an opportunity to be happy (obviously).

2) I get to watch all these f***tard religious zealots LOSE and get butthurt about the "gays destroying the sanctity of marriage", which is absolutely hilarious to me.

umadchristians?

• why would Christians be the only religious group that would be upset? my aunt is muslim and she is incredibly upset about this.

asswipe.

• I JUST WISH I COULD BE AS COOL AS YOU.

For a guy who's so proud to p*ss off people, you put yourself as anonymous.

The meaning of what you said wasn't bad, its the way you worded it that just sounds unintelligent. But the "umadchristians" was incredibly unnecessary.

• ^ Forgive me if I harbor some resentment toward religious groups that have been mercilessly persecuting innocent people for THOUSANDS of years. As far as I'm concerned, intolerant religions deserve every misfortune that comes their way, and you better believe I'm going to watch it all happen with a big f***ing smile on my face.

• Honestly, I don't even support straight couple marriages. Like someone else said, government shouldn't meddle in the affairs of unions between two people because that is a sacred partnership and not a business one. The only benefit of being a legally recognized union is the amount of money they'll save when it comes to getting a house or any type of insurance; so in that sense, it was a win for the wallets of homosexual couples and not necessarily their emotional nor psychological well being. Are you telling me no gay couple was happy before they were legally married? Of course not. And this isn't targeted at gay people, it's the same for straight couples. As time will show, anything done in the acquirement of more $$$ tends to lead to unhappiness anyway.

And what about all the other groups? Incestuous couples, polygamists, and so on? Couldn't you take any argument made by supporters of gay marriage and apply it to these groups as well? Ahhh and when you do, you begin to see something interesting happen. You begin to see you're basically justifying marriage for any of the said groups. So, supporters of gay marriage, I hope you're prepared to support all other types of marriage because you've basically opened the doors to decadence and the decline of values that have held Americas integrity together. Congrats!

• Best answer.

• I can see cause and effect just fine, thank you very much. I can also see fundamental differences between unrelated things. You can just go on living in fear of future things that will most likely not happen, and I'll continue down my road without worry.

• Are you sure? You may need to get your vision checked, because they are clearly related and you have no idea how to judge likelihood of events. And yes, you go on being a complacent American, meanwhile I worry about the prosperity of my nation. ;)

• I think marriages has no place being run by the government anyways. Marriage is religious nor civil. It should be civil unions for everyone including g straight couples if even that it is no business of the government on who is with who as a partner.

• I don't care.

What Girls Said 30

• One thing I know for sure and from personal experience is that AMERICANS HATE and we are good at hating. We always need to be hating something or someone, the Cubans, Mexicans, blacks, communism, Arabs, terrorists, homosexuals, Muslims, the Russians, equality, equal rights before the law, decency, understanding, tolerance...the list goes on and on. What I find amusing, is all this energy focused on hate, ignorance and intolerance could do wonderful things. No matter what, it will be legal for all in our country because of how our country functions and the basis for our government structure. ALL CITIZENS are EQUAL before the law. The US Supreme court will eventually rule on it just like integrating blacks and whites in schools.

The more educated people are generally the less they hate and spew out idiotic garbage like most of the primates here have done. There is no bigger hypocrite than the American Christian that takes it upon themselves to be judge and jury on ALL issues so long as it falls within the realm of what they want it to be. There are more important things we need to worry about than who someone chooses to marry especially when it doesn't affect any of us.

There is no excuse for this type of garbage anymore. If we are the *greatest* country in the world then I think we should start acting like it. If heterosexuals can marry then gays can marry, THAT is being equal.

• The supreme court won't step in on this issue because it is deeply seeded in religion whereas blacks vs. Whites was just discrimination with no merit

• lol.. just lol... well THIS argument isn't getting anywhere.

• What people forget is that Jesus preached love, forgiveness, understanding, tolerence and peace. Not all this hate going around. We are people period and deserve the SAME respect any other person does under our legal system. The supreme court WILL eventually rule on it as it has ruled on many other religious issues in the past.

• I am MOST pleased that gay marriage is now legal in New York. :)

• Finally! I think it's awsome. Some may say that marriage should be between a man and a woman, but ultimately, it means different things to different people. Some see it as a romantic union, whereas others see it as a way of cementing friendships. Some do it for the financial benefits, others for love, and still others just to avoid the stigma of being single (i.e. marrying a fried as 'backup' if you're both still single when you reach a certain age). Some marry someone of the same-sex, while some choose someone of the alternate sex.

Ultimately, marriage isn't one-size-fits-all-- if you want to marry someone, you have a right to, so long as no one is hurt by it. Homosexuality isn't hurting anyone, so I see no reason for gay marriagte not to be legal. :)

• Ok if someone want to marry animals and objects... Go for it! Awesome!

• Marriage is between a man and a woman not to men or 2 women its unnatural and its disgusting.. the end. I don't give a f*** about all this bullsh*t you're saying.. I mean really its wrong which is why there are only 9 or 10 states out of 50 that recognize it.. its wrong and disgusting and I don't think it will ever be somethingg socially acceptable.. maybe 100 years from now but I won't care, I will be dead by then hopefully.

• Haha, I think we're gonna just have to agree to disagree here. :P Different people will always define these things in different ways, and right now neither of us can offer conclusive evidence that we're right. And it seems like we both have very different ideas of what marriage is (religious vs. secular), which is totally fine. :)

Ultimately, I can't agree with your logic, and you can't agree with mine. :P But I hope we can both agree to respect each others' opinions. :)

• I love it! I think it's been lcoming I'm from ssachusetsley surpsed when California voted against prop 8. I believe that it is a great moment for both gays and the straight people that support them! I think the only thing that is left is that every state shoul support gay marriage as well as gay adoption. If not for equal rights for the millions of children in foster care that need loving parents.

• I think it's great that people are finally starting to treat each other equally.

• Cool Beans! I'm not against gay marriage, or gay/lesbian people...there PEOPLE but I do feel like people should do whatever they want! after all its THEIR life and it's nobody else's business who they love or bang...but I will admit that it is a little odd to me (just my personal opinion, not trying to offend anyone)...I guess because most of us are use to the whole "guy meets girl" and not the "girl meets girl" or "guy meets guy". I take marriage seriously and I do feel that it should be between a man & woman because that's the way God made it but then again he gave us all freedom to do what we want & you only live once...so s**t live your life, its yours! =] besides a lot of people say that being "gay or lesbian" is bad, but there are a lot of good people who fall into that catogory and there are a lot of straight people who do some F'd up s**t so what then...one outweighs the other? =/

• This is really random, but I just wanted to say how much I respect your answer! It's really cool that you can accept people's rights to live their own lives according to their own values, even if you don't agree with them. More people should think like you. :)

• thanks doll! =P I just feel that you know like I said you only live once, hell do what you want! If its "right" or "wrong" you'll one day have to chat it up with the creator of all so that's YOUR biz if you do this or you do that. God is the only one who can have the final say so & judge you. Nobodys perfect anyway! =]

• I am very happy :)

• I think this is great. I just hope it lasts and doesn't turn into another Prop 8 debacle.

• Some idiot will probably try it, but I don't think the political climate of New York will allow this to result in the same way as California.

• huzzah!

• I think it's great for those people! I don't have a strong opinion because it's nothing of my concern really..

• I think this will make people a lot happier and feel more equal than they had in the past. And it's really great for couples because now it'll be documented that they're together and they can share benefits from work that wasn't provided before. I'm really happy for all the gay couples out there. It's about time it happened for them :)

• That's awesome! I didn't even know that happened... Hurray for progress :)

• it was bound to happen :)

• I may be a strong Catholic, but I'm all for it! :)

I'm glad that more and more people are starting to realize that no matter what sexual orientation one has, they should not be denied the right and title to marriage.

I hope that the whole world will soon accept and respect the LGBT community :)

• Really happy that there's finally some justice in at least somewhere in the world...

• yay:) everyone should have the right to marry who ever they wish

• Haha! F***yeah! And f*** all of you power-hungry and bigoted a**holes!

Next for legalizing gay marriage=California baby! We are on a roll :D

• hell yeah they say after New York it is going to spread fairly quickly now.. of course it will find resistance in the south but that is to be expected.

• I think it defiles marriage and is wrong. But I mean I can't see really conservative states and southern states jumping on board with this whole thing but whatever.

• well marriage in the US is considered to be secular and NOT religious... if you want to get married for religion then that's fine. Swedish scientists have proven that gay men and women are attracted to pheromones of the SAME sex not the opposite gender.. you can look it up if you want. Since it is a natural phenomena they deserve equal respect and choice in secular marriage.

• Yes, all evidence points to the fact that it is coincidence, because again, just as many (if not more) are straight. Scientifically speaking, only correlation (not generalization) can prove a cause-effect relationship, but there isn't any such correlation in this case. :)

• I don't believe its just coincidence and you still don't explain people who are in opposite gender relationships and then become gay...

• I don't mind as long as they do not adopt children. I just don't think it would be safe for the child either its to men or two women they can love each other all they want. ( as long as they don't push it in my face) I'm not for gay marriage but I wouldn't try to stop it.

• well I know a child who was raised by his 2 gay uncles and he is very successful and straight. Gays love children and want them to be happy just like straight people do.

• Educate your self.

• I know it doesn't make them gay and that they have the freedom to choose whatever they would like. I also know tha just as straight people they can love and care for children just as much. I'm not saying they will pedophiles but just as straight couples can the children need to be watched and made sure they are safe. Sorry it is so long I just don't want people to be hurt by what I say. Before Iearned and read about gays I would have said it's gross and sick. I'm a lot kinder than I used to be.

• well they're real liberal up there so...

• Yeah thank God. Scientists have proven that gay men are attracted to pheromones of the same sex which cannot be learned... Thank God marriage in the US is secular and not religious.

• One step closer to a discrimination free America :)

• Without having read the other responses: I'm for it. Marriage is a legal formality so people who want to support each other in ways other than emotionally or physically can do so. If people want to attach themselves to someone else in a manner that takes a lot of time, energy, and hundreds of dollars to dissolve, let them do it.

• I don't support gay marriage, and I don't see how this is going to better society.

• I'm against gay marriage. So no I'm not gonna support the new law in NY

• The more two people being in love is recognized as what it is rather than a fetish, the better. Otherwise, I really don't care.

Incest is a choice and has serious consequences in the case of a child, so there's my stance. Otherwise, I say the marriage between competent, consenting, of-age adults should be legal.

• honestly I could care less, I'm not gay and I don't live in ny

• Marriage should be between a man and a woman, beyond my Christian beliefs, I just don't think that physically people were wired for sex with the same gender, especially females, and personally I think other than marriage, those who are gay have all the same rights as other people, they can go into any place they wish, get served by anyone, have the same medical care as any other person(dependent on other factors of course, but never their sexuality). And with today's society, marriage isn't needed to be together. I don't agree with the new law, though one has to wonder why the government is getting involved with nearly every aspect of a person's life(though that's another topic)

• Sorry, but even if you don't count marriage, gays do not have all the same rights as other people. Because gays aren't allowed marriage, they are denied countless rights that others have. What's more, they can be fired on the grounds of their sexuality and are deprived from other rights outside of marriage. link

• Actually you can't be fired based on your sexuality, it's made sure of, at least the state I'm from makes sure of that, they put on on most of the job applications( seeing as I haven't applied to ALL jobs, I won't say all). They have their civil liberties, just like any other person, which is basically what I was getting at.

• Im pretty sure everyone had enough equality in the US anyway...

But I think gay people are going to regret gay marriage for the same reason people regret normal marriage...

-You have to commit, there is no excuse not to because marriage is legal

-Sex is not hot anymore once your married

-You'll be to busy worrying about your spouse instead of your job and making a living

• No offense to Gays and Lesbians but before their was so many of them and the government was pushed for legal rights, being interested in your own sex was diagnosed as a mental illness and was generally triggered by emotional or sexual abuse. I like and respect gays but if that is what it is then we shouldn't be supporting and encouraging it should we? I'm a bit confused as to what changed Doctors minds about this.

• And according to The Gay Report by homosexuals Allen and Young, a large amount of 'homosexuals' have frequent hetereo sex, were also abused when younger, and change their lifestyle, strong evidence that 'they're born that way.' And according to the APA, there is no proof that it's caused by genetics. Could be trauma or drugs for all we know.

• LMAO swedish scientists have proven that gay men are attracted to male pheromones you can't "learn" that behavior... you can look it up if you want.

• There are enough scientific studies that have shown that what sex you are attracted to has absolutely nothing to do with your past history including abuse. Do some research.

• i think that's pretty awesome