Does the prospect of marriage lasting 40+ years bother anyone else?

The idea of being stuck with the same person every single day for 40 or more years really brings me down. Sure, when you're in love you want this, but honestly, that's not what marriage really seems like when you look at married people. It seems hellish. Does anyone else feel that way?

Most Helpful Guy

• The prospect of it bothers the hell out of me. but like you said, when you love the person, those years go quick. Plus I couldn't imagine it until I was going in a grocery store one time and this old couple was coming out, they had to be at least 80, they were both bent over but the man had a solid grip on his womans hand and was leading her to cross the road to the car and carrying the groceries. I'm not sentimental, nor emotional, but I shocked the hell out of myself when my head said "thats beautiful" :) lol

What Guys Said 4

• Life's hellish around siblings, parents, good friends at times... it's part of life. Anger and arguments are part of life and we have hellish comfrontations with the people we know best, it's because we're completely comfortable around them, know them like the backs of our hands

My grandma and grandad were married for 40+ years, were always at each others throats. My grandad's been dead 8 years now and I reckon she misses him more everyday. A long marriage is the complete union of 2 people... I bet my grandma misses the arguments :)

• Anyone can be together when times are good, but tough situations are the true test of a marriage and the bond between the individuals involved. When the people involved love one another and are there to support each other, it makes them that much more resilient to face whatever life may throw at them.

• Yep, marriage is an outdated institution.

• I want for nothing more in my life than to have someone every single day for 40+ years.. Someone to wake up next to, someone to raise children with. Someone who will love me as I love them, if not more. A best friend, a companion, a life partner in love.. that's what I want. For me it's not being "stuck" with the person, it's not a chore.. My idea of marriage is more like heaven then hell. Unfortunately now-a-days it's tougher to find people with the same outlook as me. This due to the fact that everyone always wants something or someone better. I know she's out there for me, and she will find me when it's time.

• Well, yeah ... the fairy tale sounds great. I'm talking about REAL marriage.

• You'll be single forever QA, don't you worry.. Nice attitude.

• aww I think that is sweet..I agree with anonymous!

What Girls Said 6

• I go through spurts where I feel the same way. But that's partly because I'm 21 and have no interest in being married right now. You have to be ready for it. When the time comes, the idea of spending 40+ years with just anyone sounds awful of course. With the love of my life though? Totally worth it.

• I love the idea..and to me..it isn't being stuck. When I get married..he will be my companion, my soulmate, and someone to share my world with. I can't wait until I find the right one to spend the rest of my life with! You should ease up on the negativity. You feel this way now..but, one day, you will find someone who will make you understand the true beauty of love and marriage. Relationships fail and so do marriages, but you just have to be sure that you and he are strong enough to not fail. <3 Best wishes <3

• Of course not. That's true love. Love comes with fights and arguments. It's not all the notebook

• I'm married, I married so that I would have a best friend always there by my side and not feel lonely. Plus I feel that if I am not married, those "taken" girls might think that I am out to get their guys or something. So now that I'm married, I can be like "hey I am just his friend because I have a guy already" you know? At least it is for me. Maybe because I'm Asian. Most Asian girls are some what like that, they think other single girls are out to take their man. Anyways, my husband and I got married at 25 and we are hoping we will be together until we are around 100 so that is at least another 70 more years we're hoping! hahaha

• How long have you been married? Were you both in love?

• we have been married 1 and 1/2 years now. We knew each other from grade school, and yeah I think we are pretty much in love so it's good

• I don't see the point of marriage anymore. It used to be a necessity because only men could work and household chores took much longer to do. Now, I'm not sure its relevant. Most people aren't even in love with each other and marry because its traditional.

• It actually makes me happy.