Why do guys not have engagement rings?

I always assumed that they did until I met an engaged couple. Se had a ring and he didn't. Why do you think it is that way?

Most Helpful Guy

• While there are some historical reasons for it that still have some influence, the biggest reason TODAY is because most guys couldn't care less about a ring to wear, and would much rather spend the money on something that will give them a lot more satisfaction. Whereas, to women, a ring is a HUGE, IMPORTANT status symbol that defines her relationship with her man. Guys don't need or want a symbol; the woman herself is the symbol for a guy. But girls will practically DIE to have that symbol.

What Guys Said 3

• Because our culture expects men to pay for women to have nice things, but we don't ever expect women to pay for men in anything other than sexual favors.

• Because guys don't care if they have a nice shiny expensive ring.

• Answering just offside your question... I'm curious as to why a female would _not_ want her man marked. I know I would allow myself to be marked with a ring if I was engaged. Many years ago I even marked myself for less, and just recently offered to be marked like that. I think it shows a sign of seriousness and real commitment when guys do that.

• I know, that's what I was thinking.

• Were you in a relationship that had progressed to that level? (And if so...) Did you ask your fiance to wear a ring? I know when I wore one, it was a nice ring (metalurgically), but nothing expensive. Probably around $150 in today's money.

• No I haven't been in that relationship, but like even a gold band or something to wear as an engagment ring... I just thought it would make sense.

What Girls Said 2

• should you buy him a diamond ring? lol

but some guys do have it

• It's a way of a guy saying "back off, she's mine!" Lots of men don't even wear their wedding rings, lol! A guy doesn't want to be tied down because he has to be, he wants to choose on a case by case basis.