Why do men and women get fat after marriage and becoming parents?

Specifically the women, I think they let themselves go more than men, but that's not the question. Why do people get fat after marriage/parenthood?

As you can see from the first dudes answer, those are the main reasons. But I want to know WHY don't these people care enough about their bodies too stay thin. Personal health shouldn't be sacrificed for family, etc.

Most Helpful Guy

• -They stop exercising/become sedentary

-Their basal metabolic rate drops as they get older

-They have stressful jobs/lives that raises their cortisol

-They eat like ...well, they eat like Americans

-They stopped giving a sh*t because they suckered someone to sign a legal contract to be with them for life

What Girls Said 10

• Because food is the only enjoyment they have to look forward to. If everying else in your life sucked and everyday you worked, came home to screaming kids and bills, what type of foods do you go for? Comfort foods that are high in fat and sugar and make you feel better, albeit temporarily.

I guess at the end of the day it comes down to what will make you feel better asap.

• Because they are happy, comfortable and eat at least 3 meals a day. Food is a big social focal point in a family's world, bbq's, picnics, family dinners, ice cream socials, ball games, pizza parties, etc. Work, meetings, etc., no time to exercise. It's harder to lose wt. as you get older.

• I think most parents would sacrifice anything for their family. You will find this out when & if you have a family. And yes, you do need to be healthy for your family. But you do not to be a body builder or put your body 1st, such as having a 6 pack & keeping your body at a 20 something fighting weight. As you mature, you tend to put things more into perspective and prioritize things better. Health, yes, studly body, no.

• Well once one gets married , the pressure of having a partner greatly reduces. They become too comfortable with themselves. Also when women get pregnant , they usually can't go back to their pre pregnancy weight and size after giving birth.

• well, you have to think about the fact that when women have kids, they often gain weight during their pregnancy then after the child is born its hard to lose the weight.

• Cos they have other things to worry about : such as their children and money to pay for food and the house.

• Already found the person you want to spend your life with and hopefully they love you inside and out ,no need to camp out at the gym anymore.

• I imagine it'd be a little difficult to balance taking care of a baby, working, your personal life, AND staying thin all at once. and no, women don't let themseleves go more than men do. it's just a lot easier for women to gain weight than a man.

• baby weight and as you get older, your metabolism goes away

• they don't live the same lifestyle anymore. they have families to take care of and they find themselves with less time to spend on themselves

What Guys Said 4

• I think your referring this question mostly to the American parents. In the rest of the world many parents don't get fat or obese. I'm a parent and not fat and neither is the Mrs.

Stay as much away from eating fatty foods and eating out then you'll be okay and won't end up on 'The Biggest Loser"

• marriage has nothing to do with it, its our age that slows our metabolism and makes it so that its harder to stay skinny and in shape.

• Oh horsesh*t. I can take a walk through NYC and see plenty of old people who are fit.

• Have you seen the p90x guy he is around 50 and jacked don't tell me it's all about our metabolisms slowing down, it's more along the lines of we don't know when to put down the cheeseburgers.

• not everyone's metabolisms are the same...

• It takes a lot of time to stay in shape as you get older, when you're married and have kids, your responsibilities are to them.

• Dean, your question has been answered. Come tell me how easy it is to stay thin when you're 40 with a wife and kids and a job which eats up 11+ hours of your day.

• Now that, I agree with.

• But really, it's the kids that get you...that doesn't require a piece of paper.

• because they are not shallow unlike some people lol