How long should you date before getting engaged?

Just curious... how long did you date before getting engaged or what do you think is a good time frame?

Most Helpful Guy

• between 2-3 years, go earlier than that and you risk a lot, like discovering things about a person that you didn't know that doesn't mesh with you. I think 2-3 years is perfect because by that time you have already farted in front of the other person, woke up with bad breath next to each other,

know each others' idiosyncrasies, and if you still love each other than its a match made in heaven. I will digress to mention that

Arranged marriages have a lower divorce rate compared to people who have been dating before hand. Maybe because "getting sick of each other" starts after marriage as opposed to before so the success rate of marriage is prolonged, that, or the culture is just different, for example cultures that have arranged marriages view divorce as unholy and the stigma causes people to stick together and work things out.

Arranged marriages aside, Personally I believe the bell curve is such that if you wait to long its just as bad as not giving it enough time so something like this, E, engagment, 1-2y </= E <=3-5y, where y denotes the number of years dating before Engagement/(or marriage. Hence, anything greater than 1-2 years but less than 3-5 years is an ideal time. Personally speaking.

• f*** what happened

1-2y <= E <=3-5y, so any time greater 1-2 years but less than 3-5 years is ideal time, personally speaking

What Guys Said 3

• I don't see anything wrong with getting engaged 3months after meeting if it's what you both want. There's nothing to say it can't work and you shouldn't just go by what other people say and do. Ultimately it you should get engaged when you BOTH feel ready. There is no time frame for when things should and shouldn't be done.

I've been with my girlfriend for just over 7 months now and things have moved pretty fast, we aren't engaged but we both feel it's something we want to do, just not right now.

I always imaged at least one year of being together but it's quite feasible that you can meet someone and know pretty soon that they are the person you want to spend your life with. If you both feel that way and want to get married then why wait?

Getting married doesn't make or break a relationship. If it's meant to be then it's meant to be and getting married too early won't affect that.

• I would say one year at the very least.

• One-two years. My parents did it for a year before they got engaged.

What Girls Said 10

• Personally, at least 5 years or so. Getting engaged means that you're deciding you're going to marry someone, which usually means you want to spend the rest of your life with that person. Deciding you're going to spend your life with someone (which, depending on how old you are and how long you both live, could be 50 or more years) based on only 1 or 2 years of having been together seems kind of fairytale-land to me.

And if you're truly committed to each other, giving/receiving an engagement ring, or even whether or not you get married, isn't going to change that, so I don't see a need to rush into it.

• It really depends..but, I would like to think 6months to a year at the least.

Though, I would not be ready to get married then..I would want to wait awhile. Like at least 2 years of being together...2 good years...

• It depends on the relationship, but I think a few years is a good general timeframe. Somewhere around 1-3 years. But I've known couples who waited 7-10 years, and some who waiting 6 months or less. It all depends on the relationship.

• Date until both parties are ready to take it to the next step. I don't think there should be a timre frame.

• Whenever you feel its right, personally I would wait at least a year

• At least 3 years (I'm not married or engaged but that's how long I'll wait).

• 3 years. :)

• after 25 ..wait for 2 years.

before 25 .. wait as long as you want.

• hmmmm... I'm going to say 1-1.5 years. but it depends on the two people involved.

• so full of wisdom, if you don't know after a year then what the hell are you doing together

• i would say at least 1 year and less than 3 years