Do most men become bored with their marriages?

I was talking to my brother (keep in mind he is extremely cynical) and he says that boredom in a marriage is inevitable. He is not married so he's probably just being negative but with all the divorces and cheating going on in marriages it doesn't seem like that invalid of a statement. I sure hope that's not the case.

Most Helpful Guy

• Not necessarily. I'm not married, so I am certainly not an expert in the field. The biggest problem with marriage now is that people do it too young and they jump into it too quickly. I read this article about divorces a while ago (I'll find it and post it if you want) and it said that the stat of 50% of all marriages fail is false. Marriages are actually at it's lowest levels since the 70s. It also said that marriages are more likely to succeed if the participants get married in their late 20s. Then you all the stuff that should go into every marriage like compromise, trying to continue the stuff that you did to attract your partner in the first place, and remaining faithful.

• I completely agree with you. I have friends who are getting married now and they are younger than me (I am 22). And although I want to see their marriages work, I know that it is going to be harder for them. Mainly because I don't think some realize what you really need to do before you get married. A lot of them are rushing into things or had to because they got pregnant. So they tell me all the time they have missed out on so much. Marriage is good, but enjoy young adulthood first!

What Guys Said 3

• consider the source, your cynical brother... he ain't the best source of wisdom on this topic... me, being married... I have to say, if you aren't growing your marriage, it will stagnate and fail... if you're not continually romancing your partner, you will fail... it's just the way it is...

• Actually he is right. Boredom will appear in time no matter how bad people would like to think otherwise.

And he doesn't sounds cynical, he sounds realistic.

Think about it: being stuck with the same person. Even though this person is simply amazing, in time you'll want something that is different.

• most people do at some point, yes.

What Girls Said 3

• I think you need to think about who told you this. You cynical unmarried brother :P I think he is truly being negative. I know we hear so much about people who are divorcing, who have cheated and what not. Yes it's tragic, and it does happen. But less and less people are actually getting married. And those that are, a lot are just jumping into it. Just watch an episode of Dr. Phil. A lot of the married people who go on there have no common sense :P They jumped into a marriage when they only knew each other for a few months and keep secrets from each other, then wonder why their marriage is in the toilet. Not saying they won't work out. But it makes sense. There are many people who are in very successful domestic partnerships without being married. It's basically the same thing, you share living expenses, have kids possible, live in the same place and basically are everything a married couple is except legally married.

Some people place too high of an importance on the actual wedding day and their romanticized view of marriage that they forget not everyday is amazing. You will have bad days, boring days, happy days, romantic days, sad days and easy days. You have all sorts of obstacles and achievements. The most important part of this is that you are doing it with the person you love. You are with them because you two love each other and have made a commitment. Your brother is right in the sense that it does become boring sometimes. But it may only be boring for a short time. You have to work at a marriage, that is the problem in society, we do not work on things. We just expect them to work out without putting in any effort. Of course if you ignore your husband and nag at him everyday and stop making him feel special and putting in the effort, the marriage can become in trouble. That is part of life, but if you work at it, you can survive that period. Also, if you build a good foundation with that person, you have the tools to make it work even when its very hard.

Marriages are not easy, no one is saying that they are, but so many people just expect it to be amazing everyday. It's not amazing everyday, even regular life is not amazing everyday. But that doesn't mean you give up because it's boring or because it's hard. You plug through because you do love that person deep down inside.

• I don't believe boredom is inevitable. My aunt and uncle are in their early 50s, have been married for 25 years and are still HOT for each other. I think it's definitely possible to stay married for like and not get tired of the person but it's also possible to grow apart/get bored like your brother thinks

• No. I think when they're with the right girl they won't get bored at all