Why are people putting off marriage lately ?

I think about how young my parents and grandparents were when they got married, and I look at people now and I'm just like what happened ? I would hate to be an old mom ! Think about it, if you get married in your 30s, and have a kid when you're in your 40s.. you'll be 50 by the time they're 10. That's just so weird to me. and what's up with girls getting pregnant so young ? sometimes I wish I was living in the 50s bahaha. the simpler times.

Most Helpful Girl

• i'm not ready. I'm 23, I cannot imagine being somebody's wife right now. being married and staying with the same man forever - right NOW? omg no. I want to at least be 30. I would rather be older and have children because I'm already established then do it early and not get to live my life because I was chasing behind some kids

• are you going to take time off of your career when you have kids?

• Yes, I want to be a stay at home mom, or at least only work when they're at school.

What Guys Said 3

• That's the way I was raised. My dad was 40 when I was born. 48 when my sister was born.

It never seemed strange to me. If anything, getting married too young before you have had a chance to live your life, seems strange and unusual to me.

• It may be weird to you, but to many who were raised that way (older parents) it's the norm. I'm pretty much in the same situation as you. My dad was 27 and my mom was 33 when they had me. My grandparents are in their 60s. I still have a great grandparent alive. I guess we just have children younger than normal. I'm probably going to end up breaking that tradition though. I don;t see myself having kids in the next 10 years (I'm 19).

• they don't think ahead, that's really the only reason, women over thirty are far less likely to get married anyways. And people are also having like half as many kids as we used to so in 40 years or so the current population will be half of what it is today and we will be mostly immigrants, and that goes for all western nations. so its not like people are waiting for marriage, people are not getting married or having kids anymore

• why did I get down voted everything I said was completely accurate

What Girls Said 4

• Mostly this is due to women having more of a focus on careers instead of just being homemakers. If you want to be a homemaker or put your career on hold to become a mother first, then good for you. But many women don't want to be mothers at all in today's society and want to be independent in their own right rather than depending on a man to provide for them.

• Well if you look at the marriage and divorce statistics, your marriage is a lot more likely to be successful the longer you wait. Too many young people rush into marriage and end up realized later that it wasn't really the right choice.

• youre also a lot less likely to marry the longer you wait, the problem isn't being young its being stupid, and most people are stupid at any age

• i disagree with that one, and for women waiting till your thirty is a bad idea not only are there far more women that are single above thirty then men( it different in your 20s there are far more men single in their 20s) but the guy she gets is more likely to be undereducated and has a history of drug and alcohol abuse

• Yes that's true, but if you get married at 30 then that means you've been dating the person since you were in your 20's. I've always thought the best marrying years were 25-32ish. Old enough to have some maturity and direction in your life, but young enough to have found someone decent in your life and start a family.

• Nowadays people want to focus on careers first, the world has changed since the 50s

Don't know about girls getting pregnant so young though... I couldn't IMAGINE getting pregnant this young lol I'm still hyper and insane at this age

• Its not safe for me to get pregnant anyway because of a mental health condition I have but even if I could now is not the time lol

• right ?! well not the mental health stuff, but I walk around school and see all these pregnant girls and I'm just like WHAT ARE YOU DOING. they're bringing poor innocent children into this world without a stable home to live in. I'm 17 and I don't even think about having a kid.

• I think its different in some towns and cities

• They're being smart and establishing careers first.