Every time I see a friend get engaged?

every time I go on Facebook I see a new friend is engaged. all of my friends are younger than me and have not been in a relationship for a long as me, and for some reason every time I see they are engaged it brings tears to my eyes. for example, right now I am teary eyed. UGH why do I get like this!? I may have asked this before and sorry if I have but I am kind of looking for support lol. but does anyone else get like this? girls mostly? I've been with my boyfriend for 4 years and I don't see us getting engaged anytime soon =( and it KILLS me! we constantly fight about it and it makes me feel like total garbage that he won't propose to me. it makes me feel like something must be wrong with me. I've tried losing weight, nope didn't make him want to propose more. tried changing my jealous ways, nope nothing. tried everything...and NOTHING. ANYWAYS. every time I see a friend get engaged I get all emotional and cry lol, do any of you girls do this? I'm at the age where I REALLY wanna get engaged and I'm ready...am I the only one?

Most Helpful Girl

• Honestly, no I don't get emotional about it. But that's because I look at it from a pessimistic point of view - most of those relationships won't work out in the long run. One of my friends has been engaged 4 times since we graduated high school 5 years ago but has yet to get married to any of those guys. 3 other friends of mine have been married AND divorced since graduation. I'm happy in my relationship regardless of not having an engagement ring and that's all that matters to me.

What Guys Said 3

• The real question is does he even want to get married? If you fight about it a lot, then it tells me "no". Or he's just very afraid of making that commitment. The truth of the matter is, though, that there is no problem with you. I know that sounds cliche, but that's the truth. I remember another question you posted a while ago in which you asked what it means when a guy tells his girlfriend that she's not the most beautiful girl in the world (I can only assume that was you talking about him?). Is getting engaged all you two fight about? It seems to me that there are other issues at stake here.

• yeah its all we fight about lol

• he says yes but he keeps saying he isn't ready and he will be ready when he's ready. he won't say when he'll be ready...it makes me feel like something is wrong with me...

• This isn't something you can expect him to put a timetable on, but even so, the problem is not with you.

• Yep, one of many reasons why I don't log on Facebook anymore. It's all way too depressing.

I just keep telling myself I don't believe in marriage. And then I start feeling better.

• bridesmaids anyone? lol

What Girls Said 2

• I kind of get like that, but I've learned to not really let it upset me as much. Sure it sucks when you see a friend getting what you want so badly, but you never know what could happen. Some of my friends are married or engaged and they are younger than me too. My one friend is only 19 and already engaged, and they are planning their wedding. Some people just get those things sooner. But then it may not always be the best thing.

Divorces are common in todays age, and a lot of people have jumped into relationships. Some of my friends who were in long term relationships and were living together are now broke up and single again. Plus a lot of my friends who are married haven't been able to go out to get an education or even experience life.

I would talk to your boyfriend though, find out what the real reason is. 4 years is a long time to be with someone without progressing. He should realize that you are ready and give you an answer or at least a time frame for when he will be ready.

Some people do jump into things a bit fast, and maybe your boyfriend just wants to make sure everything is going to be alright. He might want to have a stable job and finances before marriage. But if he won't talk about it, and won't give you a reason, then I would make a decision about what to do. Have a timeline in your head about how long you are willing to wait. You don't want to wait 10 years and then he still won't propose.

• me too.