Is it tacky to get married on/around a holiday?

I've semi-dreamed of getting married on Valentine's day just because its a super romantic day and blah blah blah even though everyday should be v-day. :) but there are people who actually get married ON holidays, like Christmas, new years, thanksgiving, etc. Its almost bittersweet I think because you'd be asking people to come to your event and re-arrange their holiday schedules just to make it to your event. And it seems almost tacky. So, what do you think?

Most Helpful Guy

• I think it's a horrible thing to do lol XD

It's almost like claiming the holiday to be yours. :O

But then again...who would really know except you and the kids. It would seem almost a burden to celebrate two things at once though, especially cus usually on anniversaries you don't want family around :P so any holiday except valentine is a bad idea.

I would say, have your super-double-romantic-valentine's-day-wedding if you want that =) After all, what's a better way of showing your love on a day like Valentine's day then saying Yes. :3

What Guys Said 2

• Yes. Getting married around a holiday or other significant day is kind of cheesy for me. It takes away from the uniqueness of your special day, not to mention having to compete with the other celebrations that the day will have. Also significant days (e.g 11 November 2011) will be a day where there will be so many weddings and yours will never be a standout. Rather have your wedding during a time where you know your guests will be focused on your big day and nothing else.

• It was considered unacceptable in my family to get married on a holiday weekend. Even labour day/victoria day. "People have other plans".

Valentines day might be okay.

What Girls Said 2

• Yeah, I think it's kind of selfish. Most people will probably have different plans or traditions for how they want to spend their holidays, and you're basically asking them to give that up for you. The only way it might be acceptable is if you're planning on having a small wedding and only inviting the people you would normally spend that holiday with (i.e. If you're having it on Thanksgiving, just invite the people you would normally spend Thanksgiving with, and ask them before deciding on the date if they would mind if you had your wedding on that day). The other thing is that you'd be asking all the people involved in planning and putting on your wedding to give up their holiday (i.e. the priest or whoever you're going to have marry you, your wedding planner if you have one, the people who make and serve the food at your reception, etc.)---unless you do all of these things yourself. And I don't think you'd be able to get married in a church on Christmas, since they'd be too busy with Christmas services.

• I think it can be problematic to get married on a holiday because people might have so many other things they are doing and have to either give it up to attend your wedding or rush around to squeeze everything in. To be rushed may cause them to not even get time to enjoy the holiday and I think everyone needs a break every now and then. Valentines might be okay, because it's not something everyone celebrates, and you don't have to be with your family that day so it might be okay. But something like Christmas or Thanksgiving, I wouldn't have it then.

It can definitely also feel tacky because you are incorporating the holiday into you special day. The decorations are going to be holiday inspired, but it really depends on how it is done.