Why do you want to get married?

Question is above... I want to see if there is a answer beyond the " just because" which equates to "i was told so by my parents."

I know about tax benefits but is there anything else?

Most Helpful Girl

• Personally, I don't really see any good reason to get married.

Usually when people talk about getting married, they talk about commitment. But marriage doesn't necessarily equal commitment. People get married, and then often they cheat on each other and/or get divorced. There are also people who don't get married and stay together for the rest of their life.

Having a ceremony or signing a marriage license doesn't guarantee commitment. And if you truly want to be committed to a person, you're going to be committed to that person no matter if you're married or not.

Personally, the only pressures I feel to get married are external/societal pressures. I've been with my partner for over 5 years and we live together. Family, friends, and coworkers ask me all the time, "When are you two going to get married?" I also sense that people take people who are married more seriously than people who aren't, despite how committed, serious, or how long an unmarried couple have been together. But I don't see trying to please your loved ones or society as a good reason to get married.

What Girls Said 4

• I would like to get married so I can have that companionship with someone. Sure you can have that without marriage, but I think getting married symbolizes a lot. It's harder to end a marriage than it is to just walk away from someone you are living with. So to me it's a guy giving up that freedom to be with me. In exchange we both are bonded to each other for life. Plus it provides routine and security for any kids me and my SO would have.

• I want to get married, because I want to have a close companion that I can talk to , love, laugh with, and spend important moments of our life together. Oh and of course start a family.

• Moral beliefts for me, companionship, fear of growing alone, having that someone when there is no one else...

• I'm not sure I do. If I have children, it will be a vow to always work to make a life with their other parent.

What Guys Said 4

• not everything in the world can be explained by being effecient or practical. Why do we watch football? listen to music? enjoy movies? But marriage, in the sense of 2 people sharing their lives and raising children, IS found in the animal kingdom with species that mate for life. Infact monogamy was likely one reason that early modern humans emerged from among the other homininds (SORRY IF YOU'RE A CREATIONIST, but this is well accepted science and if you don't want to believe it, don't deabgte here, I was just making a point about evolutionary theory and the benefits of monogamy). But on a human level, there's lots of reasons people have.

• Because I'm a hopeless romantic and I fell for the bait of the timeless ritual.

So here I am. Married. Oops.

• I'm not sure I want to

• I got married at 23. I wanted things to just keep going like they were.

There have been good and bad things about it, but my advice to a young man would be to NOT rush into marriage, in fact to defer it till you want to have kids.

At that point, staying unmarried isn't going to provide you with much safety anyway.