When you are married or living with your significant other, do you have a certain side of the bed?

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the traditional thing is for the woman to sleep on the left and the man to sleep on the right. Left meaning the left side when you're lying on your back with your head at the pillow. My parents sleep that way and I feel like that's what I would automatically choose. Do you have a preference? Or do you not care or think about it?

I'm not suggesting that there is any right way or wrong way, or that it's better or worse to go with tradition. Just purely curious!

• I would prefer the woman on the left and the man on the right
  • I would prefer the man on the left and the woman on the right
  • I have no preference
  • See results

Most Helpful Girl

• as I think back I've always slept on the right side of the bed (we've been together 20 years and lived in 4 houses in that time period) but when we go to a hotel I always sleep closest to the a/c unit lol

I honestly don't think there is a traditional side for the man and woman to sleep on :\ I've never heard of that tradition before... I think that's just how your parents decided to sleep. I will say that once you're a mom it's always easier when you sleep on the side closest to the door lol

• Well, they are the ones who mentioned that tradition to me. It's not necessarily the only tradition out there, but I wouldn't assume that it was a tradition just because my parents sleep that way. So I don't know where the tradition came from or how prevalent it is, but I wouldn't assume that it doesn't exist just because you haven't heard of it.

What Guys Said 5

• I only sleep 20 minutes a day, and if I'm bed with a woman I'm going to be on top of her the whole time. As soon as we're done I'm gone, fininto, outta there! I ain't got time to cuddle, I need to return some videotapes.

• I've always slept on the Left side right from the first time I slept with a girl/woman/wife and it always seemed natural to them too.

• I don't remember how or why we chose sides but it just stuck.

• i like to sleep farthest from the wall...

• I sleep starfish and she sleeps on the floor.

What Girls Said 6

• My partner and I do have "sides", but it depends on the room, and the location of the bed within the room. Currently I sleep on the left side, but when we've lived in other places, there were times when my side was the right side.

Usually it's:

- If the bed is up against the wall, I sleep against the wall.

- If the bed is in the centre of the room, I sleep on the side closest to the door.

• I usually like to sleep on the side that's against the wall, unless he would prefer it, I'd take the other side then. I'm not too picky.

I'd never heard that there was a traditional way of picking sides.

• Apparently lots of people haven't... Nothing wrong with that! There might be multiple traditions, too. Or maybe it's just old wives tales...

• Well I don't live with my boyfriend, but I spend the night with him about 3-4 times a week. I always sleep on the right side, but if we're at a hotel or something the side we sleep on doesn't matter.

• I currently sleep on the right side..but, it is only what he wants.

Usually, they tell me they prefer a side.

My ex slept on the right, and I slept on the left...

I have no preference though.

• I don't care what side I sleep on, but my boyfriend says it's tradition that the man always sleeps closer to the door and that's how we do it.

I'm not sure if it's coincidence but my parents that way too.

It would make sense for women to sleep on the left too tho, because traditionally we are supposed to walk left to your partners

• My dad also sleeps closer to the door... It worked out that that was the right side too.

• No preference, I just want to be on the "inside" if that makes any sense