Should I give her the ring?

Ok, a while back my mom told me I could give my girlfriend, her first engagement ring. The ring my Dad bought my mom when they were 18 before he got her a better ring.

I have been wanting to pop the question, anyway so when my mom told me this it made me happy. Because it reminded me of something that you would see in a movie or something. Anyway, I finally seen it today because I got the weekend off, so I came home for the weekend.

Anyway, the ring doesn't really have diamonds in it. It has 5 REALLY small diamonds. I mean I didn't even see them at first. I quit saving money for a ring thinking I would just use my mom's. Like a family heirloom or something. So I have everything planned for the 27th this month, I have told me parents that's when I am going to pop the question and everything.

My question is should I go ahead with my plans and ask her anyway and tell her that I will get her a better one later?

Or should I just wait and get her another one and hurt my parents feelings by not giving her their ring?

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it would be sweet to give her your moms ring because its kind of like a family thing but some girls want their own ring. depends on who she is what you think she will like or will be better suited for her. =)

What Girls Said 5

• Wow, that's very cute. I think you should give her your mom's ring. Of course, tell her the story behind it. Yes, rings with big diamonds are pretty, but I think your girlfriend will really appreciate the sentimentality behind the ring. It also shows her that your parents give their regards, so much, that they want her to have the ring that represented their own love when they were younger. Good luck :)

• Give her the ring, and don't sweat it. The simple gesture that you'd be willing (and your mother) to give her something with such sentimental value in your family will be far more valuable to her than a shiny new rock. Seriously.

• Also, good luck. It must be nerve wracking and you're starting to worry wart over things. I don't think she'll be ashamed. Wish you the best.

• It depends on what kind of girl she is, to be honest. Personally, I would prefer the family ring because it means more and comes not just from you but from your family as well. However, some girls are more materialistic and would prefer a ring that's just specifically for them. Don't sweat over it though, because you know your girl better than anyone else so you should know what she would prefer, if she's more sentimental/family-oriented, or more materialistic.

• Give her the family ring. An engagement ring isn't as important as the wedding ring, anyway. This is far more special and lovely.

• I would give her your mom's, it has more meaning behind it since it's a family heirloom.

• I'm just worried that she might be ashamed to show other people because it's not some huge diamond.

• If I were her I would think a ring like that would have more meaning than a ring with a big diamond.

What Guys Said 0