Why do girls look at marriage as being the only thing they need in life

I find the whole idea of marriage to be a sham. It's just a piece of paper and maybe a little lower tax wise but other than that, it's pointless. Then again, I'm a guy!

Most Helpful Girl

• I feel pretty much the same way you do, I don't even think about marriage. I don't have to be married or want to get married, to want or be in a committed 'legit' long term relationship and do it successfully. Some contracts and a ceremony and legalities don't make the relationship itself any different or more valid in my eyes. I feel that I'm capable of real commitment without needing to put a title on it, a title that isn't even so much for me, but more a title for others to judge my relationship by, lol.

What Girls Said 12

• Marriage is very low on my list of "needs". In fact, I see it as unnecessary.

I've been with my partner for over 5 years---and while we receive quite a bit of external pressure to get married, we have no internal pressure (neither of us feels that it's necessary). We love each other and are committed to each other. Getting married isn't going to change that. It doesn't make our relationship more legitimate (though, some people seem to think that), nor does it guarantee that we're going to be together "forever!"

Not to mention the countless other things in life that can bring a person happiness and satisfaction outside of romantic relationships.

• Marriage isn't a need. It depends on your values and how you were raised. I think marriage is viewed as the ultimate form of commitment to a person and that may be why many women see it as a goal for their life. To get married, have children and build a life together. You are right marriage is just a name and a legal binding contract between two people. You can be married and not have love, but it is a commitment between two people.

I would prefer to have love and if the guy I loved asked me to marry him. I would marry him if I wanted to make that commitment to him.

Bottom line if a women is looking for marriage she is looking for the ultimate commitment from you.

• Not all girls. I definitely don't see marriage as the only thing I need in life, I don't even see it as something I NEED. I would like to get married someday and have kids but its not my big goal in life. I see marriage as just a binding of two people on paper. If you're in love and happy then you really don't need a piece of paper/ceremony to say so in my opinion.

• I definitely agree. But some of those benefits are worth it if a couple is planning on staying together. For example, if something happens medically with my long time boyfriend or husband, I'd like to have a say in what happens with him. Unless a couple is married, the partner would usually be ignored. I'm sure that can all be worked out in paperwork though.

Also, a lot of women want to have babies. Babies usually get their fathers last name, and if the couple isn't married, then the mother and baby wouldn't have the same last name, unless they give the baby two last names. This is the only reason I want to be married before I have children.

I think I'd probably have a ceremony and change my last name, but forgo signing a marriage license.

• I am a girl and I am ABSOLUTELY NOT looking for a guy to get married! I find marriage a very pathetic and idiotic thing to do... Also pointless as you say! There are girls out there (I hope) who believe the same thing... Just take a closer and more careful look!

• I don't think being a guy has anything to do with it, and not all girls believe marriage is so important. Some may but maybe it's because of how society conditions them?

Lots of girls are super independent and don't even want to get married. I don't see myself getting married.

• If your assumption was correct (that girls in general think marriage is all they need in life), I wouldn't be a girl. Last time I checked though, I still was a girl. So I guess it's rather your assumtion that is not quite correct.

But well, I agree with you about marriages. I don't see the point of it, other than some legal benefits.

• It also gives an obligation kind of, to try to make things work and last. Divorce is only a question when one of the part find it impossible to keep being in the relationship. I think if you're not married, even if uve been togheter for a long time. He wouldn't have too hard time sayin "meh fukk it I'm leaving" but would actually TRY to make things work when they got dark.

• Most girls think that will keep the man there just like having a baby. Lots of girls think they NEED a man.

All I want is a damn good lasting relationship. Is that to much to ask?

'

• actually marriage isn't something I want or need. when I do find the love of my life of course I would want it but I wouldn't push it. my guy is different. he wants marriage and kids and me on the other hand if it happens it happens if not I'm OK with it. everyone is different. you are 18-24 so you have A LOT of growing up to do. come back in 10+ years and see if your feelings change

• There are SO many men in the world who see marriage this way, as being the only thing that will make them a man, and will marry any woman just to be a man. I also know a lot of women who are the opposite, and afraid of commitment.

• everybody wants to get married.

What Guys Said 3

• Most semi-intelligent, self-respecting men get the feeling that marriage is a bad deal for them. But many of them are pressured by the women in their lives to take the plunge. Some are even given threats and ultimatums that she will leave if he does not marry her soon. After reading this, it will be clear why a lot of women push hard for marriage why men are not so sure about it.

There is no risk for a woman to marry. If it doesn't work out, she still gets the house, at least half the assets, the kids, and at least half of hubby's future disposable income for the next 20 years. If a man marries and it doesn't work out, he loses it all. So while the feminists keep pounding the same rhetoric of "empowered" females choosing not to marry, what makes considerably more sense is that - given the huge risk of losing it all - men are simply choosing not to enter a one-sided contract that makes no sense. You can find "marriage strike" all over the blogosphere.

Yes, there are 53% of marriage aged males who are only vaguely interested in marriage, but not until at least 32.5, but another 30% (plus another 12% who will not marry American women at all) who are now HARD CORE MARRIAGE AVOIDERS given the raping they get in divorce court. Who can blame them?

Divorce is only a happy day for women, because they get everything. And for this reason, men should not marry, and under no circumstances should they give a woman children.

The truth is that more than 67% of marriages will end in divorce. 92% of the time it will be initiated by the woman for no other reason than she is “unfulfilled” – oh, and because she gets the kids, the house, at least ½ the assets and most of his future after tax income for the next 18 years. The man will get raked over in family court. He will lose the house. He will see his kids 2 out of 14 days (if the ex doesn't level unsubstantiated "abuse" claims.) He will be forced to hand over 40-50% of his take-home pay. If he loses his job due to illness or downsizing, the State will toss him in jail. While jailed the arrearage will grow and the state will charge interest. The State will revoke his driver's and professional licenses, make him virtually unemployable.

If you were to take up sky-diving, and the instructor informed you that 67% of the parachutes were defective, would you take the plunge?

The men’s Marriage Strike is alive and well, thank you.

Check out www.nomarriage.com.

• lol well on that note what's the point of dating right? I mean it seems a useless title to me

• Brainwash.