How many of you have married your high school/college sweetheart?

I am 18 and I am crazy in love with my boyfriend.. Been together almost a year and I know that is a short time in retrospect but I can't imagine a future without him. How many of you married your high school/college sweethearts? And how long until you knew you wanted to be with them always?

Most Helpful Girl

• I know someone who married their 7th grade sweetheart and still happily married :) (they dated on/off throughout middle school, high school, and college; they're in their 40s/50 & they have two kids now in college)

I know another couple who married when they were in their mid-20s and they dated throughout high school and college. they're now in their early 30s with two adorable kids

What Guys Said 2

• im not married...but these high skool sweet heart and all is just good ...it makes you feel good but for a short time...let the feeling pass out because wen people are in skool the haven't explored the world they start exploring meet new frnds ultimately they forget u...so forget then and move on

• Newt Gingrich married his high school math teacher..I think back at high school and went to my reunion..and all the former hot girls were pregnant and or looked pregnant and not doing too well...haha and now I'm a catch there..yeesh.

Lesson...to guys especially..don't go the whole HS sweetheart way..may have worked decades ago..but now college and beyond is where its at.

What Girls Said 3

• Two of my uncles married their high school sweethearts at a young age. One of them then proceeded to cheat on her and they divorced. The other is still happily married.

It's important to see marriage as forever. Don't think to yourself "well we can just get a divorce if it doesn't work out." My mom's best advice to me (I'm not married) is to not even think of divorce as an option. Marriage is a lifelong commitment and, if you get engaged to this boy, make sure he knows it too.

My college roommate is getting married this winter to her high school sweetheart. We're all very excited for her even though she's young. Congratulations on finding a boy you love, that's half the battle! Haha :)

• My mom raised me not to believe in divorce as well. She fell out of love with her husband, but they're trying to reignite the spark. She just has no time for him or a relationship anymore because she works and tries to support me and my siblings and he can't find a job. But I'm going to marry my high school sweetheart in a couple of months and I'm excited. I can't wait to start a future with him.

• I have an uncle and aunt who have been together since they were 15 but...it never was easy there was cheating but when they were younger but still are together for about 16+ years I think.

It's one thing to love someone in high school and another in the real world when you don't see each other for at least 35 hours a week at school. The real world has obstacles and real problems that test the relationship. I'm not saying that you guys don't know the real deal problems but just be very sure and careful. Good luck with your boyfriend. (: If its true it last. I wish both of you the best. (:

• Nope. Dated from age 16 to 21. Couldn't imagine a future without him and wanted to be with him always. But we broke up. Ahh, young love.

• Sounds sh*t :/ whyd you guys end it?

• Between the ages of 16-25 people often go through massive changes that redefine who they are as people. This is why relationships that form during high school seldom carry past it. The guy you love at 18 could be someone you absolutely hate at 25. =)

• Agreed.