Legalizing polygamy? I think this is funny.

So I just heard a news report that in Utah there is a push to legalize polygamy. I don't know why anyone would be stupid enough to marry ONE woman let alone like FOUR or FIVE!? Thoughts?

Most Helpful Girl

• My only real issue with polygamy is that it tends to involve child brides or very young teenage brides being married either by force or through a lot of pressure. The actual idea that you can be married to more than one person doesn't bother me much- provided everyone knows about everyone else eg. first wife signs off acknowledging she knows about second marriage. And, like DiamondKutt said, it should be legal for anyone to have multiple spouses, not just men. Acutally, if they legalized it, it might be better regulated...

Personally though- couldn't do it. I hate even liking 2 guys at the same time I can't imagine being married to 2. And I definitely wouldn't be OK with my husband or boyfriend having other spouses/girlfriends. If you want me, it's got to be exclusive on both sides. I'm a monogamist through and through I guess, but provided polygamy was regulated it wouldn't bug me.

What Girls Said 7

• Unless the women get to have multiple husbands as well, I disagree with this. Even then, I still disagree because what's the point of marriage if you want to be with multiple people?

• I agree. We're too high maintenance. Personally, I don't share. If he wants me to be his, then he's gotta be all mine. :)

I guess they just have a high population of Mormons who grow up expecting to either have multiple wives or have to share their man. Sucks for them.

• yeah sounds like people have to at least know common sense before they enter politics or even mention the word legalize over there...

• As far as I know, the mormons in Utah have been pushing to legalize polygamy forever! They still practice it. Some of the women (or should I say girls) get away and run down here to Arizona for protection. Some of the stories are horrible - the things they've endured are unspeakable. I'm sure some of them have it good with other women to share the chores.

I seriously doubt with all the negative publicity regarding polygamy, that it will ever be legalized.

• I mean lots of women = lots of sex (sometimes) and that is the only benefit I see with polygamy. I couldn't handle having one wife, never mind four. Plus women all get on the same cycle when they live together? I'd rather dig my own grave!

• As someone who lives in Utah, I'm kind of wondering where you got the idea that there's a push to legalize polygamy. I haven't heard anything about that at all, which makes me question your sources.

• i think it should be legal, but I can see where it would get complicated in terms of property rights and such.

also I mean beyond the sexist model of mormons and sh*t. I mean for people in polyamorous relationships of all kinds - women with multiple husbands, gay relationships,etc. I think there should be ethical standards and such in place.

• My dad has five wives and 50 kids were healthy happy and normal don't see the issue

• Word to your mothers.

• We go to school were nit sheltered I just don't see an issue with it their adults it's their choice no one is forcing them

What Guys Said 0