Does the idea of marriage still exist?

People are getting married later and later nowadays, soon we're not even going to be getting married at all. Do you agree or disagree with this?

• The idea of marriage still exists.
  • The idea of marriage does NOT still exist.

Most Helpful Girl

• It depends on what your definition of "marriage" is. If you think of marriage as a promise to someone you love and want to be with forever, then I don't think it will ever go out of style. If you think of it as a 100% necessary institution where couples move into a house in the suburbs with a white picket fence and immediately produce many children which the wife will raise while the father works in an office, then it may very well be dying out.

People are still getting married, there are simply more options as to when and how. I can't see people ever completely ceasing to get married. There are too many benefits.

What Guys Said 9

• My parents have been married for 37 years. I like the idea of marriage and finding a long-term partner suited for the job. I would never marry a girl inside of the United States, however. Two-thirds of marriages here are initiated by women, plus men are routinely reamed in divorce and child custody court cases.

Simply put, getting married as a man in the United States is like playing Russian Roulette with multiple chambers already loaded. If I was to move to a culture that I thought respected marriage more than the U.S. does, and I found the right girl that wanted to get married and start a family, then yes, I would get married.

• You'd have to move to Asia, Africa or South America. All Western-minded countries discriminate men in these cases.

• Correction: My original post should have said two thirds of divorces, not marriages.

Sixstring: Marriage in general, plus how women view men in a marriage is on the decline in many developed countries. I agree that if marriage your ultimate goal, you can even take a western woman or find a native one that shares your values and marry overseas. Finding the right girl is everything, then living in an environment that actually encourages stable families is equally crucial.

• It's the same here in England, and I'd imagine it's the same in the rest of the anglosphere. The judicial system sure is gynocentric.

• I agree. Many couples prefer to live with each other and not get married. Maybe it's the rising cost of weddings that puts them off or they are pretty much happy with their current living arrangements. I think it also has something to do with less and less people following a religion. Many people are non religious these days and the idea of marriage isn't very strong compared to someone who has strong religious beliefs.

• No, feminism has destroyed it.

• Men are pigs and women don't need em..right? Lol. We can get pregnant on our own and produce more women from our loins without men's help. OH WAIT...

• It exists but I can see why it's dying out. Personally I don't blame the guys who don't want to get married because the divorce rate is pretty much 50/50 if not higher in the Country. Men generally don't benefit from Marriages anymore like they use to and have a lot more to lose than an actual woman does. A lot of the reasons were found to be financial. If a man divorices his wife he loses half of everything he's worked for due to Vaginamony(Alimony) & even worse he'll lose custody to the right of taking care of own kids in court(There always in favor of the woman even if she's not fit to be the better provider). That you can consider another 20-30% of his earning going into the woman's pocket until his kids are 18. What do women lose? ...

• They lose a husband

• women file 70% of all divorces for financial reason (him not making enough)

• A guy Loses his Wife but there shouldn't be a price on that.

• its dying out and I have no problem with it, I used to really want to get married but its just hard to find a girl I would actually like to call my wife

• especially in the modern world where women still expect men to fit into their gender role while not fitting theirs at all, the modern relationship has become the friends with benefits and the moden family is the single mom its just the way it is in the western world, its no wonder that the largest demographic of men to go overseas to get more traditional wives is men of resources and education.

• and being a man of resources and education is a large part of typical male gender role

• I'm not sure the slope is quite that slippery.

• It makes sense. The guys have mentioned some of the reasons. As the last guy said, 2/3 of divorces are initiated by women. Most women probably jump to the "man=bad" idea and say it's because he was abusive or that he was cheating. That is not so. Apparently women fall out of love faster than men and say that "We've grown apart" and "I no longer need him." Also, they know the court systems truly are biased in such cases.

Now, I'm assuming that you are pro marriage. If that assumption is wrong, correct me. But, I would like to know what real incentive a guy has to get married at this point in time?

• To start a family with the right girl. If both the girl and guy are willing to stay married and start a family because they love each other, what's the harm in that?

• Womens lawyers often find reasons for the court to disregard the prenup entirely.

• Pre-nups are regularly thrown out in divorce court. The judges can choose to holding them binding or not, often times not. Pre-nups are a far cry from being bullet-proof.

• I was married, and though I really like the idea of marriage I got a cold shower on the reality of divorce as a man. I'll go as far as claiming as the rate of divorce is so high because women know the court will by default give them the kids and the guy's money. That's why 2/3 of divorces are initiated by women, they know they have a winning hand from the start. Take that away and many will think twice about filing for divorce and work harder on their marriage instead.

• It still exists but it's more and more frivolous. It happens when people treat it like dating. Divorce used to mean something and few people got re-married, but now it's just a really long date over.

What Girls Said 4

• it still exists, but most people just get married to get married if that makes any sense. they just rush the relationship and once they are married, they realize they aren't a good match and get divorced. the only people who I see that really know what marriage means are old couples.

• Disagree. Sure, not everyone is getting married. Women have more opportunities than they used to, so they're going to school, settling into a career, and then looking. As well, because of the high divorce rate, people are more... cautious when it comes to committing themselves to another for life (as they should be). If you notice, most divorces happen between people who get married early or before they're both settled career wise.

• Yes it does still exist. And I definitely want to get married.

• There's no way to disagree with the fact people are getting married at a later age because that's a fact. There are stats to support that statement

The idea of marriage still exists. People get married all the time, but now people are getting more educated, more career oriented.

• and more promiscuous that is a big problem, lots of single moms in the dating world, and those guys don't just one girl pregnant they get a few pregnant so there is a definite shortage on marriage quality women in the western

• why is a woman with a child is not "marriage quality"?