Is it not common to take on your husband's name anymore?

I get it's not mandatory, but I thought it's still what most people do.

However I know that I'm engaged and said I'm gonna take on his name, everyone has been asking me "Are you sure?" "You can keep your own name you know" "You should really think about that some more"...

I know I don't have to, but I want to. Maybe it's old fashioned but it feel kinda right to me. Besides I'm from Italy and have a last name that no one in this country can pronounce or spell right, thus I can't wait to have his name

Most Helpful Girl

• I think most women still take their husbands name. I don't see what the big deal is, I think most guys appreciate it if you take their name so why not? I guess my last name doesn't mean that much to me. we could turn it into a middle name for one of our sons or something?

What Guys Said 2

• Congratulations and best of luck! Italian last names are cool! It's traditional to take your husband's name and something you both share and will share with your children some day. But its not mandatory. Its a decision for you primarily. I didn't care either way, until my fiancee told me she wanted my name -- I really thought that was nice of her, and that was several years ago --. Other option is to hyphenate and have both names.

• Depends on if you like following tradition I like the idea.

What Girls Said 2

• I took my husband's last name. But only do it if it is right for you-without other people convincing you either way.

• It's definitely still common. I think this is what most people do. I know for me, when/if I get married in the future, I will want to keep my own name.

• why, if you don't mind asking?

• I just can't imagine ever having a different name. I like my last name (also Italian, commonly mispronounced and misspelled) and it would just be too weird for me to change it.