How would gay marriages hurt you?

This isn't a do or do you not support gay marriages question. I want to focus on those who do not support it. What are your reasons? Please give strong focus to the actual posted question, too. Which expanded would be, for those who oppose gay marriage, if it were to be legalized where you live, how would that actually hurt or even effect your life.

Most Helpful Guy

• they don't hurt me in any way, people can love each other as much as they like, we don't live in the dark agaes anymore people, the church has no power and no influence. Please update your software and leave homosexuals alone.

What Girls Said 14

• Marriage is a religious institution between only a man and a woman and I personally feel like it's a slap in the face to this institution.

Gays only want marriage so they can get fiscal benefits and such. If marriage wasn't attached to this type of benefits...wouldn't be so much of an issue.

Bottom line. Marriage by definition is holy matrimony between a man and woman. Nothing else. Anything else is an obstruction and sacrilege.

• Agreed.

I don't have a problem with them being together, or even having a commitment further than boyfriends, or girlfriends, but I don't think it should be labelled marriage. As sweet_18 says, it's a holy thing, between a man and a woman. If we start changing it, it obviously doesn't mean anything and that's wrong too.

• Threads like these always go in one direction. There are more supporters for the issue than against the issue that post and some random lurker who never makes a post. Even though the OP wants to hear one side he has to get a dose of both. So for the one person who offers a response to the question has to get jumped by two other people + a lurker. Pretty sad.

• I'm indifferent about the issue.

But it's disgusting that people can't have an opinion without being ostracized for it.

• I'm not against gay marriage at all. I think its a good thing. Gays should be able to get married etc. Since straight people seem to be falling off the marriage bandwagon these days.

• It's a shame to read these answers here and realize how many young people still seem to live in medieval times...

• I have a question to EVERYONE - what if your child was gay?

• Thought I'd share this: link

• It does not effect my life , I mean why would do it ?

• the fact that the morals of my country would be falling apart might bother me alittle

• there are NO morals in this country in the first place. everything in corrupt

• You may get evil religious people, but that doesn't mean that's what their religion teaches. Likewise, you can get someone who solely believes that the law is supreme, but will still do bad things.

• acually "detestable" in the Bible typically means immoral LEV18:22

• Lawlessness. Also, what's next? Who is influencing and setting the standards? That's my concern. There was a guy who passed gay marriage and a few months later tried to lower the punishment for beastiality. The continuation of this would effect life greatly. Things would become more corrupted and most people will see it as the norm.

• it goes against biology. it will harm the environment. men and women were created to make babies. and gay marriage goes against that. its ruining tradition and society and just norms, it will change our world forever. it can affect our kids and make them think its okay to date same sex and I don't know its a downward spiral. I feel like anything I say will offend someone gay but its the truth and I'm being honest, just because people don't say it on the streets doesn't mean they don't think it. life is about procreation and being gay goes against that.

and I am so against gay couples adapting kids, its so wrong. like you're making that decision for your kid whos gonna grow up to go to school with other kids who have normal mommys and daddys and theyre gonna be stuck with two dads or two moms, its so weird and will just f*** up their mind and they won't develop their own sexuality like other normal teens do.

sorry but I guess I'm against gay rights and don't support it. biology comes first.

• Thats a valid point!

• What if your kid was gay? Would you raise him/her telling them that they are wrong. Would you force them to only date their opposite gender? What if they grew up wanting to adopt? How would you feel then? Would you disown them? Would you tell them that they are ruining tradition, society and what is considered the "norm"?

• It doesn't and that's why I support it

• To all of the religious people out there who say that the bible says this or the bible says that..what do YOU say? In your heart you really believe that gay people don't deserve to be happy? God created man, right? He also created disease, deformities, and diabilities, correct? Because those aren't man-made things! I believe that people are born gay. I don't think it really is their choice. Something in their genes or DNA (I am not a scientist here, so don't lecture me on this part) made them this way. And that is OK. There is nothing wrong with being gay. I don't believe in religion because I find that many christians hypocrites. They stand on the sidewalks with their pro-abortion and anti gay signs, judging others! I feel like those who accept christ into their life and hearts should be more forgiving and accepting than the non-believers, no matter their choices. They really aren't as forgiving as they'd like to think, right?

Me, I am a nice person who doesn't judge a person based on their sexuality, religion, or their choices in life, unless those choices are to do wrong and cause harm or pain to others.

I have a gay roommate and he is one of the sweetest guys I have ever met. Yet religious people are quick to tell him he is going to hell when WHO made him this way? God.

I don't see how a gay marriage would effect anyones life; it doesn't effect mine. They are just fighting for equal rights just like women did. They deserve to be treated equal as well.

"If people would stop wasting their energy on things they hate, and put that energy towards something they loved, this world would be a better place"

• As much as the media likes to disagree, Christians don't hate gay people. God loves everyone equally.

• It's not about being hypocrites, again and again Christians will be hypocrites simply because of human nature. It's about the teachings and the struggle to follow them. The bible doesn't say hate gay people, it says that it is a sin. I personally think it's gross but that doesn't really matter. It's evil, hate the sin, love the sinner, that's the way it's supposed to be. You're diverging much on the problem of pain, and I could recommend a few books to you if you want.

• Marriage is a joining of man and woman to begin the foundations for a family. It is also a religious sacrament. A gay couple can have a civil partnership.

Most religions teach that gay marriage is wrong, because the only purpose for marriage is to join a man and woman for the creation of children.

With gay marriages being legalised, people are being pressured to accept it. The Church of England will have to accept it, even though Christianity teaches that marriage is a covenant between a man and woman. Some MPs have even been saying that priests who refuse to marry a gay couple should not be able to continue being priests.

That would be like a large church telling the government that if MPs refuse to be religious, they will no longer be able to continue being politicians.

Also, I think people are feeling bitter about the church being vandalised and services being disrupted by gay protestors. Christians are already being discriminated against in England. People have had to go to the EU court for their religious rights and it's only going to get worse.

• People reading this 100-200 years from now must chuckle at how many people still believed in religions. Yes at 2012 most people are still naive enough to believe in an invisible man creating the universe with magic. Not all of us though, I'd love to be able to live in a time where people can look past this irrational thinking. Not to mention I bet you people from the future will laugh at the idea of racism. Yes we have to deal with that garbage as well.

• I'm agnosticism, but I really respect that you can still stick to your guns while having 5+ people jump on top of you. This thread CLEARLY states it's looking for people who are opposed to the idea and yet people still feel the need to fight with you. It's disgusting that people are so aggressive over your beliefs and what makes you feel uncomfortable.

Again, much respect

• ditto vermi... upvote

• does this have anything to do with the Amendment One vote in North Carolina?

• Partly. I've wanted to ask this for a while, so it gave me a good opportunity.

• I upvoted you to offset the morons that downvoted you. I used to live in NC. Are your friends and family against gay marriage? I am just curious.

• @cavmanier oh alright haha. I don't watch CNN much so I didn't realize that.

@7gnat ha ha thanks. Some friends/family are for it and some are against it. Most of my friends are for gay marriage though.

What Guys Said 18

• I don't think it will hurt you per se, but I just believe the the definition of marriage entails a man and a women, not two people of the same gender.

Gay people can do what they want and be as gay as they please (for lack of a better phrase), but marriage just isn't what its called when two people of the same gender want to bind their lives. Call it something else, give it different privileges, because its not the intention of marriage.

I also think its way to open for abuse. It allows to many "friends" who aren't gay to go down the street, fill out the marriage papers, so they can get all the benefits of marriage. Better insurance, tax write offs, etc.

• "It allows to many "friends" who aren't gay to go down the street, fill out the marriage papers, so they can get all the benefits of marriage." This type of fraudulent marriage could also be done by a man and woman.

• Fully agree but it would be much less likely. Either way, that's a minor argument. I'm all for gay people having some way to get legally bound, but it just wouldn't be called marriage. The definition of marriage in my opinion, is between a man and a women. If its 2 men, its a civil union.

• I personally believe that the rights of homosexual couples should not in any way differ from the rights of heterosexual couples. What I truthfully wish would happen, is that in a legal standpoint the name of marriage is completely removed and simply titled as a civil union or partnership or other similar terms, but no legal rights would be changed. The title of "marriage" could simply be reserved for private institutions.

• Hurt my life? No, not at all. I know better, it wouldn't hurt me so much as the children. The strongest family consists of a mother, a father, and children. Without one of the components, it's not as strong or the kids don't develop as well. Growing up without a father or a mother influences your life directly and your development. Between the mother and father there is life giving love, and example for the children to follow. Sure things like single parent families and divorced families can work, but the problems that the child faces are widespread and varying. Perfection is not going to happen and it's a dream for every marriage but it's still what we should strive for. Gay marriage won't be able to show the same life-giving love. In every area of life, cognitive, emotional, social, developmental at every phase of the life cycle social evidence shows that there are measurable effects when children lack either a mother or a father. Most of them only want it for the financial benefits anyways. Marriage is truly a religious thing and doesn't take that place in this country anyways, so really the title of marriage doesn't matter. Children matter.

• I've always felt the mother/ father argument to be quite thin. Those are more specifically roles, and there is no reason why that dynamic (a mother/ father raising environment) can't be achieved in a male and male or a female and female couple.

• Without a mother, or without a father and rather both of one sex, you are missing a half of the whole story. Men and women portray themselves differently and think differently just based on sex. Women are less visually based than men are and are more akin to showing emotions.

• I wouldn't hurt me specifically, but it would ignore my morals and my beliefs.

I don't see gay marriage between men and men to or woman or woman to be OK with it. I see the institution of marriage as one of the most important pilars of society, more exactly being the cradle of society where society starts (I even more against gays adopting) and where children are borned and raised to be good citizens. As well it is an insituation that supports individuals thanks to having a mother and a father who's contribution are similar but at the same time different; this is why you need a MAN and a WOMAN.

Gay marriage to me its a mockery if the real isntitution. I am not exactly homofobic ( I do have a gay friend) and whatever they do on their own its their business, but don't come and try to force onto us their views and accomodate our views when in fact they forget they are in fact a minority, the mayority shouldn't accomodate the minority that is not how it works. Canada or The Us are in fact a democracy not a tyranny.

• I'm gonna rant regardless. I'm straight, a liberal, Asian guy raised by a traditional but semi-liberal family, live in a gay friendly city (Vancouver!), Buddhist and could care less!

I don't see how it'll affect your life unless you're a priest. Unless you're stuck in the stone age, believe in burning witches and a hardcore Christian...yea...you may get offended or feel disgusted when you see 2 guys or girls holding hands and kissing.

Buddhism taught me to be compassionate for all people. I could care less if you're gay, straight, or transgendered. You're still human with a heart, emotions, and a personality so if you're a good person, I'll RESPECT you for who you are. Gay and lesbians deserve love and marriage too.

Besides...I have a few gay friends and they give me awesome fashion advice but still whoop my ass in video games or outdrink me.

Oh and chances are...they'll attract more girls than you in one week than you in a month.

• My answer to kereru below is my comment to you too. In addition, I don't want my kids to think that being openly homosexual is by any means allowed by any religion. Plus, I do fear the wrath of God over whole nations when disapproved action start happening as something normal.

• Funny how you cannot even form proper sentences but you are clearly stupid enough to believe in any wrath of god and hate gay people. Southern educated by chance? Bet you went to church too. Always seems to me that ignorant or stupid people hate so easily.

• I read more hate in your comment, 7gnat, than in hers.

• I don't care if people want to marry their own gender...it doesn't affect me and it's blatant discrimination.

Some people who bash gay marriages are probably gay themselves (see Utah pastor, politician in Minnesota airport, etc.) but don't want people thinking they're gay.

What is the point of marriage if the divorce rate is 50%?

• I would just like to say that religious people and religion is losing power in this fight everyday and that the gay community is getting stronger and is getting a firmer grasp on our right to marry.

I do not believe that marriage is truly "holy" because if it was truly holy it wouldn't be able to be undone.

Now I'm not going to sugar-coat this for the people who are against it. Gay marriage would not affect you or your children in the least! Did YOUR marriage affect anyone but yourself? Nope, so somebody's gay marriage wouldn't affect anyone but them.

The only way that a couple's gay marriage would get on T.V. and be a big thing is if the Westboro Baptist Church protested it.

So, people who are against it, it would not harm you at all to let two men or women be happily married. I know this probably didn't shift anyone's opinion, but I thought I should explain a couple things.

• I don't get how some people will actively try and stop gay people from marrying. Live and let live! Homosexualism has always been around and always will be, how about we accept that fact and stop denying US citizens basic freedoms.

The US is definitely NOT about freedom, it's quite the opposite. Paranoia, bigotry and hypocrisy is all it is.

• I have my personal moral issues and qualms about it, so I won't support it.

That said, I won't actively oppose it either. I have gay friends and we have good relations.

I will vote how I want to vote. Let the people decide how they want their state run. If the majority wants gay marriage, then so be it. I'll deal. Same goes the other way. If the majority doesn't want gay marriage, then people should respect the wishes of the majority. That's how a democracy works.

• I don't think it would hurt me, but I just simply don't accept it in any way, shape, or form.

• While I do support gay marriage, I have problems with allowing gay/lesbian couples to adopt children.

Just ask yourself, would YOU have wanted to be raised in such a family?

• sure why not? You may be confused as to why you have two moms or dads but If they're loving and caring, teach me how to respect others, be the best I can be, and be a good person. I don't see the problem with it...

• So you are seriously saying that you wouldn't be sorry at all if you had to redo your childhood but now with gay parents?

• I'm saying it would not have bothered me at all to be raised by a gay couple.

• I cannot understand why certain churches would perform the service...

• How would you be affected if animal cruelty was suddenly legalized? I realize that the topics of animal cruelty and gay marriage are apples and oranges in many ways, but my point is that sometime there are reasons for a person to oppose a law other than its direct effect on himself/herself.

All seriousness aside, it opens up the possibility of me being a bridesmaid someday.

• They push their lack of morals and perversion on other people.

• but that's what youur doing by not letting them be who they are like gay people are something to be ashamed of..

• "Dude, my whole point here is they decide some parts are subjective while others aren't."

who is they? Sure, some people do but some people dont. Furthermore the "they" you are talking about does in fact INTERPRET what they PERCEIVE to be subjective or not.

Basically, the "they" you are talking about have there own opinion. Hopefully its backed by something.

• oh yeah I forgot to add

"And really, that doesn't even matter, because apart from what a 2000 years old book says, people have NO arguments as to why they're against gay marriage."

Of course if you take a countries weaponry it cannot win a war.

Secondly, some people just don't think its moral (thats an argument, not saying I agree with it but its an argument)

• I kind of oppose gay marriages. I more so oppose them calling it "marriage". Fact is marriage is derived from religion. I think they should just call it something else and I am cool with it. Essentially come up with there own term. Possibly civil union...partnership... shoot I don't know but just not marriage.

I think heterosexual marriage and homosexual marriage should be differentiable. Not transposed over each other.

Again come up with something else to call it beside "marriage" and I am good :)

• Would you be opposed to them having the same legal benefits and rights as heterosexual married couples?

• No I would not be opposed to that... That's totally fine with me

• 0|0
  • First, I'd see a rampant increase in demonstrators wanting bestiality legalized. Next, I'd see gay mobs kicking down church doors (like has already happened in some places) and demanding that congregations either accept them or witness their churches be vandalized.

Anyone peacefully demonstrating in favor of a return to traditional marriage can expect to be jumped by the gay mafia and assaulted with violence.

Gays, already a protected minority in some place, would gain extra special government sanctuary. Even if they're the assailants, their victims would be the ones jailed for "inciting violence." That's not a fear of the irrational; it's already happening in Finland. And in American schools, a lesbian can beat up a straight classmate and the straight classmate will be the one suspended. It's already happened.

If I have kids, the state will dictate to me that I have to let the gay crowd teach them all about gay fellatio before they even know how to count to ten. If I show even the slightest disgust with that, I'll be thrown into prison and accused of "child abuse" by the actual abusers. That's already happened in Massachusetts-under Romney no less.

In the navy, there are now three male-on-male sodomy rapes per day, courtesy of repealing "Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

I'll be put through the Diet of Worms when applying for a job if I dare not agree with the interviewer's insistence that, as a hired worker, I support the company's pro-gay stance. That kind of religious discrimination already happens in some workplaces.

If gay marriage is legalized for the entire country, these state-by-state isolated incidents will become the New Normal for everyone.

By the way, the Huffington Post tried to put my Facebook account on a hit list for the Gay Mafia. They changed their minds later to avoid a lawsuit. They're still targeting a few friends of mine that have higher ranks in the watchdog groups; but they say I'm too small a fish.

• I hope this was meant to be satirical.

• I have friends to protect on this one. Can't afford to leave a trail; because I know that speaking what I truly know and feel could lead to swift retaliation.

• Amazing answer. It is superb.