What does marriage mean to you?

what does marriage mean to you? Do you need a legal binding contract to show your love to your bf/gf?

Most Helpful Guy

• I do not know the law of the place where you wrote the question but here it has much more of a "legal binding contract" between husband and wife. We give security to each other and our future children (e.g. when it comes to heritage questions) on the legal level.

But much more important is the meaning of the marriage. We declared to each other and the people who know that we mean to stay together for our whole life. It's the ultimate promise we could give each other: We belong to each other in any situation this world might throw at us. Poverty, sickness, etc. are now borne together.

What Guys Said 2

• Marriage is simply dedicating your self to the person in your life that brings out the best in you. And I should note that my personal definition for "dedicating", and "brings out the best", should be as open ended as you need it to be.

• I don't think it's needed, it's just a confirmation of what you already know

Saying that, I do want one

What Girls Said 3

• Marriage means my financial freedom and wonderful selfishness in terms of what I do with my future has been taken away. Marriage is a huge sacrifice which is why it must be done with the absolutely correct person.

• No, no legally binding contract required. I don't want half of anything, or to trap anyone. I just wanted to be picked. I just wanted a man who would say, out of all the other women I could be happy with, I CHOOSE to be with you. Not because you're financially stable, or because I feel obligated, or because you got pregnant, but because, out of all the other people who could make me happy, I just want you.

• Found a soulmate