Do guys joke about marriage?

I've been with my boyfriend for five months and things are going very well and we are both in love with each other. The other night we were at the pub with our friends and we were all a little bit tipsy. My boyfriend whispered in my ear 'I want to marry you' and I laughed and said 'What?' and he said it again. Then I asked him if he ever told his ex girlfriend that he wanted to marry her and he said 'No, never. Not once in the three years we were together.'

So yeah, he was a bit tipsy so I just thought perhaps I should not take him seriously. But to get some info out of him, the next day I said to him in a jokey way, 'You said some weird things last night' and he said 'Like what?' then I said 'You said you wanted to marry me' and he laughed and said 'Did I?' and then he put his arm around me and had a big smile on his face.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think he might be seriously considering me as marriage material or do you think I should take it with a pinch of salt?

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, in that context, some guys DO joke about it. That doesn't mean there isn't a grain of truth in it, but he probably would regret saying that to you if he was sober, and didn't have plans that were at least a LITTLE more concrete than that.

Never take anything someone says under the influence too seriously.

What Guys Said 1

• A little both. Take it with a grain of salt, but don't entirely discount the idea. There is a chance he meant it. But until he actually says it when he's sober, I wouldn't get too worked up.

What Girls Said 1

• don't take it too seriously but keep it in mind, I think he actually sees a potential to spend the rest of his life with you