17 and engaged to my 18 year old boyfriend who's in the Marines?

My boyfriend asked me to marry him because he's going to the Marines in the next few weeks..im super happy and my parents are thrilled ha ha .anyone think this is a bad idea?

Most Helpful Guy

• For financial reasons I think it's really good. He gets paid more if he gets married when he's in the Marines. However marriage is a very serious thing, so you should know what you're getting into and be sure he's the guy you want to live with for the rest of your life. Congratulations though! :-)

What Guys Said 4

• First of all congrats

Second of all, good or bad depends on your goals in life.

If you want to be financially secure you want to have a college degree, the both of you, and you work 2-3 years and then you have kids. That way you have some job history making it easier to find the job after kids, vs. letting your "bare" college degree go stale.

I reckon he has college paid for him and if he takes advantage of that (he bloody should) and if you won't, there will be the education gap where he's educated and he makes all the money and you just sit there at home and watch TV shows for morons. Either you pull him down to your level and you'll have sub-middle-class life, or it will put undue pressure on your marriage where he's up here and you're down there.

• In a way I think it is bad I was engaged when I went to the marine corps to a girl I dated for 2 years and it's not easy being apart long distance relationships are hard but not impossible mine didn't work out it's a chance you got to take if your really in love with him

• *raises hand*

But what do I know? :)

• Well if anything, don't be a cheating slutty Military wife like the rest that are on base.

What Girls Said 1

• I do. Getting married young in the military is common, and often for bad or rushed reasons. The guys want to have a girl to come home to (even if they're unfaithful while they're gone), and they also like the extra pay from it. Most people I know who did this ended up getting divorced after he came home. This was partly because the intentions weren't the best, it happened too fast, and most admit they changed so much in a few years because of how young they were.

Not trying to scare you, but realize that marriage is a huge commitment for two teenagers to take on. Throw in the immaturity, the distance, and the temptation with other people...it's a recipe for disaster.