Say you got married to someone very opposite in their views, how do you raise the kids?

say you get married to someone, but they have different views? such as religion? or political affiliations? or anything else for that matter but mostly religion.

how do you decide which way to raise the kids?

Most Helpful Girl

• If I disagreed with my partner's views to the point I would not want my children growing up with them, I wouldn't marry them in the first place.

Just to humour you though, I think I would try meeting my partner halfway while putting my foot down on the issues that are real important to me. Take religion for example: I'm an atheist and while I would not expect my children to share my view I would want them to be religious or spiritual due to their full conviction and not just because that's the way they were brought up. So I think a good compromise would be agreeing that my partner share his religion with our children without imposing it on them or presenting it as the absolute truth.

However, that kind of relationship does sounds like more bother than it's worth.

What Girls Said 7

• Let them decide for themselves. Remain neutral around them or give them both options. Don't put the other persons beliefs down and appear open and it should be fine. Kids really should be able to choose for themselves. Especially politics... they can develop their own.

• You let the children decide for themselves. Every human has the right to. Just because they're kids doesn't mean that they're mindless. That's why I feel bad for children with extremely religious parents, they have everything forced onto them.

• My dad was Catholic, Mom Lutheran, and they raised me Lutheran. My mom's sister is Lutheran, her husband Catholic, and they raised their kids Catholic. It really depends on the relationship, who has stronger values (My dad wasn't very religious so he didn't care), etc.

• I would raise my kid in the best way that would be suited for him or her but I highly doubt I'll marry someone opposite of my views.

• first I wouldn't have kids with someone who had opposite views. I would find that part out while we were dating so there wouldn't be an issue

• That wouldn't occur in the first place

• politics isn't such a big deal, religion is more because it affects your entire way of life. if two of you are from different religions it is going to be very difficult when it comes to raising kids. two people of different religions can enjoy each other a lot and have a nice relationship but I don't know if marriage and raising a family is a good idea, unless both are not really practicing.

from mine and my friends' experiences, it is a better idea to marry someone who came from the same religion *if* you were raised with strong religious traditions because it will be a unifying factor, you will know how to raise your kids, and you will avoid a LOT of complications and probably have more in common.

i have dated outside my religion but I think I would only marry within..it took dating someone outside it to determine that.

What Guys Said 2

• I'm atheist, whereas my girlfriend is catholic. You teach your kids to be tolerant and open-minded. You say: "Mummy thinks this but daddy doesn't agree with mummy, yet mummy and daddy love each other very much." It's quite trivial if you think about it.

• My way or the high way