Why do people keep getting married?

Even when divorce rates are around 50% and infidelity is so common. Confuses me to no end. What do you think?

Bill Burr makes some good points. - link

link

WHAT IS LOVE?! - link

Most Helpful Guy

• Because what they thought they had was special.

• ^This.

People tell themselves they love someone and immediately think they have to get married. When I was at basic training for the army there were so many people my age (18-low 20s) that were engaged or married, and/or had a kid or 2 already.. it blew my mind. People rush into marriage because they let their emotions take over their mind. Marriage is great, but a lot of people rush into it way too fast.

What Girls Said 7

• It's better getting married first than having a kid first. Over here at AZ teen pregnancy increase by A LOT! It annoys me sometimes! Like before being pregnant was like awww how beautiful.. now it's like "Oh she pregnant..." How come there Isn't more weddings or more graduates than pregnancies?

honestly the whole marriage thing shouldn't be a complain at all especially if its based with Love. And Love Is An Intense feeling Of Deep Affection Towards Somebody...

• There's a point to marriage and if people are getting married then divorced, they're going against what marriage is all about. Same with infidelity, if a married man or woman is getting involved in that, they're going against what marriage is about. There's more that they're going against but I won't get into that.

If people don't know what marriage is meant to be then yeah, they're going to do all sorts of things that contradict each other.

• Why, would I get married? It's very important to me religiously and personally.

That's when I can finally give myself away completely- spiritually, sexually (especially), physically, mentally.

I don't pay attention to statistics and society too much. They don't run my life.

No, confusion here. People make whatever decisions they want.

• It's like saying "Why do people keep getting into relationships?" Or "Why do people keep having sex if later on they are going to want more?"

Marriages fail just like relationships, friendships, businesses, etc.

• the divorce rate is not 50%. the only reason why people say that is because the marriage rate and divorce rate is near 50% the yearly values.

• Why do people keep not getting married?

• Don't be a negative nancy

What Guys Said 6

• The issue isn't that people get married, or that they are taught that getting married is normal and expected. The problem is that most people aren't taught what marriage MEANS, nor do they have realistic expectations of how it works, or the work, effort, and sacrifice that comes with it.

As a result, many people get married with less thought than they'd give to their fast-food order, or they get married more for the WEDDING than for the marriage itself. Then when they discover marriage by itself isn't the magic path to happiness (because you still have to work at it every day), then they start to resent their partner and the marriage blows up.

SOME people still make it work because they have more realistic views (and examples that they saw growing up) of what a successful marriage is, and so they just do the work that comes with marriage and keep it healthy, and everything is fine.

Our society teaches young people a lot of rules and expectations, but often does a LOUSY job at giving them the CONTEXT for those rules and expectations, and that's the start of where things go wrong.

• A good number of marriages work quite well, but the one thing they have in common is that the people involved aren't severely screwed up. The one's that succeed are for the most part the "normal" people.

For the ones that it doesn't work;

Women think it's some great institution that will immediately provide them with a completeness their life has never known before and that they'll also be the envy of all the other women they know. Clearly this is short-sighted and foolish.

For too many men they simply cave in to the social pressure cause they don't know what else to do and/or are afraid, they're weak and spineless and as such end up doing whatever their gf/wife wants/says. Easy to see why those fail.

Marriage would work better as an institution again if men would stop bowing to womens demands of perfection and force them to lose the attitudes and entitlement complex. In doing so men will have regained their balls and can once again act as men with proper responsibility to be providers.

Only when men collectively refuse to take part in the sham/scam of accessory marriages will the institution be restored. When it again becomes a serious commitment or partnership rather than a legally binding version of dating will it see the levels of success it once had.

• We know each other since 1967, we married in 1971 (my parents in law insisted seriously) Not one of us thought about cheating and divorcing since.

But yes, we paid more taxes. :-P If we just had lived together it would have saved us a lot of bucks.

Yes, I know a number of other mariages don't last. Is that a reason to avoid marriage?

I don't think so.

A number of other people get alcohol problems: is that a reason to drink only soda or water?

I don't think so.

• 50/50 chance of staying with the woman I love? I love those odds, love is akin to been on some hard core narcotics and is a substantial high, I could easily tie the knot. Come what may not even trying to make a go of it reeks to me of a missed oppourtunity especially with an intense meaningful relationship. I listen to Bill on his podcast and even he some times laments his own phobia on the matter. Plus he has awesome chemistry and dialogue with Nea.

• People don't learn from others mistakes. They make the same mistakes, then regret it. some of them never learn.

• Beats me, To each's own.