Do you support gay marriage or not? (Please no hate whether you do or not!)

Being raised catholic I do not personally support gay marriage, but I see it this way. Just because you don't support it, why find evil ways to discriminate and humiliate gay people? In my eyes, I think marriage should be solemnly for a man and a woman because of my religion and the way I was raised. However, I would never treat a gay person with disrespect. I'm sure all of you have heard of the ChickfilA incident that is fueling all over the internet. I live in Texas and wherever you turn, you will see a ChickfilA. I think if you don't like what they have said you do NOT have to go. Either way supporting gay marriage or not, Chickfila does not ban gay people from going to chickfila and if they do go, they treat them with respect and not rudely. So what is your input in the matter? Do you support it or not? Why or why not? And please as I have included in the title, NO HATE. We're adults and I assume all of us can handle a topic of this situation maturely. Thanks!

• I support it
  • I don't support it
  • I'm not on either side

Most Helpful Girl

• as a black, atheist, feminist, liberal, bisexual woman, and someone who believes in civil rights and equal rights, there would be no moral justification or logical reason for me to oppose gay marriage. I cant, out of interest for myself, because of my beliefs, and my compassion for people support any law banning gay marriage or any inaction in law that doesn't address this injustice.

you can say anything you want about your beliefs, but to me its no different from telling me that I can't marry someone because I'm black, or because I'm atheist, telling me I can't vote because I'm a woman, etc. it is an essentially bigoted, and often hateful, position to oppose gay marriage. you're being intolerant of other types of people and telling them that they shouldn't be entitled to the basic rights that other groups have. but we've been down this road before with people who have ideals of social justice vs. the conservative bigots. hopefully things go the course that some others have gone, and just like my ancestors had to fight for their own basic rights, we will continue pushing for ours and hopefully the outcome will be just and in line with at least the veneer of the American ideal. its just sad that we are dealing with this in the 21st century, in a country that is often considered to be head of the pack in terms of civil rights and the leader of the free world. but that's the punch line I guess. nothing new there.

What Guys Said 17

• I don't support government-institutionalized marriage at all.

I don't think being gay is wrong, but I don't think a same-sex union constitutes as a marriage.

A marriage is a religious union between a man and a woman under god.

The disparity comes when homosexuals believe that their interests are being shunted in favour of those of heterosexual couples because the government recognizes and issues benefits to married couples.

If it's about equality, then the government shouldn't recognize anyone's marriage.

After all, separation of church and state.

• I was not raised in a religious home and so have no religious influence what so ever. I completely support gays' right to marry. That being said, I do think that individual churches are allowed to have their own policies on whether or not they will conduct gay marriages.

This follows with the whole separation of church and state idea. Legally gays should be allowed to marry, churches just shouldn't be forced to conduct them. This way, gays have the right to be married, and churches aren't forced to change their beliefs.

I actually hadn't heard of the Chick-Fil-A incident until now, so I'm only going off of what wikipedia said. My understanding is that the company sponsored a marriage conference run by a third party that wouldn't allow gay couples to participate. This to me sounds like guilt by association. While I wouldn't be a supporter of that third party, that doesn't mean that the Chick-Fil-A company is lobbying to restrict gay rights.

It also stated that it has financially supported other groups that are known for lobbying against same-sex marriages amongst other gay rights issues. I can't really say that I support these actions, but I do find them to be pretty minor.

The other point I came across was Dan Cathy's remarks about god's definition of a marriage. To me, that's one person's opinion, and he's entitled to it.

If the company had policies against hiring gay staff members, or refusing service to them, or allowing harassment of them, then that would be an issue worthy of national uproar.

While I completely support gay marriage, and probably greatly oppose the ideas of some of the groups it supports, I don't see Chik-Fil-A as anything to get worked up about.

• I don't give a sh*t if gay people marry each other.

That being said, if this is some kind of proxy war between liberals and conservatives -or religious people versus atheists- then I support the Conservatives or the religious people over the atheist liberals. I am not religious or too conservative, but atheist zealots and liberal schmucks annoy me to no end.

Here is an example of how stupid liberals are: link

That f***ing moron Rahm Emanuel wants to obstruct the restaurant chain Chick-Fil-A from expanding in Chicago because the CEO doesn't like f**elas, but yet he gives an open invitation to the racist, homophobic, vitriolic scumbag Louis Farrakhan.

• You should read the bible for once instead of snippets or what people tell you about it. It supports polygamy. Many of the men in the bible had multiple wives and concubines. Also, if a virgin woman is raped, a man must pay her father some chickens or something and then they must be married. Yep, the bible sure has a real good message for marriage alright.

My point is simple. There really is nothing say that marriage is solemnly between one man and one women, even in the bible. And who cares honestly. It's their life and it affects no one else. Leave em be. And if you think it's an insult to God, I think you've got a pretty ugly view of God. I don't think any real God is so narrowminded or hateful towards a group of people. Let's face facts, the Bible and many religious texts were written by men. Even if God ever had an influence, He did give us free will right? So clearly that free will meant these people could have twisted things to suit their own agendas even going against God. What makes you think that didn't happen? You've got a pretty naive understanding of humans if you think it didn't happen.

Note: I don't actually have a belief one way or another in God, but I'd say if there is one I don't think he's all hateful and bitter and petty as so many devote people (of various religions) make Him/Her/Them out to be. Any sort of God that isn't truly good for all when those people harm no one else is not a God worth praising or praying or bothering with.

• i don't support marriage. It's a religious ceremony that shouldn't come with federal benefits. The federal benefits can be granted to gay or straight couples, sure, but it should have nothing to do with the religious ceremony.

That aside, each individual church should be able to decide for themselves whether or not they will perform gay marriages. I'm honestly indifferent as to whether they do or not.

• :o that is actually a great idea about churches themselves deciding not the entire nation!

• I don't really care what they want to do since it doesn't affect me directly. I'm not gay and I don't ever expect to be, however they have just as much right to be with whomever they want.

But that doesn't make it a marriage per se. Call it whatever you want, some people will never be happy with the outcome from both sides. There's simply no pleasing everyone, so I think you might as well give everyone their own choice.

Still give them gay marriage and in 5 years you'll have gay divorce. Considering how promiscuous most gays are, I don't really imagine a lot of them are all that serious about marriage, they just see it as some sort of social hurdle to overcome in social acceptance. After all isn't that why anyone does anything?

• I agree to an extent, some gay people are really serious about each other, but like you said gay marriage comes with gay divorce!

• The first amendment prohibits legislation favoring any religion, so your reasoning is unconstitutional.

• Well, I guess I support it. I really don't care, but I don't see what is so bad about gay marriage. I am not gay, and I am not very religious either.

• i see no reason why they shouldn't so I'm for it. They are people and if they want to get married then should be able to

• I'm OK with it. With gay marriage comes gay divorce. Gays ought to face the same consequences we straights do when it comes to marriage.

• I don't care what other people do with their lives as long as it doesn't involve me. This doesn't, so they can marry, be polygamous, or whatever they want as far as I'm concerned.

• I don't support it

and I don't NOT support it

I... don't care what other people do with their lives, homosexuals being married does not effect me one bit

• I'm against it myself, but if anyone supports it, let them do what they want, all they need to do is just leave me alone.

• i do not like gaysl

• I support it, because I have never seen a convincing reason not to support it.

• Attack me for not being PC but I don't support it. I mean I don't see why I'm not allowed to have an opinion and agree with something I don't. I don't care or mind what gay people do but I don't believe they should get married

• Wasn't that contradicting? If you don't care what they do then why do you have an opinion of what they do..I don't get it.

• But that's like saying my religion says blacks and whites can't be together,

it's stupid

whether or not people do or do not support it, it should be law

• Well I was raised catholic, I go to church (almost) every Sunday, and in the bible that's what it says, but just because I don't support it doesn't mean I judge people who do. Its not fair for you to say my opinion is stupid. I don't think your opinion is stupid. Blacks and whites couldn't be together at some point in time and now that has long passed, maybe in the future the same will happen for gays.

• there's nothing about gays getting married

your opinion shouldn't be law

you have to respect other people beliefs and can't impose yours

• Yes most is outdated! Like the tattoo and piercing thing being a sin is extremely outdated, and I do respect other people's opinions I just didn't take you calling my opinion stupid very kindly.

What Girls Said 11

• I support it but I respect the opinions of those who don't.

• I think that a person should marry whomever they wish, no matter their sex. Unless it directly affects me in some negative way, I have no reason to be against that. Love is love, and that's all that would matter to me. I agree with the anonymous user - if you want someone to respect your beliefs, you should respect theirs.

• Yes gay marriage should be allowed. I have many gay/lesbian friends, and to see them constantly be treated as less than human, deprived of rights straight couples are entitled to makes me mad. I could go marry a guy I met off the street right now if I really wanted to, but a loving, committed, couple that have been together for years can't? It's not right. I don't care if the church says no, it's their own irrational business, but the government has no place to do the same.

• I am also catholic but I support it I don't believe in everything that the church does.

• Neither do I :)

• a cop lives next door (a very good friend of my parents) I would have to tell him everywhere I was going, who I was talking to and all that. The next day, I went to church and prayed and asked for forgiveness and asked for god to please help me through the situation, days passed and the bastard left me alone,he had even called my boyfriend and threatened him but he left us alone. After that, I changed my number, was careful of who I added on Facebook, and was just cautious of everything I did,

• me and my boyfriend are still together and this happened about a year ago, me and my boyfriend became 11 months of being together today and I'm very grateful, I learned a pretty bad lesson!

• i think the problem here is that people don't understand the arguement. people aren't saying that gay people (including myself) are less than straight people, they are saying that in the bible it says that homosexuality is a sin "do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman", futhermore as marriage is a religious tradition then anyone who is religious should therefore be against gay marriage... theyre not saying gay people can't be together in the same way (civil partnership) at all... as an athiest I couldn't care less about marrage

• i support it, but since i dont actively do anything, i should maybe say im not on either side.
    the issue does not affect my life at all so i dont really care.

• I don't care if they get married

• I fully support gay rights, and I believe anybody should be able to get married, regardless of their sexuality. I'm also religious. A lot of people seem to think these two things are incompatible, and judge me because of it, and that's something I've never really understood.

I support gay marriage because I don't think there's anything wrong with being gay. I also don't think anyone has the right to take away someone else's rights because of their own personal beliefs.

• I'm neutral. I have nothing against gay people. If they want to marry then so be it.

However, your statement "In my eyes, I think marriage should be solemnly for a man and a woman because of my religion and the way I was raised" is a form of bigotry.

• Just the way it is, sorry. Being a latina my family (as in my mother) is very religious. we go to church whenever we get the chance, and I was just raised to see gay marriage as a sin, however unlike other religious people I don't treat them any differently then I treat other people. I am positive down the line gay people will have the right to marry. I also respect your views, sorry if you think what I said was a form of bigotry.

• Never forget that the bible is full of bigotry and words that encourage divisions. Religion, itself, is like a form of racism that divides people and families from one another. This is why I'm atheist, because I want no part of all that insanity.

• True! Religion can be blamed for wars, murders, and the like.

• I guess I'm on neither side. Mainly, because I don't know a lot of gay people and if I do know them they haven't came out of the closet about it. But, it doesn't effect me as long as the person does not hit on me I have absolutely no problem with which way they sway (:. Anyways, what happened at chick fil a? I never heard about it, I live in WV

• Well the president of the company is anti-gay marriage. Now 3 cities refuse to have chickfila restaurants, including Chicago.

• Yes! They close Sundays for church.

• yeah so that would be why they don't agree with it lol

• personally for me, it's not whether I support it or not

i just don't understand why someone else's business or lifestyle should concern me when it has zero effect on how I am living my life

all in all, if you want someone to respect your beliefs, the first thing you should do is respect theirs :)

• That is VERY true!

• and may I add I think you're being very mature about

you have an opinion, but you also understand that it is wrong to attack based on a personal opinion

bravo to you :)