Do you think the sanctity of marriage is falling short of its past expectations?

Most Helpful Girl

• I think we are seeing a big change where marriage, home, family life are becoming a thing of the past. Must has to do with the free sex revolution of the 60's, our now fast paced lives both personal and work and a genereation of people who have no idea what real love and family are. Kids graduating from high school with both parents still in an intact marriage is the minority today. It is sad but so true.

What Girls Said 2

• yeah... I can't remember them at the moment, but I saw some statistics in several articles in my Sociology class that suggested that marriage is becoming obsolete. Kinda sad if you ask me.

• Most definitely

What Guys Said 1

• In some of the earliest records that speak of marriage, speak of it strictly as an economic tool. So in history, marriage has not always been about love, but rather business. Considering the records for marriage date back so far that we are unsure of where it actually originated thus not knowing what it was actually for, I'd say, that It's more or less just the tolerance of many other factors that have caused it to fall short of it's not so distant past. Women's rights, tolerance of divorce, etc. Things like that have contributed to this "downfall", if you will, to marriage. To explain, woman used to have the obligation to obey their husbands and divorce was seen as an act so intolerable that it was practically not a choice, but in recent years, women no longer are obligated to obey their husbands, and divorce is now an option if the married couple no longer wishes to be together. So in short, for good things to happen, something must suffer, in this case, women rights and unhappy couples being able to divorce is the good, while the sanctity of marriage suffers.