Is it bad to not ever want to get married?

I've always wanted a fairy-tale wedding but lately I've been feeling that marriage is kind of pointless. I feel marriage puts a constraint on a couple.

Most Helpful Guy

• to me there is spiritual marriage and there is legal marriage. I think if you love somebody and that feeling is very strong and mutual, that is enough to classify you as married (not a very religious person). In the way most people view it though it has to be legal, that's where the thought of control and constraint might come from. Just my opinion on it.

What Guys Said 8

• Which should be viewed as more pointless? A fairy tale wedding where everyone puts on their finest to spend obscene amounts of money of things you'd otherwise never purchase nor use?

Or marriage is pointless as a whole? There is a lot to be said for the harmony, warmth and multi faceted nurturing of a two parent house when raising children... and biologically that is what we're here for anyways.

Fairy tale weddings = good though mighty expensive memories so take lots of pics; or simplify and have a more normal wedding gathering somewhere pretty without the wasteful expense of feeding every 2nd cousin your mother ever knew.

• Whoever said my fairy-tale wedding was something expensive and extravagant?

• Most of us went through times we thought we would never et married, but now all my friends are married. Nowadays with the instability in peoples lives, I"m sure even more younger people aren't getting married.

Certainly there's nothing bad about thinking this way. But I'd say few constraints arise from marriage. Most constraints are in our lives already before we got married.

• LOL! This is actually something I talked to a friend about today. I'm not laughing at you, but how funny it is that I spoke to him about this.

Marrage isn't the same thing as it was 50-70 years ago. Today it's a piece of paper that says that you are bound to another person, and it's just not like 1950's where it ment that people were wanting to be together for life.

Divorce rates are higher now than ever. But don't give up on it. Marrage is still a good thing if you're willing to work on it.

• I personally avoid the idea like it's leprosy.

I don't understand why people see some over the top party and a piece of paper as a huge step in their relationship. The idea of it is ridiculous and I reckon WANTING to get married is bad, not avoiding it.

Then again, I may be a bit biased...

• Not at all! We should all pursue things that we want personally. You shouldn't feel the need to conform to societal or traditional customs.

• "I've always wanted a fairy-tale wedding but lately I've been feeling that marriage is kind of pointless. I feel marriage puts a constraint on a couple."

I feel the same way about marriage as you do.

• Life is very seldom a fairy tale...and no need to marry at a tender age...oh...and no it is not bad to want to "never get married"...but I think that you will likely find a man who makes you wish to cleave to him...(:(:(:

• I think marriage between man and women is a most beautiful thing.

• I would get married. Just simple things like going for walk or going to the store together seems nice.

What Girls Said 6

• I don't blame you... with the divorce rate as high as it is, I have my doubts too. It's like the vows and promises you make at the altar don't mean anything anymore. F---ing disgusting if you ask me.

• It depends.Depends on the mental matching of the couple.In my case I am lucky enough in getting a friendly and liberal husband who never put any restriction on me.But it is rare.If you can choose the right partner then that will be the best option.

• nope!

I don't think its pointless, but I don't think there has to be a label.

• I wasn't asking if it was pointless, that's just my view on marriage lately.

• I know you were not asking if it was pointless...

• I don't want marriage either

• Everyone on the planet will try to make you feel bad about something or other. There's social pressure on girls to start dreaming about weddings (which comes from reading all the darned fairy tales). It continues on through the "dating fever" that starts in your teens and never seems to go away as you move from the anxiety to find your fairy-tale guy to the anxiety of keeping the clicking sound of your biological clock from overwhelming your latest prospect. You end up being so obsessed with the wedding that you marry the wrong guy before he -- or you -- are ready and the fairy tale quickly reveals itself to be a dark and sordid nightmare.

Do I believe in fairy tales? Hell yes. I believe in rainbows and silver linings too. I just don't think the fairy tale marriage exists. There is the HAPPY marriage, but not the PERFECT marriage. Fairy tales always have their highs and lows and they keep our hopes alive; you have to be aware of both sides of the story. Not everything is as it seems, not everyone is a prince or princess in their hearts. Evil does exist, but so does goodness. These are the things we're really meant to learn from those stories. The journey's often more important than the happy ending.

• You know I got the same out look on it marriage doesn't even last now in days if you ask me.But I figure ill let time take it course and do my own thing in the mean time. Plus I am in no rush to get into all that marriage just seems like a huge commitment one day I might change my mind but no t today,