Would you be embarrassed if you boyfriend/girlfriend, husband/wife had a higher salary then you?

If your boyfriend/girlfriend, husband/wife made more money then you salary wise, for the sake of the question lets say they made at least $25,000 more then you and was in a different career, would you be embarrassed.

Now this isn't to say they buy everything or rub it in to your face, I'm just talking about the paycheque and the number on it.

For example if you made $60,000 and he/she made $85,000

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

• Only if he made an issue out of it, that would make me uncomfortable because I've always been pressured by my family to work and make money, be self-supporting and I have been my whole life.

I've had both high paying and low paying jobs, a range so far.

I think a job is a job and at least a person is making effort doing what they can and contributing.

25,000 isn't a huge difference in my mind.

No the 60,000 versus 85,000 are both livable wages, people making this money should be thankful.

• Okay, I'm a little uncomfortable with it. It's not embarrassment...it's just a type of pressure from the way I was raised and how I grew up.

What Girls Said 6

• I'd never give a significant other/spouse a hard time for making more than I do. As long as they're being productive, doing something they enjoy and are good at, and the bills are paid, that's all that would matter to me. I just expect that if they do make more than I do, that they won't shove it in my face and try to make me feel bad about making less.

• no, my ex. makes 50% more than me.

not embarrassed at all.

i think it's more interesting asking about the gap...since most don't make equal amount and the percentage of those making $25 diff. may be the norm.

there are also a lot stay home moms or dads

• No. My career will hopefully mean more to me than money, so I wouldn't ever feel negatively about my significant other making more.

• No. From where I come from, one party doesn't even earn at all specially if they stay at home taking care of kids or the household.

• I would rather be paid on a job that I loved than worry about how much I make or my husband makes.

• I wouldn't be, sort of want him to make more money than me actually (and once I'm done, I'll be making a fair bit). I would like to hear how guys feel about this though (since the guy I'm going for atm would be making significantly less if we were at the same stage in life).

What Guys Said 2

• I still can't understand why anyone would be embarassed if they are making less than their partner. At the end of the day, isn't part of being in love with someone working toward making a better life for the both of you? I don't see a relationship as a competition, and if that's the way the girl sees it, I am with the wrong girl

• Only if she made WAY more than me - then it'd be like, why do I even have a job? Well, that is, unless I really had a passion for the job. But I would try to actually provide for her (and the family if we had one), so if the job was holding me back I'd have to maybe go part-time and look after the family the rest of the time. It wouldn't be great, though. I'd like to be the one to make the money for the family. I wouldn't wanna be a "househusband".