Guy doesn't want to get married?

I've been dating a guy for a year and a half now. We were talking about some stuff like getting married etc. And he said to be that he will not get married (obviously I don't want to get married right away).

I really want to get married one day and I don't know if its worth while staying with him and hoping that he will change his mind? Must I wait till one day few years from now and then leave him cause he doesn't want to get married?

This for info: He was engaged a few years back though.

And when I asked him why did he engaged if he doesn't want to get married - he said to me, its because he loved her.

Please help!

Most Helpful Guy

• He could still be sore from his engagement, and be scared of commitment. If he loved her and wanted to marry her but something happened to end their relationship then he doesn't want to go through that again, but eventually he will let it go. It doesn't mean that he NEVER wants to get married, it just means that he needs time to deal with what happened and that marriage is a delicate topic to talk about with another girl he likes. Don't view it as a red flag because, well, if it happened to you how would you feel?

But just because you're not married doesn't mean that you guys can't be in a relationship. A lot of people stay boyfriend/girlfriend for a while until they decide to get married(some people 10 or more years). Marriage doesn't have to be a thing you should be too freely talking about unless he brings it up though, because guys don't think about marriage the same as women. It isn't as big of a deal to men as it is to women, doesn't mean that it isn't a big deal to guys because it is(it's more about love and having that person for the rest of his life, than it is about memories and cake and family and friends and the dress and whatever women have weddings for)

What Guys Said 2

• He's probably scared of marriage from his failed engagement.

• I'm pushing 40. Still don't want to get married.

I think if he knows at 20 something that he doesn't want to get married, then he's very unlikely to change.

The more important question is why he didn't get married - did she dump him? (In which case maybe he'll get over being hurt) or did he break it off? If he did it, then even though he loved her and got engaged, he obviously still couldn't bring himself to get married - so he really never will.

What Girls Said 2

• I know it's easier said than done but I would dump him. Tell him you really want to get married someday at if he doesn't your goals just aren't compatible

• I don't get why people get so hyped over this? Why do you care if you are married or not? As long as you two are together and happy, it's okay. Why is a piece of paper so f***in important to you?

Is he committed?

Is he respectful?

Does he qualify to be the guy you always wanted? If yes, then marriage shouldn't matter. You are with him.