Guys....is a ring an engagement ring...if he doesn't propose

The boyfriend gave me a beautiful diamond ring wasith silver band for Christmas. He didn't propose...just watched me open it. Its absolutely beaytiful. How do I know if engagement or promise ring...without asking and feeling stupid.

Most Helpful Guy

• Did he get on one knee and ask you to marry him? Your description says not, so he didn't propose. It might not even be real diamond. It might be a promise ring. Or, maybe, he just bought you a ring because he didn't know what else to get you. Who knows?

What Guys Said 9

• Make it what you want it to be.

If you want to be engaged to Mr. Bright then tell people in front of him how dim witt gave you an engangment ring and was too lame for words.

Or just slap him on the back and say, thanks.

Good luck your are going to need it.

• They are traditionally symbolic of commitment, but realistically are just an over priced material object. It's funny how much people are willing to pay for carbon... Many women see the gesture of giving that specific material object to them as loving and a promise of commitment. Many girls feel they are "loved" when they receive "gifts" no matter if it's jewelry, flowers, chocolates, a dinner and night out on the town, etc. It's not your best trait as a sex.

• No, if he didn't propose, the ring is just a gift.

• He's f***ing stupid for giving you a ring and not proposing. He should have gave a you a necklace or something.

• I have no idea. And honesty this is why I don't buy rings for girls in dating.

• He didn't propose anything woman.

• Diamonds are just a competition between women to see who gets the biggest one.

• Rings are so a guy can say "I bought you that damn ring didn't I"?

It's just so much easier to blurt out then "I bought you that blue 2012 Jeep with custom soft-top that you liked so much & I couldn't really afford so I must love you, you ungrateful bit...beautiful thing you"

• if it meant something he'd tell you... its just a ring

What Girls Said 7

• That's ridiculous.

Now, I've never been into the superficial value of diamonds. I used to think of them as cop outs too. And they can be, I agree, if bought with the wrong purpose.

But if bought for the clear right purpose, then it can be fully sentimental. Yes, it's easy for it to lose the value in it when so many create a materialistic view around them. I used to not care

much for it either. I perceived jewelry to be inpractical. After a while, I found myself developing a taste for simple silve jewelry, usually fake. I would buy them and wear them endlessly, day in day out. Shortly after, I developed favorite earrings I found at a salon. Angel wings. My brother had died in June, and the design was beautiful. I was complimented often on them and would point others at where they were sold.

Most recently, while packing up my sister's stuff, there was a silver necklace with a star charm. I put it on in August and wore it from then. She had gotten it from a friend who thought she'd like it and he never wore necklaces. When my boyfriend met me, he would pick it up, and examine it, asking me about it. I revealed that it had become sentimental to me. The star simply 'fit'. I also explained my earrings to him.

Knowing how much the pieces meant to me and how much I treasured them and stayed true to them, he took personal note that I treasured them. He commented that he wanted to get me a necklace and I thought nothing of it. After all, I didn't expect jewelry as a display of love. I lost one of my angel wings and was heartbroken over it.

On Christmas, he when I opened the box, there were two small boxes inside. The first I opened had a perfect silver snowflake necklace on it with an open heart on the center. The second, tiny dangling snowflakes to match. I was surprised how much it meant...that he'd picked something so 'right' for my taste. I commented on the open heart, and he relayed the special meaning told to him by the jewelry store representative was that it meant forever. When he said it, I knew there was more behind his purchase than impressing me or gifting me with something shiny. To him, it MEANT something, and in turn, it meant as much to me. I knew they were bought to show me how special I was (and am) to him. That he wanted to keep me around, and had no qualms with expressing that it was a relationship he could foresee being indefinite.

My jewelry from him, aside from being perfect for me as are, are much more then pieces of silver to me. Every time I touch them, it's a reminder of the way he feels about me. What I wear is a symbol that I accept and return his commitment, simply by wearing it and entirely appreciating it.

While jewelry can be misused or chosen for materialistic reasons and while some purchase to make a point without following through in action, jewelry can actually be a very sicere token of affection. It's not JUST overpriced carbon and ore. It's priced because it's a precious metal meant to last.

• No. He did not propose thus this is not an engagement ring. He did not tell you what the ring means so assume it means nothing.

• Because the Marketing companies say so

• My friend bought his girlfriend a ring without meaning once year and didn't even think of what it might mean to her, even after a bunch of girls told him it's a bad idea.

She opened it and freaked out and he said it was just a ring.

• Just ask the ring is a big deal! Ask woman! You have nothing to lose. Don't be embarrassed he loves you clearly :)

• umm you can ask him .. ask him something like so what's does this ring mean .. make it friendly

• it isn't an engagement ring if he didn't ask you to marry him