Do you think marriage speeds up aging?

not only do you go through excessive pain and stress during marriage but I notice a lot of people around the same age as me who are already married not only look older then their actual age but, they also behave 10-20 years older.

plus I have noticed that people who aren't married tend to not only look more alive and healthier, but they seem to be more outgoing and adventurous then people who are married.

anyways, this is my philosophy. but what is yours? do you also think marriage is bad for your health?

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm not married, but from my observations it depends on the relationship and also other factors about their situation (such as whether they have long suffered from financial issues). I know many older couples who are happily married, people who I feel are truly compatible and have, over the years, figured out how to balance their skills, and their shortcomings, in a way that allows both to contribute positively to the relationship. There are however many people who are perhaps with someone who is not truly compatible with them. Then there are those people who are simply better being on their own, or in relationships that don't require the extreme amount of self-sacrifice that is required of marriage. Perhaps they give too much of themselves in a marital relationship, and end up losing their independence and ability to think of themselves as not only part of a union, but also as an individual. Or perhaps they are just too independent to give their partner the dedication they need. I think it all depends on the individuals involved, and how they come together. Finding the "right one" is extremely difficult, and often people don't realize that they are with someone who is, in the long run, causing them more pain than gain until many years into the relationship. And at that point they love the person so much, or rely on them so much, or have so many obligations and connections with them (such as children), that they can't imagine separating from them.

What Girls Said 11

• I don't think it's necessarily marriage that ages you. Definitely an UNhealthy marriage will not do you any good.

But also HAVING KIDS! will age you faster than you can believe. From the moment they are born you stop getting the amount of sleep you need and the stress is enormous. And it really doesn't end until they all leave the nest.

And that is another one of the numerous reasons I have for never having children. I've got college friends who are my age or slightly younger than me, and yet they look definitely older just from the exhaustion that comes from having children.

If you add a bad marriage on top of that, then yeah, you're gonna look older faster than normal. Plus smoking or too much drinking, those will really age you as well.

• People that are married live longer on average than people that aren't. They are also at lower risks of heart attack due to reduced stress levels. Yes Marriage is HORRIBLE for you.

• all the ladies I know that are in their 30's and unmarried are looking stressed out and scared. they desperatly want a husband and I think its aging them. but I would think that if you are in a happy loving and sex filled marraige, you would feel and look quite youthful

• I love how you put "sex filled marriage" next to happy loving! :D A lot of people forget that about marriage or neglect ways to please one another as they used to.

• of course. and don't forget the workout it provides!

• I think studies have shown those who are [happily] married live happier, longer lives than their single counterparts.

link

link

• Quite the opposite. Studies show marriage contributes to a longer and healthier life. With so many divorced, unhappily married folks I wonder how they arrived at that conclusion! O.o

• Live long, live free! =P

• Because the ones that survive marriage, usually have good marriages. The ones that don't are all pissed and hate each others guts, are fighting over money, the kids, and end up in one hundred and one failed relationships after their split that makes their life a train wreck. =P

• I think it's unhealthy marriages that age people and sadly in this day and age we see more unhealthy marriages than healthy ones.

• i think you naturally age as soon as you have kids (thanks Nature!) but being married or not I don't think changes you a lot in terms of ageing. Some people will probably behave differently, but then others just stay their old self and still party as much!

• Did you consider the fact that married people have families and responsabilities unmarried people don't?

Marriage as in being with one person forever isn't bad for your healt, building a relationship isn't bad for your health. But working 24/7 to earn money to raise children is. You should say raising children is bad for your healt.

As for behaving more maturely... That also comes with parenthood. It puts life in a different perspective.

• I wish I was married or living with someone . I think it would make me sleep better at night next to my guy so I d look younger lol plus sex everyday .

• Lol marriage isn't bad for your health. I was married 17 years, the collapse of a marriage is bad for your health. Most studies show people that are married live longer happier lives.

• Granted you have more responsibilities in a marriage, it doesn't speed up aging. Unhappy ones might but I know quite a few who are happily married and look and feel young. Besides, you will have to grow old some day.

What Guys Said 4

• Married men live longer, apparently. I think it may be true that guys your age (and mine) who are single might worry more about their appearance and indirectly weigh less. In the long run though, guys with wives get nagged to go do the doctor more which pays off when older.

As for 'acting older', I don't think 'older' is the right way of looking at it. Well, maybe in a few ways, but overall, its just 'different'. Being married, having kids, you live 'differently' then you do single, without kids. You think of it as 'older' but its not really. Its just a way of living you associated, as a kid, more with 'old people'.

I'm not sure about being 'more outgoing'. I might hazard a guess that the most outgoing men are single, and the least outgoing men are single - but invisible to you. They're at home.

• It's true!

It's weird seeing a guy, especially, around my age who refers to "their wife". It's just weird.

Still this young boy, really, talking about his wife.

• Modern marriage = pesticide on a man's soul.

• Only if you have kids. I suppose you would be stressed if you married the wrong person, and they made your life a living hell, that would probably stress you out.