Do you believe in same sex marriage?

please no fighting over views

i just want to know peoples views on same sex marriage.

i myself am for it

i myself am an 18 year old lesbian from new york so I of course would be for it.

but I want to know your views and why you would not be for it

or why you are for it.

i love to understand people and there views. can you please just keep this argument free and just put your opinion...please remember everyone is entitled to there own opinion. we were all raised differently and have different views...but sitting back and listening to others can help you understand and maybe change your views..

thank you for taking your time out and please I can not stress this enough, PLEASE DO NOT FIGHT.

• Yes, people should marry who they love no matter what sex they are.
  • No, marriage is for men and women together.
  • I myself believe it doesn't matter I'm not for nor am I against it.
for all the people who are for it and will find this cute I was with my nephew today, ryan, and we were talking about all the things wrong in the world and you wanna know what he said to me?

He was like "Yabow, I wish girls could marry girls and boys could marry boys." I was like why? and he was like "cause I want to see you happy "=] by the way my nephew is going to be 6 on may 6th.if he can have a open mind and wanna make people happy y not
i don't feel like searching but someone said my nephew said this because its put in his head that this is normal..well he said that he wanted it to be allowed because it would make me happy..not because that is normal.just saying...wanted to prove a point

Most Helpful Guy

• personally, I'm against the concept of same sex marriage, but the government or anyone shouldn't force anyone to ban same sex marriage. if anyone's against marrying someone of the same sex, then they shouldn't marry someone of the same sex. it's that simple. I'm not gay, but I don't care either. because it's not like I have to marry a gay or anything.

if you don't like gay marriage, then don't marry a gay. everyone should have their own feelings about it. if a gay guy has reason to fall in love with someone of the same sex, so be it. I don't care. I don't are if their 'souls have to be saved because the bible says so', because they're in love. I don't care about gay marriage, because I'm not gay. anyone who is straight shouldn't care about gay marriage in the first place because it's not like they're being forced to marry a gay.

So I voted C.

• Thank you sooooo much!

you have no idea to hear a person be against it but not be a douche toward the subject just made my night=]

please done change and listen to others keep your mind the way it is I love it! =]

• I wonder as to why I have more disagreements. I think that my idea isn't too bad. If you aren't gay in the first place, why should you even care about gay marriage? You aren't being forced to marry someone gay, so you shouldn't care. Doesn't anyone have the right to love anyone, even if they disagree with your personal opinion? For me, I know that I find the idea of gay marriage to be ridiculous, but no one should be a douche towards people who support gay marriage.

• I agree.

if you don't agree with something just turn away.

i don't agree with a lot of things that people do and instead of judging I just turn the other cheek.

its not right to judge people for who they are.....i try not to judge cause karma will find its way back to you no matter what.

i've found that to be true

What Guys Said 11

• Marrying someone is about love. It doesn't matter if they're of the same sex. And no religion, or government should have so much power that they can say who you can, or can't love. They restrict benefits to worthy people just because they think it's wrong, or a taboo.

• In my personal opinion, as how I've dictated my love life so far, it doesn't matter what someone looks like, including gender, as long as they love you and share a connection.

And that's it.

• Gender is more than just what one looks like.

• My bad, I wasn't specific enough. In general, I would date someone who's male or female because it's simply how they go about themselves and women and men share many similar attractive features.

Basically, it doesn't matter what the gender, people should be allowed to marry whoever they want and it simply doesn't affect other people so they should back off and let people be who they are.

• I agree with you 100%

• It isn't my place to object should two people, of any description, choose to enter into a contract before man, vowing themselves to each other in whatever capacity brings them comfort. However, as a Christian, I.couldn't support a church-sponsored "marriage" of this sort, as the Bible speaks so plainly against it. While I would vote against the legalization of same-sex marriage, I do this only in deference to my own beliefs, and not from any malicious motivation. I'm a lover of people, not a hater of same. All the best.

• But as you can read from the peoples comments below that the bible is also for incest and in the bible people are suppose to get stoned to death......im doubting you believe in that.

but what makes things like this different? people change over the years.....we change to fit peoples customs.

i understand the church and I'm not saying we should be able to get married in a church but people get married in court houses all the time why cnt we just not be allowed to get married in a church? if they

• You guys use to much of big biblical words....im getting lost.....

but all I know is that were all gods children, speaking as if you believe, he made us and he loves us for who we are and we are gay, we are lesbians, we are bisexuals, we are transgender. I say we cause were all in this together, some hiding but those who love being who they are, like me, will fight. God made us knowing our capabilities. that's why he didn't kill us all after adam and eve or just kill us during Noah's Ark.

• He loves us no matter what!

go preach somewhere else please.....i dnt want to hear it.

• I personally am deeply divided and conflicted on this issue.

The easy answer is to say I don't believe same sex marriage should be allowed because I find it morally wrong. Yet, a committed married couple is much better than a couple that is not committed and is just sleeping around or treating relationships and sex lightly. Prior to the AIDS epidemic bath houses and having numerous partners was quite common among the gay male population. This is one of the reasons why AIDS was first discovered and so fast spreading within the gay male population. However, it is my impression that things have changed to a greater or lesser degree in the gay community with more and more individuals committing to more monogamous relationships. Now, does that make homosexuality right for me, no, but it is better than promiscuity.

Now for other issues that I find important, I believe in equality and equal rights. I also believe in the proper use of choice and self-control. I also believe that many (most?) of the gay population are gay by nature and not by choice. Among some friends of mine I know that if it was simply a choice they would choose to be straight because that would be so much easier socially, and from the perspective of their own personal religious and moral beliefs. So there is the paradox for me--I think homosexual actions are wrong, but having homosexual preferences is beyond the realm of choice for many people. So do you fault them for the way they are by nature? Do you condone something you feel is morally wrong because they didn't choose it? Can you justify denying them the opportunity to have a loving romantic relationship because they would find such a relationship to be difficult and awkward with the opposite sex?

Well, like I said, I am conflicted. One thing I am not conflicted about though, is that homosexual or heterosexual, promiscuity and sex with multiple partners is not okay. If a homosexual person elects to live in a homosexual relationship, let him or her treat it with the same respect that should be expected from a heterosexual person.

• Hearless: "I'm actually one of the most religious people you will meet in my group of friends....which most don't even believe there is a higher power." LOL, with all those qualifications that sure is saying a lot ;-)

• I struggle with this issue as well. On one hand, the Biblical instruction on it seems very clear, however, should the true homophile actually exist, my heart goes out to them in this struggle. God knows for certain, but, as I don't, I can only make it my business, not to make it my business, in a sense. If I thought myself to be a true homosexual, I would keep to my present religious beliefs and practices, and humbly hold my sexual orientation as quietly as possible. Well said, by the way.

• Personally, I am mostly apathetic to marriage. Be it same sex or not. I do support love, regardless of age, gender, race, sexual identity, ect. It is my opinion, that if two people are in a long term committed relationship, they should be able to have a legal union if they chose to.

• Same sex marriage neither bothers nor affects me so knock yourself out I guess...I'm not passionate either way on the issue because I'm not gay or extremely traditional.

• You really dnt have you be gay in order to fight for the cause of people being able to marry who they love......plenty of my friends are straight and fight just as hard as I do cause they want the people they love to be happy as well as they do

but thank you for not being close minded

• The acceptance of same sex marriage indicates an acceptance of homosexuality and there are large numbers of people out there who are not ready for this.

We also have to consider the reasons behind gay couples wanting to get married. I believe it comes down to a legal issue more than an issue of love. Married partners are extended certain benefits under the law moreso than unmarried ones...for example, beneficiaries of insurances or being covered under employment benefits such as health and dental. OR, are gay couples just wanting to make noise about not being allowed to marry.

Personally, I'm ok with it because it is the right thing to do, just don't throw it in my face because my Catholic and heterosexual upbringing can still surface and make me go ewwww.

• I'm sorry but I don't belive in that, for me its bull

• do what you want

• I really don't care, but it's unfair that they cannot get married in so many states.

• really I'm not for gay marriage and yes I know some gays that would be better couples than some straights but really I grew up in a traditional family I have traditional views. I feel that marriage is for between a man and a woman. don't get me wrong if your gay then have fun I know and have many gay friends I just don't feel that they should be married.. but that's my view and I know that other people have different views

• You feel its ok for them to mess around like married people do, but to not actually GET married? Makes no sense to me.

• To like girls.....(sry I ran out of room..)

its natural to me just like you liking girls...

• I agree with you 100% : )

What Girls Said 31

• First, can I say I hold marriage to a high standard, straight or gay? I'm not super religious, but I believe marriage is forever, and should be taken seriously. That's why I'm not married, and me and my guy, although together for five years, probably won't get married until we know that we can make the long haul. It's important to us.

Now. I don't care if homosexuals want to get married. Let them. What does it honestly hurt? Nothing. It's not going to kill traditional marriage. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure it will do less harm than our current views on divorce.

• YESSS! I love that view. I'm for gay marriage, but somewhat against divorce. I really think people need to stick it out more often than they actually do.

• Ok here we go, so peope want to call names on here like kids huh, LOL...

my idea on this just became a little more clear. Think about this, Not everyone likes the same things right? Well does everyone like...LIVER..NO, how about...GREENS / TURNIPS/ MUSTARDS/ COLLARDS...you mean oo tell me NO... OH no I guess the government need to put a ban on it so those who do like it can't get it. Or what about alchol not everyone drinks. But he guess what it is legel to drink at a certain age. Why is gay marraige any different, true it is not for everyone, well that would be because not everyone is gay. Now I see why my friends who are gay were scared to tell there families and there other friends that are not open mindd like I am, because so many people have a problem with it, and why. What it the real problem with it. That is I think going to be my next reality check. What is the problem with gay people. If they know you are not gay they don't hit on you, and even if they think you migh be but are not sure, they might hint around but most of the time they don't hit on you.

What goes on in their bedroom does not affect anyone does it? I mean how does what my friend next door is doing in her room affect me, I would love to know that. How does her choice on who to mary affect me. Whether it be a guy name Bill or a woman named Sue what does that have to do with ME. HER decision how does it affect ME.. someone please answer tat based on a fact not an opinion. I am not fighting but this is a good question I think.. Have a nice morning, afternoon or night which ever it is for you..

• Lol thank you for the have a nice night thing it was cute=]

but you have a real good point and I have never heard of anyone use it b4 but.....there is no but, you hit that right on the nose =]

• are you kidding me?! hmm, lets use some common sense here. there are 2 sexes on this earth. you say why? because its the normal order of nature. men and women were created for each other. if that was not the case, we'd all either be men OR women. women are built to carry babies, and men are created to help us do that and vice versa. I personally believe that homosexuality is simply a mental disease, a rebellion, or the result of a traumatic event in someones life and someone holding an entire gender accountable. THATS NOT RIGHT! it is absoulutely ridiculous. and I completely oppose the slightest idea of it. ...if that isn't enough to think about, take this for instance...a woman and a man are supposed to be together, but the man (or woman) decides they are gay. the straight person will never find a true love ever again. there is only one true love to every one person in the world. the only other way there IS another true love is if your spouse dies and you are BLESSED enough with another true love.

• Thank you for this comment this is exactly what I was going to write there should be more people like you in this world :) you understand the concept of nature, if animals know who they should mate with so should humans.

• Umm just so you know......im not going to fight because apparently you are thick headed and won't listen to others but anywho......you know dolphins and other mammals are known to have SEX WITH THE SAME SEX AS THEMSELVES!!!!! ya educate yourself before you think you know everything.

thank you have a nice boxed in life.

• That is ridiculous I think that if your "love" finds out that their gay their mostly younger and not in their 80s or anything so they will be able to find "love" again and 90% people know their gay at a younger age so its not like your going to wake up one day in your 40s and say ooh I think I'm going to turn gay today. and you can find love at any age my granfather died and my 70 year grandmother just recently found love and now she is remarried so that's bs that you will never love again

• you know I really don't care people should be allowed to marry who they choose. Why is it such a fuss, just because it is not your personal preference. I am not gay, but I have friends that are.

TO ALL YOU RELIGIOUS PEOPLE, I AM NOT A RELIGIOUS PERSON BY ANY MEANS BUT I TOO KNOW A LITTLE ABOUT THE BIBLE. DOES IT OR DOES IT NOT SAY "JUDGE AND AND YE BE JUDGED NOT" SO BY YOU CONDEMNING THE PEOPLE WHO ARE GAY AND CHOOSE TO WANT MARRIAGE LIKE EVERYONE ELSE AND TO BE EQUAL TO EVERYONE ELSE YOU ARE NOT ONLY JUDGING THEIR CHOICE BUT YOU ARE TRYING TO FORCE YOUR BELIEVES ON THEM. SO ALLOW THEM TO BE HUMAN AND TO HAVE LOVE JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE CAUSE THEY ARE NOT DIFFERENT JUST HAVE A DIFFERENT LIFESTYLE, BUT HELL DOESN'T EVERYONE HAVE A DIFFERENT LIFE STYLE. I KNOW THERE ARE THINGS IN EACH AND EVERY CLOSET ON HERE THAT NOT A SINGLE PERSON KNOWS ABOUT. A SECRET FETISH OR THOUGHT THAT YOU DO NOT WANT TO SHARE WITH ANYONE CAUSE YO THINK IT IS A SIN OR NOT NORMAL. EVERYTHING IN LIFE HAPPENS FOR A REASON INCLUDING HOW WE FALL IN LOVE WITH SO WHO MADE YOU GOD AND GAVE THE THE OPTION TO CHOOSE WHO WE CAN AND CANNOT LOVE WHO WE CAN AND CANNOT MARRY, NOT A SINGLE PERSON.

• What's with all the caps? Regarding judgment, that is another misinterpretation of religious doctrine, and a twisting of the interpretation to fit personal preferences. To reject religion as the basis of moral decisions, and then try and utilize religion to condemn those who do seems hypocritical to me.

• In redard to my other message some sent me a message calling me a c you and t so I did not like that. This is a poll she wanted people opinion not name calling. And you need to read my other post further up. It is a better way to look at it. lol

• Are you serious!!!!!!

who the fu** was it??!!

i clearly said I didn't want that!

im sorry people are ignorant and don't know how to be respectful to other peoples opinions....and they say were the dumb one's for agreeing with this

• I believe 100% that you should be able to love who ever you want and if you want to marry the person you love well so be it same sex or not. Who are we to think that it's up to us (a society ) to determine who should be able to marry who. Life is too short to live your life by some out of touch governments standards. By the way I'm from Canada where it is legal to marry the one you love, so come on over with your sweety and get married we don't mind at all lol.

• Lol =]

your awesome<3

• LMAOO!!!!!

OMGG I DIDNT NOTICE!

<333 ahh I love special people =]

na did you read the one girl who was like takling about society and how they don't accept it so she won't do it?

ahh people live to much on what other people think......how do they expect to get world peace when we can't even be our own person?

• It's nice to know what people think but it's even better to be able to think for yourself. I think your nephew has the right idea, people should be allowed to be happy, that should be a fundmental right. I don't understand y people think they should get to decide how you live your personal life. It does not involve them y should they find fault with it?

• Hell yes. As my married friend likes to say, "why should straight people have all the misery?"

Seriously though, I've never heard one argument against it that made any sense at all. And most of the counter-arguments are really just "my religion doesn't allow it." It's nonsensical. We aren't talking about people wanting to be married in your church in front of your god, we're talking about people wishing to be married in the eyes of the law.

• A.

I think that a same-sex relationship is equally valid to a marriage relationship, as well as any other relationship. It's all between you and whoever you marry.

However, the problem comes with all the rights and benefits that married couples receive from the government. Married couples are the basis of family units according to the government, but as many people today know, whether or not you are married to someone is only loosely tied to who you live with and who pays for what. It would make more sense to tax based on households: people living together in the same house.

• It's personally not for me. I don't judge someone else's sexual preference and lifestyle. I got my own life to worry about :)

• True true

but like you yourself gay marriage isn't for you lol or are you saying you don't agree with it??

i know you don't judge but you don't agree with it?

• I'm saying I am not personally gay or bi and neither is my husband. But we are in love, and we are allowed to get married. Why should the government tell someone else who is in love they are not allowed to get married? In my faith, I am a Christian, God says it's wrong. But He also says He is the judge and we should not judge our fellow man. Therefore, I am FOR same sex marriage because He tells us not to judge. IF same sex marriage is wrong, then it's between those people and God.

• It's not between them and me. If their wrong, one day they will answer to God. That's how I see it. So, since I am told not to judge, I think it's wrong that we do not allow two people, ANY two people, not to marry. God is the ultimate judge, not us. So I say allow same sex marriage and people should start worry about their own lives instead of how others live theirs.

• i am totally for it, I believe that everyone should have the same rights, no matter race, creed, religion, or sexual orinentation.

People try to say that its against God, but a ton of things that are legal are against God, like tattoos, and smoking

further more if people want to bring up God, it also says in the bible that it's okay to have more then one wife and that incest is okay but that is illegal these days

and what ever happened to seperation of church and state

• Oh did you kno its goes against god to eat shell fish......its a sin lmaoo =]

• Palek, stop spreading bullsh*t. It is the principle of the first ammendment. Clearly your literal take on the Bible is applied to Constitution as well. Maybe you forgot that the principle of separation of Church and State came from a primary Founding Father, Thomas Jefferson. In his letter he stated: (Continued)

• "...that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their "legislature" should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between church and State."

• I think if two people love each other it should not matter what gender they are as long as they are happy

• I personally wouldn't do it, just on the grounds that I'm really religious. But I don't mind that others do it. My cousin is bisexual and has a girlfriend and I'll hang out with them all the time and always say "aw" when I hear the cute little stories they tell about each other.

I think it would just be easier if the whole world was bisexual.

• im not for it...where is there in any religious scripture that metions something about the union of two men or women...

• I agree with you : )

• I really don't have a problem with people who are gay, I have a couple of friends who are gay and I think no less of them

• Im not being mean don't get me wrong, but are you saying that since the bible don't say that you should be gay then you don't accept it?? There is a lot of things the bible doesn't mention but we all do them everyday cause its what makes us happy.

do you really thing we should base our whole life around the bible? That was so long ago and we have different lifestyles now. how are you expecting to follow it word for word?

• i don't agree with it, however I wouldn't judge anybody for doing so and can't help who people love. If its what makes them happy its not like they are hurting anybody.

• can I ask you without sounding rude. I've always wondered like do you not find men attractive or what is it? and do you and your partner check out chicks together. I've always thought it would be easy being a lesbian because you couldn't get jelous of your partner checking out other people because it's the same sex that you check out.

you don't have to answer if you don't want. I've just always wondered :)

• I personally do not care. I don't see why people are having issues about how other people should live their lives. My motto in this case is "Mind your own business" haha

• Im straight and I am totally for it. I believe that we all strive to be happy and accepted and if marrying someone of the same sex is ur idea of being happy I think its great. Homosexuals can be just as happy or as misserable in a marriage as heterosexual couples. Its all about change and the human race as a whole addapts to change quite well.

• i say give them what they want. it don't affect anyone else so why should they be bothered.

atleast you know your gay. bi-sexual's sorta annoy me but I'm not here to judge either

• I think everyone is at least a little gay....just some are more open minded to it.

• Ok I want to clear this up, ok what I ment by that, is not what it sounds like. ok I ment I don't like the dumb 'bi' girls that do stuff together to get attention from guy. its a discrace to the actual bi people out there, that ain't just acting bi. si this making any sense? I'm not really sure what I mean. lol

• Like there is this girl in my school and I use to be friends with her and when she hung out with me and my friends she was gay but when she was with straight people she was straight and would deny EVERYTHING! she did it to fit in not b\c its who she was.

thats the kind of bi-sexual people we don't like......not all. there cool, if its really who they are.

• Sure. If you love the person, go ahead! I do not care, it is not my life to live, and therefore not my decision. I could never imagine being a lesbian, but that doesn't mean that I am against it. Love is love, no matter who it is for.

• im strait and all but I believe that you should love how you want to love doesn't matter if its in the same sex..everybody wants that one love

• I believe that people should be allowed to be together and have a legal joinment of their relationship no matter their sexual reference, but maybe not have it called marriage...have be under some other terminology

• I view same sex marriages no differently than interracial marriages. It is ridiculous to set boundaries on whom one may or may not get married to. But then again, interracial marriages has been legalized ONLY for the past 50 years (1967). Although it may take a long time, I believe that same sex marriages will be legalized, hopefully in the nearby future.

• Love sees no gender. Love sees no race. Marrage should be available and accepted for those who desire it.

• Hell yeah, I'm all for it!

• Yay for A!

• Of course it should be legal.. =) I live in Norway and it's legal here so, yeah.. I'm bisexual so me and my girlfriend celebrated the whole night when it was legalized!

• thanks for making this poll, I think the results are really interesting, because where I live everyone believes in equal rights pretty much. I voted for equal rights in california.

• love is love. you just have to accept people for who they are are don't judge them.

• Lameroo, lameroo, why you gotta block people who think differently than you?

Re. your update--young children are very impressionable and it is highly probable that your nephew's comments reflect the things you have told him and your expressed attitudes on the subject. It is precisely this phenomenon of inculcating in our children the idea that homosexuality is simply a less common but nonetheless natural and morally acceptable practice that makes the majority of heterosexual individuals with traditional moral values cringe at your arguments. It may be natural, but it is nonetheless deviant even from a purely biological/evolutionary standpoint, and I really don' t want it being normalized for my children's generation.

• Okay good for you but I wasnt blocking people cause I didn't agree with there views I was blocking then cause they were fighting with other people.....and way to block your name.....noone likes a p**** =]

• And I don't see anywhere in this thread where people are fighting. Disagreeing and clarifying, yes, but I see no insults or personal attacks, except for your "no one likes a p**** " and attacks against those with traditional/religious values and opinions that differ from your own. Did you block all the people who slammed religion too?

• I dnt block people for what I they say I block them because they start fights which I clearly stated I did not want but whatever....i don't make him believe anything I let him have his own thought but he sees it as letting people be happy I'm not going to go tell him that he can only be happy if he's with a boy anything like that so your just understanding it completely wrong.

• im straight but LOVE is LOVE in any way between any one I mean its the pretty much the same just with different physical attractions! plus I don't think people should be told that their love "isnt right" and I mean you shouldnt be denied the right of having a marriage just because of the sex of your loved one...yeah so thts what I think

• It doesn't effect me at all so I don't care either way.

• More from Girls
    1