How long would you prefer to be engaged for?

Just something that popped into my head.

A lot of my friends are engaged or married and they've all had some "shot gun" weddings. One was engaged in December and married in April. Another was engaged in February and is getting married in June.

Is a four or five month engagement typical nowadays? I personally feel like I'd be engaged for at least a year or so before marriage.

What are your thoughts?

• 1-6 months
  • 7-12 months
  • 12+ months

Most Helpful Guy

• I'd say engaged for a year or more is best. I don't like rushing into things.

If I had to put general time on things.

- Meet and be friends for a good year+ to learn more about each other and our feelings

- If feelings remain and both are sure it's more than friendship care become lovers or boyfriend/girlfriend or significant other or whatever you wanna call it for a good year or two

- Move in together and see how living together is, do that for a year or two

- Then propose and be engaged for about a year before marriage

I see no reason to ever rush into such a serious thing as marriage.

I feel everyone these days rushes into things and that's one reason the divorce rates are high and cheating seems worse and ya... I mean, look at how people will just start going out with someone they've only known for a few days or a few weeks, then they engage in sex too soon, then they expect things to be taken to "the next level" of complete commitment and ya... it's way too much of a rush. But considering how much our society is all about "instant gratification" I can see why it is like that -_-

What Guys Said 5

• A couple of months used to be normal. It's the lead time to plan and book weddings that has made it longer.

If you're not sure if you want to be married, you shouldn't be engaged yet.

• I'm not sure marriage really interests me at all. But if I were to get engaged I'd want it to be fairly short. Just more time to figure out ways to waste money on a big wedding. I'd like to keep it private with a few people close to us.

• If you really want to be engaged that long, that's fine. Some even takes 5 years just to get married after being engaged. It all boils down on how you want to be with the person.

• It really depends on the persons moral. some guy purpose, so the girl won't breakup or leave them even when they have no intention of marrying them lol.

• I am engaged and there is no wedding date or even talk of one. We may not even get legally married, just ceremonially.

What Girls Said 4

• Marriage (The way I see it) is an 'all in' bet. Very serious and very final. I personally am very spontaneous and like to be able to jump when I want, where I want. Don't get me wrong I am a fiercely loyal companion - but relationships cost a lot in time, money, effort and more. Sure it's a great and beautiful thing to be with someone who's company you don't tire of. But there are so many things to do "before" that era. The places to go, people to meet cliche is a thing to embrace!

However if I was engaged, all spontaneity would go out the window and I'd give myself at least a year and a half between myself and the big day, It's something that should be allowed to stew nice and slowly rather than fry and burn. Gives you plenty of time to save a healthy sum of money, and more than enough time to solidify your certainty (or realize any doubts) :) lol.. I guess that makes me somewhat old school in this new time of "shot gun" weddings.

• Long enough to plan and pay for the wedding and honeymoon, however long that is. Optimally somewhere between 8 and 12 months.

I would like to get married in May and I always thought a 4th of July proposal under fireworks would be fantastic.

• I'm engaged for nearly 5 years with no intention of ever getting married(long explanation)

• Only long enough to plan the wedding. I think it's silly when people stay engaged for YEARS. Do the deed already, haha!