How much should a guy spend on a engagement ring?

The question is pretty self explanatory , should the guy get something that's expensive or does it matter?

Most Helpful Girl

• I think the guy should spend whatever he can afford and nothing more. Times have changed, and no one is going to notice if you spend less on something (and I know this for a fact!). I have bought a few cheap rings from Wal-mart, all under 10 dollars. And every time I wear them people always compliment me (they think they are real!).

Now, I'm not suggesting you buy an 8 dollar ring from Wal-mart. But If you can't afford a 5,000 ring, that's okay. There are so many different styles at different price ranges that are all pretty.

I'm sure she will like anything she is getting! Because it is from you! She's a lucky gal! :)

• Ha. Thanks a lot I was like "Walmart huh" when I started reading it then you said no so then I felt bad and went back to thinking about the zales store..lol Thanks a lot for you input. This is really weird for me to be thinking about this time flies like crazy I mean it seems like yesterday when I was throwing rocks at girls to show them I like them and now I'm buying one to show the one I love her..weird weird?lol

• Not weird at all! I'm glad there are still guys out there who want to get married! :P It gives me hope!

• Haha.. yeah well that's good! Its still weird I'm only 21 and still in college 3yrs ago I was in high school! Ahhhh I don't want to grow up!lol

What Girls Said 2

• yeah I see what you mean I agree with every one els, pros and cons to both genders and both men and women want more, just more in different qualities. Trust me it sucks to be a girl any ways I think it would be easier to be a guy I wish I was sometimes hah. I also think people want trait that they don't have to try to genetically fix it there off spring or to make themselves feel complete. Well why do guys want to date women who look better than them all the time just saying. I am shy myself I would date a shy guy if I could find one that's cute but that's seems impossible any way cause usually shy guys are skinny and nerdy and I'm not so I wouldn't date them cause I wouldn't be physically attracted to them. I'm not outgoing they guy I date doesn't have to be outgoing but if one likes me that's outgoing am I going to pass him up just cause no, not if I like him. But hey that just me so can't really say everyone operates that way.

• ignore that it was for a different question I wanted to say that it wouldn't matter to me how much it cost as long as I liked it, but that doesn't matter as much as actually getting married.

• I think it's customary to spend at least three months worth of your salary I believe. That's what my boyfriend said. To me it doesn't matter on the outside but on the inside I know I'd be giddy if my boyfriend got me a nice ring. If he didn't it's not a big deal.

• Hahaha I'm sure at the end of the day she would show her friends so I bet it counts for more brownie points if you get something really nice...

What Guys Said 3

• Back in the day it was customary to spend I think either a month's or half a month's pay on an engagement ring. Your basically buying the woman...

• You should buy what you can only afford.

It's only an engagement ring, and it symbolizes your deep feelings for the girl and your relationship. It doesn't have to be expensive. It just have to be durable and kind of beautiful to look at.

• Dude I loved this response durable and kind of beautiful to look at.. nice! Lets see that's going to round out to be 780-2000? Estimate

• We were always told two months gross salary.