Is 'traditional' marriage with 'traditional' gender roles glorified prostitution?

Think about it. He gets the money and worries about the finances while she worries about pleasing him in every way possible including cooking and cleaning. She is essentially trading her cleaning, cooking and sexual services for bread...whether she likes doing them or not.

Most Helpful Girl

• Is 'traditional' marriage with 'traditional' gender roles glorified prostitution?

Yes in my opinion which is possibly why guys generally like traditional gender roles as they seem to regard gals as prostitutes and see sex as a transaction for his pleasure rather than a mutual consensual activity.

What Girls Said 6

• boy you got it all screwed up.. You must read p*rn sites! You think that traditional married women get all dreamy of how to please her man? dead wrong! She can be tired from too much cleaning, loneliness, stressed out of being with the kids all day. Not a full hr rest. Cleaning, washing, shopping for food, appointments and plan keeping, and keeping everyone healthy. sports for kids, entertainment for husband and kids.

In the days that it was done, some men appriciated and cared and respected the woman to do that part of crappy work, while the man wisked away, to say hi, flirt with the secretary or women in the offices, or affairs after work. While stressful of course, more or less. But hehad a different environment to change. She didn't have the opportunity to change her career, or when and if the husband, got fired, had an affair, or died, she and the kids were done. Now, if it was done right, the man knew the sacrifice she gave to raise the family. 60% of men took advantage of the situation.

Today, I think that women should not give up her career ever, and when choosing a man, should make sure that she doen't prostitute herself before getting serious with a man. He should do half of work, and if he doesn't want to take care of the small child half time, he should pay her the agreed amount in return. Should do equal house work and planning as well.

But today,the world is overpopulated, China India and Africa is having kids for everybody in the world already. Women makes the man really. I think when people were living a different life, it worked easier for the man to go to work and the woman to work in the home, he had less to do and she had less to worry about while raising kids. But men and women will always want to be taken care of in some form. But it wasn't prostitution, it was slavery, and disrespect for the woman. That's why in high courts, the law says woman gets half, because she worked half for that money. But some dirtbags thinks it can be prostitution.

• i don't think its prostitutuion at all. its the way families were/are run. back then women couldn't really make it in the workplace.and the whole cleaning/cooking thing just came as common sense. like if your husband is at work all day duh he's gonna be hungry when he gets home. duh you need to clean. and the women probably wanted sex too. so that was mutual.

• wtf kind of stupid question is this. Have you been in a relationship since the 1800s?

• I don't think its anything at all like prostitutuon. They take care of one another out of love.

• Most families/marriages don't run this way anymore.

• It might have been this way in the 1950s when one income could support a household. Now, women need to have their own career.

• I hear you.

• But keep in mind that the standard of living has gone way up since then. For example the average new house is more than twice the size as they were in the 50s or 60s. It varies somewhat depending on location, but in many places two income households didn't become common until the 80s. All that extra income is actually a major contributor to the housing bubble that we saw burst in the 2000s. Bottom line is that the extra income drove the standard of living WAY up.

• As a side note. I think it was probably in the late 70s before I ever heard the word "daycare". At least around where I lived there wasn't any such thing before that. The point is that when we first started seeing a lot of two income households, it was somewhat debatable how much they were actually coming out ahead after paying for expensive daycare and other costs related to a second working member - such as costs of clothes, transportation, etc.

What Guys Said 4

• It's just division of labor and the couple can work it out any way they want. As long as they are both OK with it there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Prostitution is about sex. How a couple chooses to split the various duties is completely unrelated.

I just can't see how anyone can have a problem with allowing a couple to do things in their marriage any way they want. It's their choice, and not for anyone else to judge them for it.

• The QA said:

"she worries about pleasing him in every way possible"

This tells me that you have no idea what a "traditional marriage" is. When I grew up literally every household in my neighborhood was a traditional marriage. The man worked an outside job and the woman took care of the kids during the day, did household chores and usually took care of the finances like paying bills. I can't think of a single one where the woman was expected to "please in every possible way".

• It depends who you marry.

• Yeah, I'd say it basically was. However is a woman choosing you because of certain ratios and features of your face really any better? People are always attracted through one shallow reason or another, doesn't mean it can't build to something more in time.

• Why do you care? If you don't want your marriage to be like that, then don't be like that. Other people can do whatever the hell they want and you have no business making any judgement calls of any kind. The end.