Is marriage really necessary in our society?

I'm not talking about love, I'm talking about marriage. We all seemed pressured to get married when couples love each other just as much as they did before they got married. So why get married?

From my personal experience , love can't defined by anything, so marriage seems like it was invented by the insecure people for the insecure . A ring symbolized that person is married, whenever someone takes it off, it's considered "disrespectful".

We have people today who would die for their boyfriend /girlfriend at the drop of a hat if it means to protect them, So, why do we need to get married?

• Yeah.
  • Nope.
  • Screw love.
I'm not being pessimistic but I'm curiously asking is it necessary, signing a paper or putting a ring on their finger isn't going to make me love someone more. I do believe in love, I just question when society excepts something , we must do what we are told.

Most Helpful Guy

• For me, not really...

1) Marriage is a spiritual "thing" where you sign a paper of promises about that love and commitment to that specific church/god. I'm an atheist, so I won't make such promises, unless in the future my girlfriend wants it really bad, but she and her family will know with all the letters that I don't believe in such thing and to me that's just a favor to her family.

2) All the goods registered with your name and his/her name will have both names on the paper after marriage. Every thing you fought for in your entire life will be given to another person. I don't agree with that, just because that brings a lot of problems into a couple and I know a lot of people that were screwed because of that. If there other person wants money, Ask and I'll give, but if she wants an apartment, that apartment will have the name of the one who spend money of it. Lets say it costs 500'000 € (I live in Europe) and the guy pays 350'000€ and the girl pays 150'000 €. On the record, 70% of that apartment is owned buy the guy and 30% by the girl. If something hapens in the future, that can't be motive to an argument, since on my eyes, that's far to do.

So, marriage for me, will only make sense if there is love with out money involved. (I thing there is a contract to sign to make that happen - I won't marry if she doesn't want that contract, and I don't care who has more money, she can have billions on her possession, that's her money not mine.)

3) Marriage is considered a "must do" in society, yes. I disagree with that entirely, since a man and a woman can love each other to death without signing a paper.

What Girls Said 9

• I wouldn't say marriage is necessary, it's a choice you decide to make for your relationship. That's kind of like asking if having kids is necessary or owning your own home is necessary. They're sort of traditional milestones in life, but it doesn't mean you can't have a healthy relationship and live life contently without them. It just depends whether you want those things.

Personally- if I ever meet the guy I see myself living with forever and potentially having kids with, I want to get married. It's largely a symbolic thing and I realize that- a piece of paper and a ring aren't going to change our relationship in and of themselves. But the way I see marriage- it's the ultimate level of commitment- we're not just living together to try things out or for convenience anymore, we're saying we're in it for the long haul, going to be there through the rough patches and we're going to do our best to come through together. That's sort of how I see marriage- as the sort of final step in commitment.

As for the ring thing- I think it depends on why you're taking it off. If you're taking it off to cook or wash dishes or your hands or because you work with your hands and don't want it damaged, that's not disrespectful in my mind. If you're taking it off because you're trying to hide the marriage from other people- that's different.

• I voted A.

It's completely a choice, you don't have to rush down the aisle and get a ring, personally, I love the idea of marriage. Someone loving me so much they wanna commit forever? (I'm aware I'm supporting your insecurity thing)

I'd love to be married, but I wouldn't marry just anyone. Whether it will happen? I'd rather be single forever than marry someone I didn't love.

• @update, I appreciate your viewpoint, for me personally it's just another step of saying I love you, it's not meant to be a game, or an expensive day in my life. It's a commitment/love thing to me. My best mate on the other hand, he hates the idea of marriage, and so does another friend. She doesn't want to be married ever. They both see it as expensive pieces of paper. It's entirely down to the person and their values.

• I'm not against marriage entirely , but all the expectations of getting married is always being pressured by society is where I find it strange. The concept of a promise ring is just as influential as an engagement ring, so why can't both be as popular?

• I am open to it :) I love promise/eternity rings and that kind of thing. But even so, one day, as long as I loved the person, I'd like to be married.

• It's sad that people don't feel the need to get married. If two people are in love, marriage is a sign of commitment and of that love. It's a spiritual act. it isn't something you can just walk asay from. I think that people don' take marriage seriously anymore. just look at our divorce rate. Obviously marriage isn't for everyone, but it should be for those that fall in love.

• Dude if you don't want to get married it's your choice no one is forcing you into it.

As far as why people get married in legal terms - it means commitment. For instance a man cannot leave his wife and kids if he is married to them because he is bound to them by a legal contract. Whereas if he wasn't married - one day he is with them the next he leaves without warning.

Religiously - marriage is a divine bond that doesn't just bring two people closer but two families. But this is my own opinion so other people's outlook can differ to mine.

• I don't think it's a necessity, just a choice.

• Not necessary for me. as long as you love each other truly , then marriage is only formality. I do not mind to cohabit but marry..hmmmm

• I have no need for it, but most couples do it for validation and the rights that come with it.

• There's a lot of responsibilities that come with marriage.

• i'm studying to be a lawyer and something about making it real, official, documented...THAT symbolizes a commitment because you can't just walk away. something to think about.

What Guys Said 13

• Nature has designed our bodies to reproduce children to keep this earth living. Sex is a medium and marriage is a system to keep the responsibilities of child for his / her better survival. All social developments are because of this system designed for. It is a must. Just to be happy with someone or free sex is not designed by nature.

• You do realize that other animals don't marry each other, right? And humans didn't invent marriage for thousands of years after the first human was born from its slightly less evolved mother.

• I couldn't disagree more. I don't see what insecurity has to do with anything. In fact, I think the exact opposite. A lot of people actually AREN'T getting married for that exact reason. They're insecure. They see the divorce rate being what it is and decide not to get married and instead choose to live together and raise children without dealing the deal. This, if you ask me, makes for even more insecurity and instability.

• First of all marriage has a spiritual aspect to it through the religion it's performed in and that way it's a very important bond for many people.

Second of all marriage is a cultural symbol and an important event for many people. There are people who start planning their wedding when they're kids.

Third of all and most importantly marriage is a legal contract and it protects the rights and obligations between the couples which can prove to be financially or legally extremely important in certain situations.

• Nope. If two people love each other and want to stay together, why would they want to sign that contract? Is there a lack of trust or something? Some sinister intentions? Haha. Funny how people turn this true love between two people into a four-way with church and government.

• Oh, and marriage might be under attack, and having a lot of problems now, but giving up on it isn't the answer.

• Marriage is the highest symbol of family, and when the family breaks down, so does the society around it. Having a strong family core is pretty important to have a strong society and country. The collapse of the family structure has contributed to the collapse of world powers in the past. These days, society is pretty pleasure-centric: never commit, what ever feels good at the time, which ever feels right at the time.

• Marriage symbolizes love and commitment. It's how the human society works A mark for a never-ending bond.

• Marriage is a cultural symbol of that union, but also there are a lot of legal and financial benefits attached to it that make it appealing. It's not necessary for every couple, but for a lot of couples they do find it beneficial.

• no! I think there is enough insanity in our society right now

• Marriage has never been necessary, but I'd never say "screw love." Love is freaking awesome. And you can easily have love without marriage.

• Marriage is really necessary.

If only boyfriends/girlfriends would be present, then the world be in a mess.

Sexuality would be everywhere and it will hinder the growth of children since those girlfriend/boyfriend relationship can be left off in a snap of a finger.

• No.. It just helps for sorting names and that if you want kids.. I don't want to ever get married

• Because together forever is such a huge commitment, it only makes sense that a formal agreement goes along with it. It keeps the men and the women faithful to each other and it keeps society in order. Without marriage we lack a basic family unit in society which is absolutely essential.