If you are for legalized gay marriage...

Are you for legalized polygamy also? Why or Why not?

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, because I am not a hypocrite and I believe in freedom. It is not the governments business to say what consenting adults should do with each other. I even think that polygamy would be better for society in many cases.

• Thanks for BA. And thanks for speaking out for more freedom for all people.

What Girls Said 14

• I am strongly for legalizing gay marriage. I am not against legalizing polygamous marriage, but it is not a priority for me. I'm not strictly against polygamy (as long as it happens only between consenting adults), but I don't think it is a human rights issue the way gay marriage is.

• Why do you favor one person's "human rights" over another's?

• I don't think the people are less important, I just see the issue as less important. Let's give everyone the option to marry one other person before we worry about those who want to marry more than one.

• In other words, legalizing gay marriage is creating equality between people. Legalizing polygamous marriage is going far beyond that. I don't see why the two issues SHOULD take equal priority. They are not the same at all.

• Yes and no. I'd be fine with people legally marrying as many people as they want and getting non-financial rights and benefits but I don't think people should get tax breaks, etc on more than one spouse.

I'm also for legalized prostitution because I think adults should be allowed to choose what to do with their own bodies and why.

Basically, I don't think personal choice and freedoms should be outlawed unless they are actually harmful to people NOT making the choice.

• I agree, I don't think there should be additional tax benefits of polygamy. Those kinks would have to be worked out. For me, these types of issues are what shows that gay marriage an polygamous marriage aren't really on equal footing (although I am supportive of both).

• I'm for legalizing polygamy also. As long as all the adults participating give their consent, it's really nobody else's business what they do with their lives.

• yes I would be, How others live their lives is not my business. They say don`t like gay marriage don`t get one, and I feel the same way about polygamy marriage, don`t like it don`t get one.

• How involved would polygamy be allowed to be?

Like, could a mixed group of 5 marry?

• Love is love, no matter with who, or with how many people. The government shouldn't be getting a say on what adults - who may or may not be in love - do with each other.

• I actually am for both of them. I see no harm done. Or maybe I am just vary tolerant person?

• I am for gay marriage yes. Haven't given enough thought about polygamy yet

• No and No, because gay marraige is immoral in my opinion and polygamy is just plain old ridiculous, what guy in his right mind wants more than one woman for a wife.

• There's reverse polygamy, and of course there's a show on it.

• Its my opinion, you asked for it, end of story!

• I always hope people like you are not involved in law-making decisions. Unfortunately they are, alot.

• your so stupid.

• why should I have any say what so ever in who someone else loves or doesn't love...

in my opinion everyone can love anyone or anything they want, makes no difference to me!

• I do believe that same sex couples should have the all the same rights as traditional couples. However, I feel like the term for their partnership should be different, not "marriage" or "gay marriage." I think this simply because I don't want children in elementary school to be wonder which they are and thinking that it is normal and traditional for them to like the same sex. If you're gay you're gay, and you can't change that. I want people to feel accepted, but I don't want them to be confused.

• So what do you suggest the name be?

• Partnership or something.

• But what's confusing about marriage? Marrying the person you love for legal rights right? How would that be confusing.Children are the best learners out there. I know what you mean about the non traditional part. It will be odd for the next while in society to accept equal marriage rights for all

• No

• No I'm not.

What Guys Said 16

• Yes. Just as moaterboat said its not the governments business to say what consenting adults do with each other, as long as it doesn't involve anyone being seriously hurt, assaulted, harassed. And yeah, I believe in freedom. It amazes me how much countries that profess to be democracies are similar to dictatorships at times.

Gays should definitely be allowed to marry each other, not necessarily in the church (as that would be intrusive of me to say that "this religion should accept gays because I say so" etc.). The religion can disallow, but for the law to disallow such a harmless, trivial thing. It's no good.

• Why would anyone be against anything, as long as no one is physically hurt by it? I think marriage between the species should be encouraged. If I want to marry a cow or a gerbil, what business is it of anyone else? Who cares what God says? After all, what's He gonna do about it? Give everyone a disease? I mean, He doesn't exist anyway. Right?

• C'mon people, if you'd ever made love to a gerbil you'd never give me a down arrow. Gerbils are HOT!

• we are not allowed to marry young children because of consent

even if they verbally agree to it

A cow doesn't have the same rights as us

as we are allowed to kill and eat it

you're discriminating just for a stupid joke

• There's a world of difference between a child and a mature and consenting gerbil. And you kill and eat animals! You fiend!

• Yes and Yes. Where I'm from it has been legal for as long as I know and I would protect their rights just like anyone else .I'm from a developing country and such social rights are already enshrined in our constitution. As long as everyone is consenting there should be no problem

link

link

• Yeah but is polyandry also allowed in SA. That's the point. I mean can women ahve more than one husband?

• Yes if they wanted to, but it is not as common

• I'm for both, people react negatively towards polygamy because they think it's an abusive and misogynistic relationship(they don't seem to realize that one woman could marry many men). If every person consented to every other person marrying within that relationship then I have no problem with it

and even if I were against it, it's a pretty stupid argument against gay marriage(which I think is what you're trying to do)

• I think it 'probably' should be limited to pairs. The whole reason this is even a debate is because of the tax/insurance incentives. If it weren't for those - if marriage was reduced to only a ceremony and nothing else - no one would give a crap if gays were allowed to marry (not even gays). I mean, hell, I can hold a ceremony, if that's all anyone is after.

Do I think the tax/insurance incentives should be extended to large groups of people? yes and no. I think it invites abuse - i.e. ceo's could all get married to each other and circumvent a ton of laws. In fact, they could (and thus eventually would) get sued for not getting married to each other, because to not get married (if they were allowed) reduces their overall profits, which violates the shareholder agreement.

on the other hand, if the entire state of texas had one big marriage, that would be hilarious - worth a little more corporate oppression.

• It certainly highlights the absurdity of the government offering tax incentives for those who can legally get a piece of paper.

• Or we could just stop discriminating against single people entirely.

• You could pool the tax and insurance and make it even.

The bigger impact is really on shared assets, shared accumulation of assets, alimony.

• Yeah I think consenting adults should be able to do what makes them happy. As long as people agree to it I think it shouldn't be anybodies business but their own.

• I am extremely liberal when it comes to social issues. As long as nobody is involuntarily harmed, do as you please.

I'm for gay marriage, and I would be for legalized polygamy as well.

• I'm all for legalizing everything where there's undeniable proof of consent. And I mean everything.

• no gay marriage. I don't like gays.

• yeah, what kind of retarded question is this. Your mom must be proud ( not)

• Yes, as long as they are not allowed to adopt children. No kid should be raised in an environment where they might see, or hear 2 f**s doing each other in the ass. It's wrong & I don't give a crap what anyone thinks.

• If one is for gay marriage, then one should be for polygamy as well. I think the real question is, if one is for gay marriage, are they also for gay incestuous marriages as well. I say gay incest just so no one can argue about deformities even though the odds of deformity aren't as high among incest relationships as they are of drug users, women over 40, family history of cancer etc.

SO, if a person is all for gay marriage, and one reason is because you can't help who you fall in love with, then are they also okay with gay incest marriage as well?

• Of course, this is assuming that all parties involved are consenting adults and that the relationship started when they were both adults.

• It's legal here in Amsterdam

• Why is this question being asked on a daily basis and what does one have to do with the other. I am not obsessed with what others do in their lives.

• People don't understand that many of the same arguments against gays are also used against polygamy, depending on what the supreme court says some groups will sue to allow for polygamy.

• Polygamy is a separate issue. Gay marriage only affords to ALL Americans what is CURRENTLY the right of most. Polygamy is legal for no one, much in the same way that murder is legal for no one.

• I thought the issue was that adults who are in love could 'marry' who they want. If we're using your logic, ALL Americans have the right to marry someone of the opposite gender already. Secondly, murdering someone is hurting their right to live. Polygamy isn't hurting other people.

• "Gay marriage only affords to ALL Americans what is CURRENTLY the right of most."

If you want to get technical all Americans DO have those rights. And I know you acknowledged that when you said this

"You're one of those 'gay people have the exact same right to marry a person of the opposite sex that straight people do' types."

So you know it is true.

See gay marriage isn't about EQUAL rights, it is about CIVIL rights. Either you believe that people can marry who they want, or you think it

• should be up to the government. Saying marriage has to be between two people is very similar to saying that marriage must be between a man and a woman.