Evolving Thoughts on Marriage?

Kind of what it says. I know in the past few years (actually, months) my views have changed. I don't believe in marriage anymore, and I don't think I will until anyone can marry who they want to without discrimination. Before that, I always thought of marriage as an agreement, more than an actual act of commitment. To me, true commitment would be staying with a boyfriend/girlfriend even if it would be so easy to just, well, leave.

Just wondering about your thoughts, what they used to be, what they are now, etc.

• Want to get married
  • Don't want to get married
  • Don't know yet/Haven't thought about it

Most Helpful Guy

• It's neither. Marriage as we know it is a legal contract with economic advantages. That's basically it. People delude themselves that when they get married by the violence of the state, it means something to agree to it, and that to disagree to it means lack of love or commitment. The state encourages marriage for socioeconomic reasons, but it obviously can't enforce commitment or love so, thinking of it logically makes it a useless gesture beyond economic benefits. When I get married it won't be by the state.

What Guys Said 2

• I believe in marriage and believe it is still the same definition it always has been and should remain that way. Devaluing marriage doesn't help, but yes I plan to get married

• Jesus replied, “The people of this age marry and are given in marriage. But those who are considered worthy of taking part in the age to come and in the resurrection from the dead will neither marry nor be given in marriage"

Luke 20: 34-35

A commonly overlooked passage.

What Girls Said 1

• I think people should marry in any form they want, but I don't think they should impose their marriage views in religions that are conservative on this issue. For instance, I don't mind that gay people can marry as long as they OR the government doesn't enforce those views on the Catholic Church. Otherwise, they can do civil marriage.