What is wrong with people of the same sex getting married?

We see it all the time, the huge controversy about homosexuals getting married and how it's not allowed most places. However, I have failed to see a good argument from the opposing side. "The Bible says it's wrong" is hardly a good argument. We are not a Christian nation. We are supposed to be accepting of every color, gender, religion, and sexual orientation. If you feel uncomfortable about two people of the same sex getting married, then don't associate yourself with them. However, you cannot govern other people's lives based on your own beliefs. No one is telling you that you need to like it or be best friends with them. No one is saying they're going to get married in your church. They can get married by a judge and have their wedding free of religious traditions. Another argument posed is the problem of procreation. There is nothing gained by having people of the same sex together because they can't create more people. This may have been a problem when we had plagues and babies dying before they could even walk, but we are over populating as it is these days. Preventing same sex marriages to help populate the Earth is ridiculous and no longer a good reason (as if it ever was) for preventing them to be married. Additionally, we aren't talking about a person trying to marry something ridiculous like an animal or an object or an anime character. This is two people in love. Who is it hurting if they get married? Sure, it'll make some homophobes uncomfortable, but that is their own problem. Two grown, adult people can decide for themselves that they want to take their relationship further. That they want more, they want the same treatment as heterosexual couples get. This concept of not allowing same sex marriages is ridiculous to me. Would someone mind explaining, as respectfully as possible, why this is a problem.

• I am for same sex marriage
  • I am against same sex marriage
Marriage was not originally like it is today. It was originally a business practice way back in medieval Europe. It has change drastically over the years. Therefore, the ideal of a "traditional marriage" should not be a reason for preventing same sex marriages either because there is no real "traditional marriage".
This is just a simple question... I wasn't trying to say that this is the most important problem trans/bi/gay etc people face... just one I know of and one I don't understand.
I guess it wasn't made clear that I wanted logical answers...and I suppose I also did not make it clear that these reasons I have already listed are not logical ones.
I would like the people against gay marriage to watch this link
Oh and this one, too: link
link <this one too
The Bible may say it started with Adam and Eve... but it also says that the earth was created only thousands of years ago and in just a week... and not to wear denim.. and that women are lesser to men. The Bible isn't something we should be basing our laws off of. Not to mention the fact that we're a separation of church and state country so our laws aren't decided by any religion, no matter how prominent. Therefore, any arguments based off religion are irrelevant.
link <-- Take a look at this
Hey guys

Most Helpful Guy

• I think if two gay men or women want to get married, then they should be allowed to get married and suffer like the rest of the married couples out there.

I personally don't care. I think people should be allowed to do what they want in life. As long as you're not shoving your beliefs in my face, you could marry an animal or an object or an anime character for all I care. Who am I to judge who you decide to love, and fight with, and eat the last of your favorite food, and spend the rest of your life with?

As for all the arguments about marriage is between a man, a woman, and God...that's true if you only look at it from one very narrow perspective...a Christian perspective.

If Christians really read their Bible, they would know that the Bible say that marriage is between a man and one or more than one woman. Yeah, polygamy is pointed out almost 30 times throughout the Bible!

And on 7 different occasions, it is said that a man can take on a concubine or sex slave in addition to his wife or wives. That's some big pimpin' for the old ages right there. Some other things that the Bible mentions: non-virgin women are stoned to death, rapists must marry their victims, women are property valued at 7 years worth of work, interfaith marriages are prohibited, and there's no such thing as divorce. In fact in 5 places in the Bible it says it's best to not even get married at all!

So yeah, if we are going to follow the rules, Christians, let's follow all of them, okay?

Now this doesn't even address the issue that all kinds of other people, cultures, and religions have been getting married all over the place without even knowing Christianity or God even exists! You know what that means? That means marriage is a human institution! It is a human experience. And if two people love each other and they want to get married, then there are plenty of other places and religions or laws or cultures that they could get married by.

A major problem with this whole issue is the perceived entitlement of Christians and a lot of other groups. Marriage isn't a strictly Christian institution. And this isn't a Christian nation. We are America. We are the tired, the poor, the huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of teeming shores. Save for the Native Americans, the rest of us are here in America because our ancestors wanted to escape the same kind of persecution that we now find running so rampant in a place where we speak so highly of individual freedom and pride ourselves as a land of equal opportunity without judgment.

What Guys Said 17

• I personally don't agree with it because I am a Christian, but I'm not going to stand in someone's way if they want to get married, it's none of my business in the first place. And to add to it what business is it of the government who can and can't get married? But from my own personal beliefs I just don't think it is right, but I'm not going to tell people they can't get married or go out and rally against them, but I'm not going to support it either because it would be going against my morals. I just don't think it's right is all. That's my opinion and who can fault me for having my own opinion? I don't fault you for having yours.

• As long as you're not hating on them, I suppose it's alright <3

• Thank you for understanding! <3

• update: where does it say in the Bible to not wear denim? Or that Women are lesser than Men? And while there is separation of Church and State that doesn't mean we Christians should throw out our Christian morals when it comes to politics. I mean I wouldn't want to elect someone into office that doesn't represent me or my ideals. Isn't that the purpose of voting? To have someone represent your ideals and your way of thinking?

• The thing is most of this Gay Marriage debate is Bread and Circuses. It's all what used to be called 'homophile' organisations. Most queers don't want to get married, most queers live outside functional society. The only people who care about gay marriage are white cissexual males. And the entire basis of the Gay Marriage debate is, 'We can assimilate into your normative!' which is wholly destructive.

Actual issues that homosexuals face are like, mass homlessness, violence, poverty, rape, etc. There are black lesbian and trans* kids starving on the street right now, 14-20 Puerto Rican gays living together in one shack in slums, queers refused healthcare, etc. Under your nose. This isn't the mainstream 'gal pal' f** image you're so used to, it's not the television-friendly gay narrative. Nothing has changed since Stonewall, and nobody sees it, everyone just sees successful cis white dudes who happen to be gay, who dance at so-called Gay Pride and Gay bars, which are neither, and now they want to marry each other. These are the petit concerns of the bourgeoise!

• Good point. Mine would be what proportion of gays really want to get married. For heterosexuals, marriage applies because the majority see marriage as future. But if in homosexuals only the minority is pro marriage, then the polyamorous lifestyle gays enjoy is jeopardized.

• I get your updates every few days it drives me crazy.

• You drive me craazzyy I just can't see

I'm so excited

I'm in too deep

Woah oh ohh

Craazzyy

But it feels alriiight

Baby thinkin of you keeps me up all night

• Being homosexual is no different than having colored eyes, both are caused by gene mutation. This is not always the case with homosexuals as they can be born straight and become homos during their life, if people want to consider that as something bad or "sinful", then wearing contacts should be just as bad, right? It seems to me though that you are not really asking a question here but rather just ranting about what you think about this topic and want other people to agree or disagree with what you think just for your own entertainment and I'm going to join you :3 haha

• its a little of both.. initially I just wanted to know the reason it's illegal because I honest to god can't think of why it's illegal. Then people were being ignorant so I had to tell them what's up. ya dig

• I vote A even though it isn't exactly right to say that I am for same sex marriage. I am really indifferent to same sex marriage itself, but I am vehemently opposed to the government using force of law to prevent people from entering into any sort of consensual agreement, whether it be a man and a woman, two men, two women, or a whole group of people. Simply put, it isn't the governments business.

• I am for government removing itself from the business of marriage altogether.

• Right. It's a religious institution.

• go for it. I expect an invite ;)

• There's nothing wrong with it. Idiots just want to two cents on every single thing that doesn't even concern them. If two people of the same sex love each other and want to get married, let them get married. Nobody gives a f*** if anyone agrees with it or not.

• Anti-gay marriage opinions don't make sense IMO:

- To say it's against God is bull. No Western country I know of is a theocracy, so why base political structures or decisions on what God wants? who even knows what God wants exactly? IMO, it's impossible to know.

- To say it will lessen population, well only a minority of people are gay. So I don't see how this will lessen population growth. Besides, most Western countries have had stagnant population growth for decades. I doubt gays are the reason behind this.

• I have no problem with it. We are a nation that believes in separation of church and state, and banning gay marriage is forcing religious beliefs on other people. The only argument really against gay marriage is religious beliefs, and since we're a nation of religious freedom, people shouldn't be forcing their beliefs on others.

• There's nothing wrong with it whatsoever. Why would there be? I'm glad more US states are legalizing it, hopefully it becomes legal in all 50 states by 2015.

• I can't say I directly support it, but that's because I honostly don't care that much about it. I would, however say that anyone who is against it is either religious, way too religious, or a nazi.

• I'm a Christian, but personally, I don't see why it's everyone's business to stop gay marriages.

One, like you said, we are not a Christian nation. Our legal decisions should be based on morality and rather or not what someone does hurts or puts another person/oneself at risk. Same sex couples do neither.

Personally, I like to think God cares a little more about who you are as a human being than the sex you're attracted to. I have gay friends, friends who don't believe in God, and a mix of the two. While they aren't Christian, they tend to hold and stick to more Christian principles than most Christians I know. They don't judge others, they value and respect all life, they always offer help when they can provide it, etc., etc. So even from a Christian standpoint/argument, it seems kind of silly that the one's who are condemning homosexuals are judging them for their sexual orientation--that, too, is sinful, but that seems to be overlooked usually...

• When I saw that I had a random new answer to this question, I was filled with dread expecting another anti gay person has answered. Thank you for not being one of those hateful, prejudice people. <3

• You're very welcome.

Ha, I just prefer answering anonymously almost always. :)

• I think they should be able to have an equivalent to marriage (that's segregation boo hoo) I'm not Christian or any religion, not atheists either but I personally believe marriage is between a man and women. Gay people can be like butt buddies or something.

• I'm against it.

There's no sexual tension and the population won't grow.

• We don't need population growth. And it's not like not letting them marry is going to discourage them from being together. They're still gay either way and aren't going to make you babies no matter what. There are plenty of heterosexual people to populate this Earth.

• And since when do gay people not have sexual tension? There is most definitely sexual attraction between the partners in a gay couple. I'm like 100% sure that's the whole reason why they're gay in the first place.

• America could probably hold at least one billion people. BUT if America is indeed overpopulated, then we should immediately shut down our border and not let anybody immigrate here.

• It's gross

• Marriage is about procreation. Gays can't mate, so why let them marry?

Name a good reason that we should let gays marry each other? For insurance benefits? That's not what marriage is about.

And if we do let them marry, where do we draw the line? We'd have to allow polygamy. If society says marriage should be between people who love each other, then then we'd have to allow marriage between, say, one man and 4 women.

And we'd have to allow adults to marry children and people to marry pets. Because apparently anything goes. We can't set boundries because would be "judging" - and if a woman wants to marry her poodle because she loves it, then we'd have to let that happen otherwise we'd be a "bigot" not to.

People say, "Oh, that's, crazy, we'll never allow things like that to happen in the USA." Well that's what society was saying about gay marriage in the 1990's. Look how quickly the situation flipped.

• Actually I see you addressed some of my topics in your question. You argue that the Earth is getting overpopulated. I disagree.

"This is two people in love. Who is it hurting if they get married?"

Well, who's it hurting if they DON'T get married? If marriage is only about 'love', then marriage isn't even necessary, and the gay couple can just stay together without getting married. Right?...

• Marriage and its purpose differs based on context and culture. You're making a simplistic argument.

• Well, I was referring to Western culture. I assume the QA was talking about gay marriage within Western culture.

• Financial. It all leads back to money

The world is run by money

• In medieval times you also had incest...you can't go by those times, you have to go by now. The world is run by money. Marriage is affected by the financial side! trust me

• the only reason why gays (in certain states) can't still get married is because of religion. give me one person who is against gay marriage that isn't religious, and ull have proven me wrong. until then, religion is the true answer

• And that's why it isn't even a reason at all <3

• The answers to these type of questions are almost always predictable and conform to left wing political bullcrap rather than independent opinion.

I know I'm going to get scolded for not giving a typical pc and likely get a lot of people attacking me for having a different opinion but here goes lol.I personally don't believe that "Marriage" which has always been between a man and woman should be redefined, divorce rates are at an all time high and rising and it seems that the idea of what it means to be married doesn't mean as much anymore as it used to. I can only imagine marriage being changed to encompass people of the same sex will only make it all the less significant.

HOWEVER, by all means I completely believe in equality. In the UK, we have something called a "Civil Union". Basically this is exactly the same as a marriage, it gives gay couples all the same exact rights and privileges of a heterosexual male and female marriage with the only major difference being that it doesn't hold the specific title of being called a "Marriage". Honestly, it seems like trying to push for it to be called marriage just seems like an attempt to "stick it" to people of faith rather then really caring about what is gained from it. Equality exists in the form of civil unions but to push for marriage is unfair and why stop at marriage being redefined for homosexuals? there are a lot of people with different preferences that would like marriage so why not accept that?

there are some countries were equality even to a basic human rights degree doesn't even exist such as iran, palestine, saudi arabia etc where you will get hung for simply being gay let alone have the right of marriage. Equality should be enforced imo that respects all sides

Basically... Marriage no, civil union, yes

Ironically in the UK, reports show that it is hetrosexuals that are the ones pushing for gay marriage, which is basically just the poltiically correct who would rather not have their own opinion. gay people for the most part don't even consider it (we have civil unions in the UK).

Report

• its given a different name because a man marrying a man and a girl marrying a girl are not the same as a man marrying a woman hence different names for their union shouldn't make the slightest fdifference (as it doesn't for most). if they cared about being different than they have a problem with their own way of life.

• I disagree nonetheless. I don't understand why it needs to be different. Everyone is all just people to me.

What Girls Said 5

• First of all, I don't care about same sex marriage..and YES I am a Christian. The people who founded America were Christians and God is mentioned in our pledge of allegiance so I still consider America a Christian nation. Although, some Christians just give the rest of us a bad rep. MOST Christians are tolerable and understanding of others (or they are supposed to be). At least, that's how God would like us to be. To me, Christianity is not about persecuting those who are different, it is about acceptance and love.

I look at all people the same. I am white and dating a black man. A lot of people do not agree with interracial relationships either. Personally, I don't give a damn who someone loves and wants to be with. Everyone is different, therefore, everyone loves differently. I just hate when people talk about "Christians hating gay people"...because it's not like that at all for the majority of real Christians.

And also just to add, there are plenty of NON-RELIGIOUS people who disagree with gay marriage...just saying. Not everyone is the same and not everyone of a particular religion are the same either:)

• I know it's not about whether you're religious or nonreligious that defines whether or not you agree with gay marriage. I was just stating that that is one of the reasons used to oppose it. And America is not a Christian nation. We are a country that allows you to practice, or not practice, whatever you choose; therefore, we're not under any one religion. Also... there's word they're debating on taking out the "In God We Trust" and "One nation under God" business

• Okay then stay where you are. But stop complaining if you aren't going to do anything. I mean personally, I don't care. I'm secure in my faith so if America takes God out, I would still be fine. If you want things to change so bad then do something. You have a right to your opinions just like I do. Maybe things will change and maybe they won't, but either way, it won't affect me or my opinions on religion.

• I personally don't have a problem with it.

People disagree with it for many reasons. You'll find that strong religious people tend to be homophobic because it's against their religion.

A lot of people who disagree are in the older generation and it was never traditionally allowed as they grew up. Some people are just stuck in their ways.

Some people can be against it because they don't understand how two people of the same sex can love each other; let alone get married.

Marriage was originally made for straight couples so if you bend this rule which has lasted for centuries, you can't expect everyone to like it and get used to it straight away. I think in a century or so, it'll be the norm.

• Adam and eve

• most of the time the reason behind these couples wanting to be classified as "married" is they want to pay less TAX. my gay friend even said this when I asked why is marriage so important. they are unorthodox in other ways, why demand to get married? if they are not persecuted for being together, isn't that enough? look at all the hetero couples who refuse to get married and just call each other "partner". are they any less in love? at least they put love over taxes.

• I don't know why people say marriage is all about money. Sure there are many benefits to marriage and that's the concrete reason for allowing them to marry. I mean...just because it is an unromantic reason for wanting to get married, why should the heteros get it and not the gays? They'd both be doing it then for the same indecent reasons. Yet, in my eyes, marriage is about taking your love to the next level. Ever since I was a little girl it's been a dream of mine to walk down the aisle and

• well being a woman I feel offended that they are saying that about women. it's rude and offensive. I don't want to support them when they act like that.

• You act as if every gay guy is the same as the ones you know. That's the same as saying every straight guy, straight girl, or any one person belonging to some group is the same as everyone else in a group. And even if they were all a**holes, they're a**holes under the same flag as everyone else; therefore, they deserve the same rights, too.

• While I agree that many people who are against same sex marriage are extremely rude and hateful in their opinions, comments and action.. for me personally I don't necessarily agree with same sex marriage or couples.

1st , most people who are religiously against it are extremely hateful and are only against it because yes it is against God and the Bible and is sin and despicable in their eyes because it is, according to the bible, despicable in God's eyes and is considered not natural. I don't agree with that. I don't agree with hate and judging, forcing your opinion on someone and their life decisions. They are individuals whos ideas of love and their feelings are "different" than yours. There is nothing wrong with loving someone and wanting to be with them and to judge someone and to look down on someone because of that is totally wrong and is actually against what the Bible teaches. The Bible is interpreted in many ways depending on the individual and what they actually want to get out of it. So if your intention in reading it is to only judge and hate, then that's what you will find.

Now why am I personally against it? Please first don't take that I am against them. I actually know a few gay people that I get along very well with and interact with because they are humans, great and amazing people and I love them. I just think there are reasons that same sex people cannot be together and its shown in certain ways. One being that they cannot even reproduce. Yes there are ways of adoption or insertion through another human beings sperm or eggs but... I don't agree with that. If they were meant to be together and to form a family, then why can't they reproduce? Yes I know some people who aren't the same sex can't reproduce... but in general the majority can. Things are meant for a reason and they werent "created" or "made" to be together. Also I believe that one man and one woman are more "stable" together in emotions, balancing each other out and raising children. 2 women together tend to be very emotional and same with guys and at some point I personally don't see it lasting very long and then in the end the family breaking up and having many issues... yes the same thing happens with men and women who marry.. I'm just saying I don't see it working out with the majority of gays and lesbians and therefore divorce going up higher and more issues and torn families. .. yes there are exceptions and I'm sure some successful.. and I agree they are human beings that love each other and it is their personal choice and I give that to them because it is their right, they deserve that and I hope it works out for them. I jsut don't see it working out very well in the end for them or their families and don't see human beings as created for each other in that sense for reasons.. which in my opinion is why the Bible states against it. :)

• I think since you stated that both heterosexual and homosexual relationships and marriages would/do have problems that that defeats your entire argument. I honestly don't care about the divorce rate. I don't see why it matters. People are more free to make they're own decisions and that means if they find they're unhappy with that person, they can divorce them. Good for them. Also, sure we're supposed to mate and create more people. But that isn't the purpose of life. It may be yours, but it

• I was just debating . . I do it with everyone on here if I don't agree.

• OK, my girlfriend and I have been dating for 6 months. No children, and we don't plan on having any for years yet. Is our relationship invalid? The notion that relationships or marriage are solely for reproduction is a romanticised ideal. The purpose of marriage frankly differs from culture to culture, it's not absolute.