Is marriage really that difficult?..

I've never been married before obviously...but everyone from friends, family and strangers always bring up that marriage is hard. Most of them always end up saying avoid it but is really that bad?

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes

Marriage is a long term, what should be long lasting relationship that continuously needs effort from both parties. This doesn't mean marriage should be a constant struggle, but when you marry you become one. One persons problems become the other persons problems.

Add work, financial struggles, illness, children, school, age, lack of communication because you've got too much going on, lack of intimacy because you put the kids and work before the marriage and this all equals to a struggling marriage.

Marriage is a relationship, but it's a lifelong commitment. It shouldn't be a constantly battle or a constant struggle, but people shouldn't expect it to be a walk in the park. There will be sh*tty/difficult/unhappy times.

Not only that, but both partners have to share the same long term goals. They have to want the same things out of the relationship and out of life. That's why it's important to find someone you're compatible with in every aspect and you have to know if they are able to contribute to the relationship.

Marriage is hard but I'm willing to take a shot at it.

What Guys Said 5

• It's not difficult like advanced calculus, but it takes a lot of patience, communication and compromise. Something a lot of people struggle with.

• It takes a lot of work. It might seem all bread-and-roses at first, but reality will soon set in.

• it is hard. When you see 50% of marriages falling apart, you know something is wrong there

• 50% of all marriages. not 50% of first marriages. people who are divorced often have a habit of getting divorced again

• yes, that's true

• Yes, marriage is hard. But in my experience it 'can be' very worthwhile. I've been married a long time and even though it has had its challenges and low points, they are way overshadowed by the good stuff.

I realize there is a lot of luck (and work) involved in finding a partner who is compatible, willing to commit to life with you, and to whom you are attracted. But again, in my experience, the payoff is huge. I truly feel like the luckiest guy in the world, and I know a lot of others, both men and women, who feel the same way about their marriages.

There are some keys to a happy marriage that failed marriages usually lack in my opinion.

• If you're not willing to work at it, it will be. So, depends on how lazy you are

What Girls Said 5

• Well, I am not married, however, no I do not think it is as difficult as some people make it out to be. Like any relationship, it just requires communication, trust, faithfulness, and honesty..which, let's face it, those things are difficult for some people to do, but not marriage itself.

• Marriage needs care. Its everyday. Its moment of great happiness and also major downs. And when you go through difficult times, you need to cope for you, for your spouse, by yourself and together. Its permanent work.

Sometimes you can see it within your family or friends. A couple whose married a long time ago. Who was in love and you used to see them that way. And as years go by, they pull away not straight ahead but like love turned slowly into friendship, then closeness.

• Marriage is hard. It's a serious commitment that shouldn't be taken lightly.

You have to be willing to work on it, and know that although there will be rough patches, that it's worth it to keep going.

My parents have been married for nearly 25 years, and aren't looking to split up any time soon. I hope to be like that.

• Marriage is only as difficult as you make it.

• Yes because men expect us to do the all cooking cleaning and child rearing. Then they wonder why we divorce them so much.