What do you really think about marriage?

I don't mean the idea of being with one person for the rest of your life, I mean the fact that you pay so much for a wedding, and that love is basically a contract.

Most Helpful Girl

• Are we talking about the bureaucratic ceremony of marriage and the wedding or the actual marriage that lasts 20-60 years? In mind they're sort of two different things.

The ceremony where you sign the contract and the wedding where people spend tens of thousands of dollars- well I think in genreal it's ridiculous. There is no need to spend $1000's on a ring and $60,000 on ONE day just to complete the marriage contract. I think it's crazy how much people spend on getting married- especially when the money could be much better used on a downpayment on a house, a car, saving for kids, or retirement or even a sweet vacation. So that part, yeah, it's stupid.

But actual marriage where you have an eduring relationship with someone through all of life's little ups and downs, that's beautiful. In my mind, the part of the wedding that matters is where you make your vows/promises to the other person. The fact that you're willing to stand there and make those promises in public and go through life trying to keep them to each other is pretty special. Also, when I look at my grandparents who have been together over 60 years still teasing each other and doing cute little things to make each other happy, it's probably the most adorable and romantic thing ever. It makes me think marriage to the right person would be pretty freaking awesome.

Sure, you can live common law forever and it's certainly a commitment to each other, but there's definitely something almost next level about marriage...

I'm not saying marriage is necessary for every couple and I know some extremely happy ones who never plan to get married. And we've probably all seen some unhappy married couples. But, I figure if I ever meet the person I want to spend my life with, I'll want to take the next step and get married.

What Girls Said 6

• I love it. It just makes everything official and I'd feel a lot more secure being someone's wife. I don't see it as a contract. On paper perhaps (no pun intended) but in my mind I see it as something else. As for the actual wedding. Yeah some people go really overboard and I definitely won't be one of those people. I just want a nice, simple wedding that won't make me go into debt and is affordable.

• I like the security of marriage and the status. It makes love OFFICIAL ya know. I don't want a wedding though I have always wanted to elope and then just kinda show up at Christmas married lol. I just don't want the stress, a wedding becomes more and more about the guests and less an less about the groom and bride.

• Not interested, I have yet to meet a man who has not changed once the ring was on and not for the better either.

Think commitment can be just as fulfilling without the marriage certificate and a piece a paper is not what makes the person stay in the relationship, it is the love they have for that person.

• Unnecessary

• No. I would never get married

• Waste of koney and time... And I'm married.

What Guys Said 5

• I think that its quite stupidly expencive considering how I am paying into the coffers of a religious body with whom I have contempt for just because marriage is the 'done thing'.

That doesn't mean I object to marriage itself, if my SO wants to have an extravagant wedding then that's what will happen (within reason). I see marriage as more of a statement to each other than as a ritual to make your joining 'holy' in the eyes of the man in the sky, so I think it still holds some prupose in todays society - the ultimate gesture.

• I don't see the point in marriage, and have no intention of entering into what I can only see as a legally-binding contract (I'm not religious, and have no emotional need or desire to marry either). However, I do understand why some people choose to enter into marriages, and I fully support the fight for same-sex marriages to be legal across the world (I may not want to marry, but I have the right to make that decision, and I don't understand why gay couples do not have that same right - for civil marriages at least, not getting involved in a religious marriage debate because I know very little about it). If the girl I wanted to spend forever with wanted to get married, it is something I would consider, probably with a pre-nup though (I'm a realist, not an optimist, and divorce is always a possibility even if you enter the relationship believing you'll be with them forever).

• I think marriage saves me money on taxes, allows my spouse(or would if I had one) to visit me in the hospital, provides spousal privileges in matters of the law, and cements the relationship into a family.

• I don't think about marriage as a contract or expense. I just love the idea of long term commitment.

• Useless now. She's going to divorce you and take all your crap, so this can all be avoided without marriage.